Netflix app on Samsung annoyingly encodes everything to Dolby Digital

paulguk

Standard Member
Quite a lot of older stuff on Netflix is made in stereo but whenever I watch it using the Netflix App on my Samsung TV outputting the sound to my processor using a fibre cable it is encoded to Dolby Digital meaning everything comes out the left and right speakers. It’s great if it is made as DD but annoying when it isn’t. If I watch something on Amazon Prime using the Samsung Amazon app and is not originally DD it leaves it as stereo pro logic and my processor is able to create a centre channel. My Sky HD box leaves it as Stereo as well only outputting DD if it is Originally encoded that way. Examples are series one of Peaky Blinders on Netflix. We have just been watching Downton Abbey on Amazon Prime and because it has not re encoded it to DD my processor is able to create a centre and sudo rears.

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
Dolby Digital 2.0 is stereo.
All the broadcasters in the UK use the same DD on all HD TV channels (UK DVB-T2 actually transmits HE-AAC but it's mandated to be transcoded to DD by the Freeview spec as no AVRs can understand it). Rarely some are in 5.1.
Only SD channels use the old stereo only capable MPEG2 system.

Your AVR should be able to up-convert to pseudo multichannel by engaging the appropriate option
:rtfm:

Or if you are happy to lose 5.1 when available then set the TV to output PCM / stereo only rather than surround / bitstream?

paulguk

Standard Member
Dolby Digital 2.0 is stereo.
All the broadcasters in the UK use the same DD on all HD TV channels (UK DVB-T2 actually transmits HE-AAC but it's mandated to be transcoded to DD by the Freeview spec as no AVRs can understand it). Rarely some are in 5.1.
Only SD channels use the old stereo only capable MPEG2 system.

Your AVR should be able to up-convert to pseudo multichannel by engaging the appropriate option
:rtfm:

Or if you are happy to lose 5.1 when available then set the TV to output PCM / stereo only rather than surround / bitstream?
There is something unique to the NETFLIX app on my Samsung TV.

If i watch something that was originally in stereo maybe a classic BBC comedy for example using the NETFLIX app on the TV it will encode it to Dolby Digital. Because only the left and right channels are used in that encoding my processor will replay it like that, so the dialogue comes from the left and right speakers. If I watch a similar thing that is on Amazon Prime using the built in app it will feed it to my processor correctly and the processor can create a center dialogue channel. The same is true if I watch a regular stereo program on my SKY HD box so it is unique to the NETFLIX app on the TV.

It's not the TV sound settings as if it was Amazon Prime would do it and it's also not NETFLIX per say as I have a NETFLIX app hard installed to my OPPO BDP 105 player and it plays OK from there which is what I have to do. when it is something made in mono or stereo.

It's an annoyance though. Recent examples are Peaky Blinders on NETFLIX. The first series is made in stereo but the app will encode it to DD meaning no center channel. If I watch Downton Abbey on Amazon Prime which also is in stereo it will be supplied to my processor just like when it's on SKY leaving my processor to create a center channel.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
And what happens when you try to use the Dolby Surround upmixing on your AVR?

Instead of waiting for it to do it automatically, when you push the relevant button to engage it?

paulguk

Standard Member
There are no buttons to press. It seems that the newer NETFLIX apps encode everything to DD so if it is a stereo program or film my processor detects that, DD is displayed on the processor and the only channels used are L and R so no center. If that same or similar program is fed to my processor either from a DVD / BLU Ray or SKY or Amazon prime on the TV or the NETFLIX app on my Oppo it will display Dolby Pro Logic and I get a left a center a right and rear effects.

paulguk

Standard Member
But there will be buttons on your remote for the processor to change the audio output.
Well there likely is but the point I'm getting to is that if the NETFLIX app on my TV didn't encode everything to DD I wouldn't need to look for buttons. Every other source including the old NETFLIX app on my Oppo does it correctly. If the program has a dedicated center and rears it obviously is not an issue.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
The point is you wanted help with an issue. You have a simple solution. Push a button.

Netflix, Hulu and Amazon Prime as well and many other streaming services use DD+ for streaming.

It might be 2.0, it might be 5.1, it might be 5.1 with Atmos, but it's all DD or DD+

Rodders53

Distinguished Member
You can take a horse to water....

Netfilix complaints department here Netflix Help Center

No use whingeing here, OP. We have offered a workable solution (probably the only solution you'll ever get).

paulguk

Standard Member
Then why doesn’t Amazon Prime, Sky Hd, a DVD or Blu Ray or indeed the older Netflix app on my Oppo do it

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony XH95 TV, Klipsch The Fives Speakers & Bias Light Reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom