Netflix and AppleTV+ HDR content looks weird on LG OLED55B7V

Wulbert

I recently bought a used LG OLED 55B7V for my 89yr old dad.

It is (obviously) a vast improvement on the cheapo 24inch LCD TV that he was using until now. However, looking at HDR content from Netflix and AppleTV+ (using my own accounts) today on his LG TV something is not right.

I watched "Finch" (Tom Hanks) in Dolby Vision via the Apple TV+ app and whilst the detail and clarity is fine, the picture just looks drab and very "video" like. The bast way I can describe it is that it looks similar to when you are watching "the making of" type documentaries and you see a segment of the film direct from the camera before the filmic magic is (somehow) added. It looks like it's been filmed on a very high quality camcorder. Something about the motion and lighting looks "wrong". Same for Netflix's "Magnificent Seven"; not nice to watch.

Sorry I'm not describing this well but I'm assuming it must be a setting somewhere that is needing adjusted. I am clueless about TVs, never having owned one for about 20 years, and that was a 14inch CRT/DVD combo from Bush.

Can anyone help by telling me where to start?

mikej

Did you do a factory reset after you bought it ? If not, I would definitely recommend doing that so you know you're starting from a level playing field.

Try experimenting with the different picture modes to start with - the most natural tend to be the Cinema modes, although HDR (Dolby Vision in particular) may give different options - it does on Panasonic OLEDs, at least.

If the TV's motion looks unnatural, look for the motion interpolation settings - I think they might be called TruMotion (or something similar) on LG TVs.

One thing to be aware of is the risk of 'screen burn', as early generation OLEDs didn't have have as many features to combat it as they do now.

Last edited:

Wulbert

Hi Mike,
Thanks for you suggestions. I did do a factory reset after buying and set the TV up using recommended settings given on this site. However my "helpful" brother has since set the TV up the way (he says) my dad likes it...."Vivid" setting, max brightness and contrast...looks bloody horrible to me.
I did not know about the motion settings and shall have a look into that. I also did not know that these models were particularly prone to screen burn (caveat emptor!) but this one has no discernable burn and is in excellent condition. (Lots of the ones for sale on Ebay were selling with visible screen burn however).

To be honest, if this can't be fixed then it would put me off ever buying a 4K TV for myself, the content I mentioned above looks far more enjoyable on my LCD projector. I'm sure its just a glitch though. Cheers.

mikej

Hi Mike,
Thanks for you suggestions. I did do a factory reset after buying and set the TV up using recommended settings given on this site. However my "helpful" brother has since set the TV up the way (he says) my dad likes it...."Vivid" setting, max brightness and contrast...looks bloody horrible to me.
I did not know about the motion settings and shall have a look into that. I also did not know that these models were particularly prone to screen burn (caveat emptor!) but this one has no discernable burn and is in excellent condition. (Lots of the ones for sale on Ebay were selling with visible screen burn however).
It's good to hear that the screen appears fine at the moment but if he watches anything with static content (live news channels, sport, GMB etc) on Vivid mode with settings maxed out, then there's a chance the time it takes to experience 'burn in' will be measured in months rather than years.

As things stand at the moment, the 2016 and 2017 LG OLED models make up a significant proportion of the examples of 'screen burn' seen in the various burn-in related threads on this forum, so it would make a lot of sense to take a bit of care with the set if you intend to keep it for a while and want to avoid being in the same boat.

Vivid mode may actually have a lot of unnecessary picture processing features turned on or maxed out - if your Dad likes a bright and colourful image, then there are other ways to achieve that besides resorting to Vivid mode. I would look to dial back the settings within that mode, or choose one of the Cinema modes and boost the brightness/colour a little instead. Try and convince your Dad he may just need time to adapt to the different picture you get from an OLED - going from a cheap 24" LCD to a 55" OLED is quite a big step !

To be honest, if this can't be fixed then it would put me off ever buying a 4K TV for myself, the content I mentioned above looks far more enjoyable on my LCD projector. I'm sure its just a glitch though. Cheers.
Provided the TV isn't faulty, then I'm sure it can be fixed - the LG B7 is a great TV ! You just need to experiment with the picture settings and turn off (or lower) the motion interpolation settings if motion looks unnatural. Just watch out for any judder if you turn it off completely - compromises may need to be made.

KBL

Standard Member
Here's a general solution that worked for me re Netflix and crumbly quality, apart from the fact that HDR used way more power.

Downgrade your Netflix subscription to anything other than HDR. I went for 1080. Would hardly know the difference. I've always been one for a real looking picture. 720 even.

Last edited:

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Here's a general solution that worked for me re Netflix and crumby quality, apart from the fact that HDR used way mire power.

Downgrade your Netflix subscription to anything other than HDR. I went for 1080. Would hardly know the difference. I've always been one for a real looking picture. 720 even.
This is terrible advice. Firstly Netflix uses Dolby vision not HDR and secondly there is an issue with the TV settings not the source as HDR content looks absolutely stunning. Or should do.

KBL

Standard Member
Well it worked for me. I know it may not fix everyone's issue, but they could try it if their TV is HDR.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom