Netflix 4k/HDR query

stuarta

Standard Member
Hi guys,

I'm not sure if there is something wrong with my setup.
About our ads
Firstly, if I use my Xbox One I get the 'HDR' option against the picture mode and some HDR options unlock and reports the res as 3840x2160 / 50hz. If I fire up a HDR game that changes to 60hz/HDR (PQ)

If I switch to Sky Q it shows as 3840/2160/50hz. If I watch a UHD programme it stays exactly the same. If I watch one of the new HDR programmes it shows as 3840/2160/50/HDR (HLG). I also get the same HDR option against the picture settings as with the Xbox so I guess this is the difference between UHD and HDR.

If I watch the native Netflix app on my TV and fire up Drive To Survive, it shows as HDR and j get the same HDR setting in the picture menu but doesn't show the res and the picture doesn't look great. The same programme on Sky Q Netflix reports as UHD 4k, I get the same 3840/2160/50 as normal Sky but the picture is lots better. I guess the Sky Netflix app isn't seeing the HDR settings.

Just curious if all the above sounds correct and want to try and get the best from picture.

Last edited:

JayCee

Distinguished Member
Your settings are okay.
You won't get HDR watching Netflix via your Sky Q box.
Use the app on your TV for that.

stuarta

Standard Member
Ok thanks. There is an option for 4k pure direct but I've never been able to enable that with any input.

Assume the 50hz is correct as well and I shouldn't see it any higher? Sky box is set to 2160 10bit. Don't really see any difference in UHD programmes unless it's football and F1.

gibbsy

Netflix on the SkyQ platform doesn't have HDR or Atmos. Sky is now showing HDR on three documentary programmes, to say Sky is a little bit behind the curve ball is a bit of an understatement. HDR is 10 bit so the setting on the Sky box is correct.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom