Net curtains in front downstairs bedroom - Yay or Nay?

Tempest

Or I could ask: Net curtains in general - Yay or Nay ?

I'm working my way through totally redecorating a front bedroom (window onto front garden and roadway, but it's very quite so privacy is really a very minor issue other than daily postman really.

I did have a patterned net curtain, and some cream curtains.
In my mind net curtains are what old people have ;) And yet, they seem extremely good and practical things.
You get almost full daylight in, and can see out, yet people can hardly see in = ideal.
Then the curtains for evening and night-time.

Yet, as I said, that's old school, so was thinking get rid of those and put up vertical blinds (as neighbor has)
Vertical blinds would be inside the window recess, and perhaps have the curtains up also, as a kind of more decorative second layer.

Now I'm doubting my plan.

I could get plain nets again, is that modern or old?
Of I could scrap both nets and curtains and only have vertical blinds on their own.

I can't decide, can you help me?
This is kinda where I am at the moment, with nothing at the window:

dc4a73e1a466c7257acad48d87ec656a.jpg

This was what I was like (nets which I'll change to plain even if I went again with nets)
And curtains, which would now be a good light contrast to the new Cookie Dough paintwork:
I fancied the contrast of the cookie dough wall and the yellow/cream curtains and tie-backs.

b8d9cebe11bf555ba1bb7f32177daa30.jpg

Or do I scrap it all and stick up some contrasting cream blinds?

77caed2b6306b886a649abda6210a3b9.png

Or keep the curtains and replace the net curtains with some brown blinds a bit like this?
(This was my initial thought)
Photoshopped together rough example:

59d845aba8189f314f01d8961c914015.jpg

Tempest

If you're over 80......then maybe a yay!..... Er, otherwise it's a big fat nay 👍😉

Thanks, yeah, that's the mindset I have.
It's just annoying they are so dam practical :(

I did google and there is supposed to be a modern version of net curtains
There is something called Voile, which look pretty much like re-branded net curtains to me ;)
Ok, supposed to be a different material, but who checks the material?

Apparently they have a "Different Personality" to nets! :facepalm:

07675db4afe2d217cfc251031f55cd3f.png

TommyDog

To be honest, from the pics you posted, you don't seem to be so close to the road and have no other properties overlooking. Why do you feel the need for anything?

Tempest

If they perform a useful function and don't offend the eyes then why not?

What's the worst that would happen?

Just to have a more modern look really as I don't have nets anywhere else.
And I just associate nets with old ladies ;)

Tempest

To be honest, from the pics you posted, you don't seem to be so close to the road and have no other properties overlooking. Why do you feel the need for anything?

You do have a point.
Nothing at all, just feels a bit exposed for a bedroom
(I guess you mean curtains for night-time, and just forget the nets?)

64999ae78229896a4506c78e65624fb5.png

I quite like vertical blinds, as even when fully open they offer privacy due to angles, but you can still have a virtually clear view of the outside from indoors.

They just felt a tiny bit stark on their own for a bedroom, hence my plan of verticals twisted to be open for days and the curtains for the softness for night-time.

As you can tell I'm unsure.

TommyDog

Seems the wooden slat sort of venetian blind things are in vogue from what I see in and around our village....might be something to look at? Having said that they are horizontal and will gather dust...

Tempest

Perhaps I should just get some blinds like these and forget both nets and curtains?
7af918d8b2fe7f915e3cf554cb84232a.png

Tempest

Seems the wooden slat sort of venetian blind things are in vogue from what I see in and around our village....might be something to look at? Having said that they are horizontal and will gather dust...

I don't dislike Venetian style, but yes indeed, they are a bugger to clean.
Got Verticals in a couple of other rooms and they seem to work well, hence was my thought

diannebye

Banned
If your happy with closed off windows at night then go for vertical blinds...easy to adjust open and close and get less soiled than horizontal blinds..if you are happy with seeing the light and still need privacy then voiles got to be better(bit of a hippy look) than true nets..outdated and the windows look like they are wearing a wedding veil...come on out with the nets...so that could be one less on the list surely.

KyleS1

Distinguished Member
Vertical ones just remind me of offices. Wooden venetian would get my vote. You buy these little slat duster things which make it easier. Saying that, my wife cleans ours. :D

Dony

Distinguished Member
Is it a spare bedroom or one that's used daily?
Personally I like all windows to the front of a property to be matching. We have roller blinds and curtains to the front upstairs and downstairs.

As per the pic, the room is not overlooked by any neighbours so I wouldn't be too bothered about covering it up (especially with a net curtain).

Last edited:

IronGiant

Have you considered shutters?
1606389686278.png

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
If you get net curtains don't forget to get matching doilies, otherwise, it would just clash and look stupid.

You could even knit yourself a nice ceiling....

tumblr_aa8412aea81af4d42ca31fcd03f62d1c_727449b4_640.jpg

The voiles are fine with other curtains as well. I prefer vertical blinds myself.

IronGiant

Like a downstairs bedroom facing the road? :D

Tempest

Like a downstairs bedroom facing the road? :D
Indeed, you have a good point, however it depends what's happening in the bedroom ;)

Whilst not initially planned, I'm starting to feel just some chocolate vertical blinds and don't put the curtains back up will be more modern.
White would be ok I guess, but for a bedroom I have a feeling white may seem a bit cold and kitchen like, and a chocolate a more warm colour.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
When I sold double glazing we were told to target those houses (with net curtains) because they contained old people that could be bullied into signing a contract.

true story.

Tempest

When I sold double glazing we were told to target those houses (with net curtains) because they contained old people that could be bullied into signing a contract.

true story.

It's sad that I'm not surprised by this :(

Hixs

Distinguished Member
It's sad that I'm not surprised by this :(

Dodgy business door to door sales. Truly appalling practices put into play.

Thing is people do it because the job itself only pays min wage, but each signed contract adds £50 to your weekly wage. The 'good' guys would get 5-10 a day....I got none and got sacked in a week!

Tempest

Dodgy business door to door sales. Truly appalling practices put into play.

Thing is people do it because the job itself only pays min wage, but each signed contract adds £50 to your weekly wage. The 'good' guys would get 5-10 a day....I got none and got sacked in a week!

Sorry to hear it didn't work out well for you.
Probably for the best as you are obviously someone who places some personal standards on having some morals.
I appreciate to be a salesperson, part of the job is to do what you can to get a sale, and try and hone in on those who are more likely to be customers, but targeting elderly with high pressure is IMHO going past the moral line to feel good about yourself.

D

Deleted member 161415

I can recommend easy fit blinds, (they might not be what you are looking for) but they are an option and have flexibility

They come is a wide range of colours, and are pleated. They fit in-between the rubber and glass and are very subtle (frameless really).

What I like about them is then can be pulled down from the top or bottom, so you adjust which part of the window they cover as you wish

The cheapest version lets a lot a light through

I have some in my garden office and can take a picture if you like / are interested

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 27th June 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Netflix confirms ad-supported option is on the way
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Paramount+ launches in the UK and Ireland
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Hisense launches A9H 4K OLED TV