Question Netflix & Amazon 4K HDR content

CADifba

Novice Member
Reaction score
I've just recently purchased a LG 55 EF 950V and have a query regarding Amazon & Netflix Ultra HD 4K HDR content. I find the majority of Sky HD content 'upscales' really well and am very pleased with the results. Amazon and Netflix material also upscale very well. Switching to 4K HDR 'clips' on YouTube are truly incredible.

However when jumping to either Amazon or Netflix Ultra HD HDR (Marco Polo, Breaking Bad etc) the results are disappointing to say the least. It states the program is in UHD, and even the TV says its switching to HDR, but the picture remains to me just... 'a good HD upscale'.

I was hoping the quality would be much closer to the YouTube examples.

My wired broadband connection is reporting 56-72mps download - so I don't think it's a streaming issue.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm not sure when, but it definitely states that it's HDR on Netfix, the tv seems to recognise it as well - it just doesn't display it.
It seems that there's a 'quality of download' switch in account settings....so I will check when I get home..

I have the 65 UF860V and there's a couple of HDR programmes on Amazon that pop up the HDR is on banner but never seen anything bring it up on YouTube or Netflix either. Perhaps my Netflix and YouTube apps haven't been updated to support HDR yet.

As far as im aware, utube and netflix will both support hdr, but not at the moment, but amazon does for sure.

Thanks for all your help. Yes I guess just because it says HDR - doesn't necessarily mean it is. Anyway it's a moot point as regards Netflix - as I've had to remove it due to the dreaded UI-113 error.
Does anyone know if there is a 'settings' option within the Amazon app?

Thanks for all your help. Yes I guess just because it says HDR - doesn't necessarily mean it is. Anyway it's a moot point as regards Netflix - as I've had to remove it due to the dreaded UI-113 error.
Does anyone know if there is a 'settings' option within the Amazon app?

You may know this already, but a new router fixes this.
I had it using my BT HH3 router (I think the main culprit for most people), but bought a HH5 from AVF forums classifieds and it has cured it.
Tesco do the HH4 for £50 if you want something to spend your vouchers on.

Sorry for derailing your thread.

Thanks for your advice - I have been thinking of updating the old HH3 for a while now....

Netflix don't have HDR and won't for a while yet, it'll be launched later this year but not any time soon as they're rejigging other stuff first. The reason that Netflix's 4K looks like a good 1080p is because the bitrate is about equal to that of a Blu-ray, it's streaming so what do you expect?

Amazon is the only streaming service with HDR shows/films but even then, they're far and few between. HDR has also only really just been formalised and if you want to experience the best quality, wait for UHD Blu-rays to be released as streaming will only frustrate you! :p

Has anyone seen a "HDR ON" message on any of the other TVs? I have a JS9000 and it doesn't tell me so I am a bit dubious until I see a message I'm always questioning if it is or isn't on

Has anyone seen a "HDR ON" message on any of the other TVs? I have a JS9000 and it doesn't tell me so I am a bit dubious until I see a message I'm always questioning if it is or isn't on

On my LG 58UF8300 it displays a banner saying HDR mode is on when I play some HDR demos.

Saludos

HDR Netflix is already available for those that brought this year's Samsung 9000K series now , as it has a updated Smart Hub ,including a updated Netflix app, which is needed to play the HDR content in Netflix. I along with countless other UEJS9000 series TV owners have been on the phone to Samsung. They say there will be an update to the Netflix app on our 2015 HDR ready TV's they just can't give a timeframe at all, not even a "ball park" figure. I think they are in no rush, being as there are only two shows tops, in HDR at the moment, Season 1 of Marco Polo, and season 2 of Daredevil. Also someone suggested the NVidia Shield TV might play the HDR using it's Netflix app, this also seems to need an update, as I tried yesterday on my NVidia Shield TV Pro, and Samsung UE55JS9000T, and no joy. Would be nice to just have a look, and see how good a picture our TV's are capable of producing without buying a 4K Blu Ray player, (obviously I will still get one) , and paying similar extortionate prices for the 4K Blu Ray Discs as I used to pay for the old "Lazer Discs" ie £30-55 each!

I've just recently purchased a LG 55 EF 950V and have a query regarding Amazon & Netflix Ultra HD 4K HDR content. I find the majority of Sky HD content 'upscales' really well and am very pleased with the results. Amazon and Netflix material also upscale very well. Switching to 4K HDR 'clips' on YouTube are truly incredible.

However when jumping to either Amazon or Netflix Ultra HD HDR (Marco Polo, Breaking Bad etc) the results are disappointing to say the least. It states the program is in UHD, and even the TV says its switching to HDR, but the picture remains to me just... 'a good HD upscale'.

I was hoping the quality would be much closer to the YouTube examples.

My wired broadband connection is reporting 56-72mps download - so I don't think it's a streaming issue.

