1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

neovia 37" lcd is it any good

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by b!lly, Jun 24, 2005.

1. b!lly

b!lly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  2. Binternet

Binternet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I dont know if it is true HD or not, but dont believe that logo. Currys are just sticking them on any set that may or may not be HD ready.

3. snoods

snoods

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Kilwinning, North Ayrshire, Scotland, UK.
    Ratings:
    +32
  4. b!lly

b!lly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    It is true HD. Look for either HDMI or DVi with HDCP (HDMI automatically supports HDCP - the content protection for HD transmissions. However DVI does not have to support HDCP - in this case it would not be HD.)

Also look for a vertical resolution (the second number in 1366x768) being over 720 pixels, to support 720p.

6. b!lly

b!lly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    excellent info there guys,so it looks like this is a true hd lcd screen....
    think am off to my local currys then as they are giving a free stand and dvd player

7. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    yes but note that the only hd ready input is the dvi, so when you get hd equipment (with hdmi) you will need either an hdmi-dvi plug or and hdmi > dvi cable. not a prob as plug things cost a few pounds afaik.

8. Binternet

Binternet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Those specs dont tell us enough to tell if it is true HD as it does not mention which resolutions/refresh rates are available through each of the connectors. For example it may only support 720p at 60hz and not 50hz. That HD should only be used on true HD products but if you look through the other sets on the currys website they use the logo on sets which are not true HD.

9. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    to have an "hdmi ready" dvi input, and the hd ready logo on that spec sheet means it accepts all hd resolutions at 50/60hz as far as im concerned. Have you got an example of a Currys TV which had the logo but wasn't fully compatible?

10. b!lly

b!lly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    never bought it today after binternets post,just to see if anyone else has anything to add.
    also just seen this http://www.dabs.com/uk/productview?quicklinx=3R5Z&referrerid=FC
    and now i am really unsure on which to apend my money on between the neovia 37",the lg 32" or the acer in the link.

please help me here.....lol

11. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    but it doesnt list every resolution and refresh rate under the sun so dont buy it!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

12. Binternet

Binternet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    The LG RZ32LZ50 is advertised in currys as HD ready (using the offical logo), it is not as it does not support HD resolution or even prog scan over the components. This is an abuse of the logo. And yes it should list every reolution and refresh rate as many screens will only support 60hz at 720p and not 50hz, even though some of these have been described as HD ready.

13. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
    thats currys, the official website doesn't claim it. http://uk.lge.com/prodmodeldetail.d...Id=01&modelCodeDisplay=RZ32LZ50&model=NOTHING

I see this as a wild generalisation. If the official website has the official HD Ready Logo, it must have past the tests. The EICTA can check the internet to make sure only certified products carry the logo, but they can't visit every store in Europe can they?

14. chedmaster

chedmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  15. Binternet

Binternet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Look you are missing my point. I know LG dont claim it to be HD ready but currys do, and currys also claim this set is HD ready which casts doubt on its validity. That is the only point I am making. Currys had to sign a contract with the EICTA to use the logo and are in breach of its conditions. I am sure the EICTA will not be overly happy if they find out.

Ohh and have you visited the official toshiba website recently. They also use the official HD ready logo on their new HD sets, despite the fact that they dont have component inputs at all. Its quite shocking really.

16. b!lly

b!lly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: (on what to buy)
    nice info on the lg checked it out on the reviews section and the lg isnt true hd ready...
    so do i just go for the neovia,thing is i havnt really heard of them before.
    and i cant afford my first choice of panny pv500,and the neovia looks like a big enough screen and is also hd ready(think) and is somewhat cheaper