Nest v2 - Easily compatible with UK systems

I've also been looking at the nest thermostats but they're not fully compatible yet in the uk, one of the problems is the thermostat asks for a USA / Canada zip code and doesn't have an option for uk post codes,so it can't show the uk time zone and uk weather which make it awkward for setting the times for your heating to come on and off

I've tried phoning nest support and asked if they could do a firmware update for the uk postcodes,but unfortunately the nest thermostat was brighter than the guy on the phone.

these thermostats still are not opentherm, they are typical on/off stats but with a learning ability. still not the most efficient way to control your heating...

The Americans don't tend to be too energy saving.

Welcome at the homepage of OpenTherm

sweetstyle said:
these thermostats still are not opentherm, they are typical on/off stats but with a learning ability. still not the most efficient way to control your heating...

The Americans don't tend to be too energy saving.

Welcome at the homepage of OpenTherm

Not that Opentherm is widely publicised or understood either - even if you go to the web page you link to and click on products you then go to a page where they have no products of any type listed! It's another example of an open protocol in e building services industry that should offer real benefits but gets left by the roadside by poor implementation or marketing.

Another problem with Nest is that the onboard relays are only 24v, so you then need to wire to additional relays I between the thermostat and heating equipment.

And with the potential low volumes and high costs to modify the unit for European use (compared to their target market in the US) I doubt there will be any attempt to modify the unit for use outside the US for in the short term (or maybe ever).

are there any good alternatives available here for uk?

avcar said:
are there any good alternatives available here for uk?

You could try heatmiser,they do a wifi version which I'm going to give a try.

gee123 said:
You could try heatmiser,they do a wifi version which I'm going to give a try.

Heatmiser are ok, fitted the wifi model for a customer to control with his iPhone which he liked. I found the screen to be very poor quality, it has to viewed absolutely straight on...

sweetstyle said:
Heatmiser are ok, fitted the wifi model for a customer to control with his iPhone which he liked. I found the screen to be very poor quality, it has to viewed absolutely straight on...

Can you recommend any other wifi thermostats for the uk.

can these systems be removed, or is it a case of when its in, its in?

It's a bona-fide fixed install, you can remove but will need to replace with something else or your system is not going to work.

sweetstyle said:
January...

Thanks for letting me know Sweetstyle,but unfortunately I'm getting my boiler fitted on the 12th November, so it looks like its the wifi heatmiser for me.

sweetstyle said:
What boiler are you having installed?

Im having a Worcester Bosch 42cdi installed, I was hoping to get a nest thermostat but unfortunately I don't think we'll be getting them in the uk for a long time, if at all.

gee123 said:
Im having a Worcester Bosch 42cdi installed, I was hoping to get a nest thermostat but unfortunately I don't think we'll be getting them in the uk for a long time, if at all.

I have the same and have the brush gas smartphone wifi thermostat and iphone app etc all works great.

onelife2000 said:
I have the same and have the brush gas smartphone wifi thermostat and iphone app etc all works great.

Is that a British gas wifi thermostat, can you use it out doors.I bought a heatmiser wifi thermostat which works great indoors but I need a fixed IP address for it to work out doors,it's doing my nut in trying to get it sorted.

It's a wireless thermostat, a unit that connects to the boiler and a hub that plugs into your wireless router. It operates via 3G - wifi wherever you are in the world.

There is a browser interface too for 7 day setup etc. you can access it via SMS and I think there is a 3G sim in the hub if your broadband is down.

It's part of this system. The security stuff looks good too. Not sure if BG is live yet on that.

https://www.alertme.com/how-we-do-it/products-and-services

Don't think you need to have British gas as your provider?

onelife2000 said:
It's a wireless thermostat, a unit that connects to the boiler and a hub that plugs into your wireless router. It operates via 3G - wifi wherever you are in the world.

There is a browser interface too for 7 day setup etc. you can access it via SMS and I think there is a 3G sim in the hub if your broadband is down.

It's part of this system. The security stuff looks good too. Not sure if BG is live yet on that.

https://www.alertme.com/how-we-do-it/products-and-services

Don't think you need to have British gas as your provider?

Looks very nice and similar to what I have,except I don't have the extra hub.I can use mine also outside using 3G but I haven't cracked that part of it yet .

Is that a British gas wifi thermostat, can you use it out doors.I bought a heatmiser wifi thermostat which works great indoors but I need a fixed IP address for it to work out doors,it's doing my nut in trying to get it sorted.

Did you get this sorted yet?

It should be simple enough if you goto dyndns and get a free hostname. Then their service can change your ip address into an address, something like "http://dave.dyndns.com"

Then on your router you would have to forward the port that you need to geto onto the thermostats webpage and forward it to the static internal address of your thermostat.

When you're outside on 3G you can use your phone to connect to "http://dave.dyndns.com:12345" for example. This also works internally on my homes wifi too, so I permanently use this address on my apps.

Im pretty sure I've made no sense, so if you get stuck I'll see if I can help.

Dan

Hi Dan thanks for your help its much appreciated but I managed to get it sorted by using no-ip and it works a treat.I'm sitting at the pool in Lanzarote
at this very minute and I can check on the mother who's watching the house to see if she's burning my gas lol .

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom