Question Nest thermostat positioning

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by eob, Nov 24, 2017.

1. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    Hello all,

just bought a Nest 3rd Gen and hope to fit it tonight.
    I'll eventually run a cable from the heat link but just going to power it from the usb plug for the moment.

My question is, my current wireless stat is next to the stairs which come down into the middle of the living room.
    House is mid 90s style open plan.

Just wondering if this is an ideal place for it as it will have a lot of heat running past it as it escapes upstairs.

These are internal walls and not exterior as advised against in the Nest literature.

The previous wired stat was next to the living room door which led to the porch.

Any advice gratefully received.

2. eob

eob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +472
    I've done a quick sketch of the layout.
    Untitled.png

3. curvature

curvature

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I would say the radiator would be the biggest issue.

For reference I installed mine 2 weeks ago and have it located on a sideboard unit that is between our open plan kitchen dining room. It is also about 10ft away from the opening into a conservatory.

I chose this location as we tend to be in that part of the house a lot and it is usually the first place we go to when returning home.

I bought mine as a gadget and a way to control the heating when away from the house. I've since added two smoke alarms and linked my Hue lighting into it.

The bonus for me is that I do seem to be using less gas.

Good luck and maybe try a few positions.