Does anyone have any ideas?
I am surprised by your comment, as I heard that when HDR is played , your TV automatically turns up your backlight and contrast to 100%, which on a Samsung TV is "Backlight 20" , and "Contrast 100", which should be a instantly noticeable difference. I prefer my backlight set a lot lower, but I was looking forward to having a look at Netflix HDR content. I am just aware , last year's Samsung UE55JS9000T needs a update to the Netflix app to view the HDR content. Something Samsung seem in no rush to do. Personally I think they don't treat last year's customers too well. I had weeks of phone calls , emails to and from Samsung, trying to exchange a Samsung UE48JS8500T, and got absolutely no where. Something I'm now actually relieved about as after contacting John Clayton from Richer Sounds, I got some exceptional customer services. It has kind of put me off Samsung for any future purchases.

I wonder how much UHD 4K blu-rays will cost
Looks like the prices vary, on if the movie was filmed using 4K cameras, 4K remastered, plus other variables, like popularity of the movie. Basically around £25-35

Ive been playing HDR clips from youtube on my JS9000 and havent noticed it amping the backlight/contrast.... and no info its changing mode either - but then i too am not sure its actually detecting the HDR stream properly.

Ive been playing HDR clips from youtube on my JS9000 and havent noticed it amping the backlight/contrast.... and no info its changing mode either - but then i too am not sure its actually detecting the HDR stream properly.
I think you have to set the colour space to Native, and the Smart LED on Standard, for the HDR source to work. I'm not 100% on this maybe the colour space has to be on Auto, but I'm pretty certain you need smart LED on. It may be that the clip is misslabeled as HDR. As if you have these settings set correctly, HDR source will definitely turn your Backlight up to 20, and Contrast up to 100. I know that is what happens when a HDR Blu Ray is played, and when people play HDR on Netflix. If anyone else knows for certain the Colour space and Smart LED settings. I would greatly appreciate it if they would confirm what I have put, or put the correct settings needed. As it was quite a while ago I read about these settings for HDR to work. So I could be slightly wrong. Like Smart LED might have to be on High. Maybe try and see if one of these settings works.

I think you have to set the colour space to Native, and the Smart LED on Standard, for the HDR source to work. I'm not 100% on this maybe the colour space has to be on Auto, but I'm pretty certain you need smart LED on. It may be that the clip is misslabeled as HDR. As if you have these settings set correctly, HDR source will definitely turn your Backlight up to 20, and Contrast up to 100. I know that is what happens when a HDR Blu Ray is played, and when people play HDR on Netflix. If anyone else knows for certain the Colour space and Smart LED settings. I would greatly appreciate it if they would confirm what I have put, or put the correct settings needed. As it was quite a while ago I read about these settings for HDR to work. So I could be slightly wrong. Like Smart LED might have to be on High. Maybe try and see if one of these settings works.

So I'm on native with smart led enabled... Netflix on this to doesn't have hdr yet though does it? Just Amazon or YouTube?

Last edited:
So I'm on native with smart led enabled... Netflix on this to doesn't have her yet though does it? Just Amazon or YouTube?
Some people have had a update to the Netflix app. Some Sony and LG TV's, and people with this year's Samsung 9000 K model, unfortunately I have last year's Samsung UE55JS9000T, I actually have two. I like every other person with last year's Samsung 8500, or 9000 series am waiting patiently for Samsung to update the Netflix app. It does appear that Samsung are in no rush to do this. So yes only Amazon, & YouTube, for now. Lots of us Samsung owners have called Samsung, and they can't even give a ballpark estimate as to when they will be updating the Netflix app. Slightly frustrating.

I'm not sure about all this HDR stuff. I'm watching The Man In The High Castle on Amazon on an LG 49UH850V and whilst the 4K aspect is superb, the HDR just makes the dark bits look really dark and the bright bits really bright. It's almost the opposite of HDR, there's no detail in the bright or dark areas. I'm comparing it with watching the same show on my iPad and the iPad display is much nicer and looks more natural. I can see a lot more detail. I've fiddled with the HDR picture settings but they reset the next time HDR content starts playing.

I'm not sure about all this HDR stuff. I'm watching The Man In The High Castle on Amazon on an LG 49UH850V and whilst the 4K aspect is superb, the HDR just makes the dark bits look really dark and the bright bits really bright. It's almost the opposite of HDR, there's no detail in the bright or dark areas. I'm comparing it with watching the same show on my iPad and the iPad display is much nicer and looks more natural. I can see a lot more detail. I've fiddled with the HDR picture settings but they reset the next time HDR content starts playing.
HDR like any kind of adjustment to a picture can not look how certain people like their picture. I know I prefer a lower backlight setting. Mad Dogs on Amazon Prime, looked amazing in HDR in some scenes, but totally over saturated with colour on a lot of scenes. I had to change my colour from the usual warm 2, to normal, or cool. The HDR picture, on some sources can be a bit overpowering. I am always tweaking my TV's settings, as different sources can need different settings. Oh and we all know what some people think looks great, can look terrible to another person.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom