1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NERO software

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by The Foot, Jan 18, 2005.

1. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There seems to be many different versionsof Nero on offer with DVD writers. Can anyone please advise as to what I should be looking for. Currently on E Bay Ihave looked at two DVD writers. One has Nero 6.1 another 6.3 both claiming that this is all you need. Is this correct or should I be looking at going for just a DVD writer and then perhaps buying a better software package (although this would prob cost me more?)

2. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,194
    Once you have purchased Nero, you are entitled to free updates. So if you get 6.1, you can update it to 6.3.

3. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As said in the above post if you buy a legal version you are entitled to free updates so you will always have the most up to date software.

I have Nero and I would highly recommend this software as it's very easy to use and I find I get better results as it picks up less errors and I get a better finished product. There is also Roxio which is good but I went back to Nero as it was just better and it seemed to write alot quicker to DVD's and CD's than Roxio did

4. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the quick replies. Is Nero 6.3 the most up to date version then
    because on the Nero website there seems to be Nero Reloaded? Is this different to Nero 6?

5. slowen

slowen
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As far as I know it is the same as Nero 6 but you get some extras in the software but unfortunatly I cannot remember what the extra's were as I only had a quick look at the box when I was deciding which one to buy

You may find the software specs on a site that sells software to see what the difference is betwee the two

6. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,194
    www.ahead.com here you can download trial versions of the software, so you can see which features you need.

7. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if I have seen on E bay two sellers both selling NEC3520A external writer one at £89 with Nero 6.1 and then another at £115 with Nero 6.3 should I get the cheaper one and am I then able to upgrade to Nero 6.3 for free/

8. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,194
    If they are legal copies, then yes. Beware that they could just be free trials, and as such you'll still have to pay the registration fee.

9. The Foot

The Foot
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just one more question. Would using a firewire connexion rather than USB2 make muchdifference in speed for burning the DVD's.

10. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,194
    Well, there are load of issues when burning DVD's via USB 2, and firewire is proving much more reliable.

There is a thread over at www.afterdawn.com which documents the issues.

11. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Just to clarify the free update issue:

If you buy Nero 6 the you get free updates to Nero 6.1 etc, but when a new version is released you need to pay for the upgrade.
    Nero Reloaded is a new product and not an update to Nero 6, although the main program is still Nero 6 it has additional programs & features. Therefore if the DVD writer is provided with Nero 6.? you will need to pay for the upgrade to Nero Reloaded.
    AFAIK the additions to Nero Reloaded are DVD chapter and menu features that are not part of the standard Nero 6. Basic Nero 6 only offers very basic DVD authoring.

Mark.