1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neoblade - Which SCART splitter you got?

Discussion in 'General Video Gaming Chat' started by Sinzer, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I know you mentioned a while back you had a RGB scart splitter from Argos? I looked on the website and they have two listed, one with it's own 3 scart plugs and one scart lead and one with 4 scart plugs. Which one did you buy?

I wasn't sure about the scart lead one as although it was an auto switcher seemed a bit pointless having my gold plated 30 squid IXOS cable.

Did you buy the manual switching 3 way? And then buy a nice lead to go into the TV???

Oh and as my Receiver doesn't support PL2 :( my bad I got excited in the AV shop and forgot to ask for it :( for the GC it will only reproduce PL for the sounds?

2. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Sinzer,

As it stands I can't find the new Argos catalogue anywhere... Typical >_< It also doesn't help that the argos website is stupidly slow but I can confirm that its the scartbox that has its own three scart inputs and one output (plus phono out). No scart lead pre-connected to it. The box also has an RGB button so you can turn it off and on for all inputs and yeah its a manual. It can get annoying when you have a regular RGB inputs but its better than nothing and you get used to it.

Its been a while though since I've given it a direct testing but I didin't notice a drop in quality once in use and thats good enough for me. You can buy cheap autoswitch boxes at Dixons but I believe they only have one RGB input... Which is rather pointless. The only other auto box I know of is the Quattro+ at around £70+.

As for the quality of the scart leads, I currently don't own any great ones yet. I would imagine that the IXOS leads would offer a sharper image but again (using bog standard gold plated RGB scart leads) I haven't seen much of a drop in quality in conjunction with the scartbox. Gran Turismo 3 still looks stunning in widescreen and thats the usual game I use as a benchmark.

One good plus is that the scartbox has phonos out, of which you should connect to your receiver's "TV-in" (that is, if your TV doesn't have any audio phonos out in the first place). That way anything that is viewed through the scartbox would also go through the receiver. Happy days ^_^

As for the PLII situation, the signal will still decode as a Pro Logic signal since its compatible, but of course the rear speakers would only output in mono. I would advise on a PLII capable receiver though since not only does it do wonders for GameCube games, it works its magic on ANY stereo source.

If the AV Receiver is new, tell them that you got the wrong model for a mate or some other gibberish to enable a swap. If that fails then you could bring it to Richer Sounds and see if they would give you a decent deal for it. If you need any advice on a suitable receiver just ask since I've been monitoring the scene very closely for the past year.

Another long-winded reply but I hope that helps ^_^

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    The Scart switch box you want is priced at £9.75 and is on Page 684 of the new Argos catalogue. The cat no. is 534/0370 Scart Video Unit.

:)

4. 2manyconsoles

2manyconsoles
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A company called b-tech makes scart boxes - a bit more upmarket than the Argos ones I think - £20

5. NeoBlade

NeoBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, there are other scartboxes depending on the budget you have. An AV purist though wouldn't touch anything less than a Quattro + which is £70. I might get one once I've sorted out my component connections for my consoles and DVD player.