Nest Thermostat

wizzywig27

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I am moving into a new property in two weeks and I’ve purchased a Nest Thermostat to use when I move in. I have been speaking to an electrician I know and I think he’s basically telling me I can’t use it.

The image below is the thermostat in my hallway
8251CD7B-452D-405B-9524-A8272D1E2EC1.jpeg

This imagine is the thermostat in the main bedroom and the receiver for it on the landing upstairs.
BEDFD786-85F5-44D5-B8F8-21FA76955E68.jpeg

BFC05B09-D76D-4D82-8583-CA2D07E710C9.jpeg

this image is (I believe) the dual zone pipe work (or whatever it would be called)
F3E621C6-733C-4162-B8C3-EA20D59F6AF5.jpeg

now the thermostat in the first pic is wireless so there is no wires coming there to run the Nest. I am also told that the Nest can’t handle 230v which most stats are run on? Which confuses me as how can anyone install them if that’s the case?

I guess what I am asking is how the hell do I get this thing installed? One other electrician I asked for a quote from suggested hive, but I really don’t like the look of that.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

thanks

If it's dual zone you'd need 2 Nests.

Of course the nest can switch 230V it'd be pretty pointless otherwise. The Nest is in 2 parts, the heatlink which connecys and switches and the Best itself which connects wirelessly (but can be connected to the heatlink for power OR powered separately by USB)

The videos I’ve seen advise you need a 12v connection you’ll blow the nest.

I would really like the nest in the hallway where the current wireless one is, however as that one doesn’t have wiring I don’t think I can. (There isn’t even a plug socket near it)

Correct, the wireless thermostat itself is either powered with 12V or USB. The UK nest is in 2 parts, the thermostat doesn't connect to the heating at all, it connects wirelessly to the the heatlink which is connected to the heating

However as I said above the heatlink is what actually does the switching and control and that both requires main voltage and can switch mains voltage if your boiler requires it.

In your case the heatlink would replace the unit in your 3rd picture. The Nest thermostat itself would need either a USB connection for power or if you can run a cable from the heatlink that can provide 12V to power the Nest.

Do you think the wireless receiver in the third picture would have an electrical supply to it? I am happy for the nest to be installed there.

Now I just need to think about where I put the one downstairs .

You're not forced to replace both thermostats. It's quite feasible to replace one and leave the other for the time being.

I'm reasonably confident the receiver will have mains power to it, although I'm just looking at some pictures that don't really show much detail or any model numbers so speaking as an electrician I'd want to actually have a proper look to give a definitive answer.

Thanks mate. Problem with doing them at separate times means 2 x the charge from the electrician lol.

do you have any idea with that thing is in the cage in the last pic?

Your Nest Heatlinks could both be fitted in the cupboard where the zone valves are and wired directly into the junction box/wiring centre there.

If your wired stat wiring comes from the same place then you can rewire this to run from the low voltage terminal in the Heatlink.

The battery powered wireless stat location is no good for your Nest stat, so you need to find a location from which it can be powered, either wall mounting above a mains socket to use the 5v adapter, or on the optional desk stand with plug in PSU.

do you have any idea with that thing is in the cage in the last pic?
An electric heater to enable that cupboard to be a proper airing cupboard would be my guess.

I'll agree with @neilball that the heatlinks can be connected directly to the junction box and hidden away.

There's 2 options for powering the Nest itself, either plugged in to a power supply nearby, you can even use the stand sold separately and move it around if you wanted to. This would use a USB plug and cable, there's a micro usb on the Nest to power it this way

The second method uses the heatlink as the power supply, with your first thermostat (the Honeywell one) the existing wiring could be used for the 12V supply to the Nest from the heatlink.

In my own installation I ran a new cable from the heatlink to the nest for power because it was easier than finding somewhere to plug it in

The Honeywell stat is wireless so won’t have any wires going into it (I’ve searched the model online and it clarifies it is wireless). If that is wired then it will be easy enough

So there will be another receiver somewhere that connects to.

Ultimately Nest can replace either or both of your stats quite easily, the details can be discussed once you've moved in.

I would say if you can try and have a wired connection from the heatlink to the the Nest stat, it's so much neater not faffing about with USB plugs if you're wall mounting the Nest, I did install one on the outside wall of a built in cupboard with the plug in the cupboard but that was my clients choice not mine.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom