NEO Mediaplayer Kiros 500GB

Nash__

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hiya anyone know anything about this product - seems to be a Pix own brand but just wondered if any one owns one or can provide a review. The HDMI version at £119 plus del makes great sense for me to buy as I need storage also!

http://www.pixmania.co.uk/uk/uk/590110/art/neo/mediaplayer-kiros-500-gb.html

Well, after a bit of searching I found the manufacturer's website: neo-europe.com

Unfortunately it's a) in French, and b) not particularly informative anyway!

The Kiros page has icons for firmware, photos, and manual, but none of them seem to work.

I've ordered the Keops version (which is supposed to have HDMI but I doubt it actually will). Hasn't despatched yet.

Well, after a bit of searching I found the manufacturer's website: neo-europe.com

The Kiros page has icons for firmware, photos, and manual, but none of them seem to work.

I've ordered the Keops version (which is supposed to have HDMI but I doubt it actually will). Hasn't despatched yet.

I've actually ordered the HDMI version so will review once I get it - really fits the bill for me so worth a try even for the 500gb drive.
My expectations - well having HDMI I am hoping the output should be pretty decent or why bother with HDMI? HDMI as we all know is designed for HD listening/viewing so it better be worth it:smashin:

Just got one of these and there is no HDMI, so I guess the more expensive one does.

Anyway I plugged it into my mac and the mac sees it and can read the folder and file on it but I can't copy any media onto it.

And the manual is in French so I am a bit stumped!!!

Anyone got it to work and if so how ???

Just got one of these and there is no HDMI, so I guess the more expensive one does.

Anyway I plugged it into my mac and the mac sees it and can read the folder and file on it but I can't copy any media onto it.

And the manual is in French so I am a bit stumped!!!

Anyone got it to work and if so how ???

Mine hasn't been dispatched as yet even though I ordered last weekend.

Looks like I'll have to dig my French O level text books out then:D

I expected it to be drag & drop or copy/paste. Can't wait now - I love a challenge:devil:

Have been looking at this also.
Did a bit of digging round and found that NEO (New Electronic Optical) is the brand name for products developed and produced by MCA Technology:

About MCA Technology

Founded in 1999, MCA Technology, a French based distributor specializing in computing devices and multimedia products, is well known amongst mass distribution, mail order companies, retailers and e-commerce.

Building upon its experience, MCA Technology succeeded in developing privileged partnerships with Logitech, Samsung, HP, Fujitsu-Siemens, Agfa, Dicota, Transcend, etc. MCA Technology also manufactures and markets its own brand, N.E.O. (New Electronic Optical).
(http://www.primenewswire.com/newsroom/news.html?d=116013)

Found a few contact email addresses and asked for data sheets on both the Keops and Kiros - see attached. They don't tell you much you won't already know from Pixmania except to clarify that only the Kiros has a HDMI connection. Response was quick though, so perhaps there is an English version of the manual? Would also like to know if the Kiros can playback H.264.

Email addresses were:
[email protected]
[email protected] (got my answer back from this one - in English)
View attachment fiche-Keops-BD.pdf

View attachment fiche-Kiros-BD.pdf

Ive just getting the keops one, french manual no componet lead, worst of all it doesnt seem to support vista at all i cant get it to install and from what i have read it shows your xvid movies in 4.3.:mad::mad::mad:

As I said in my previous post, I'm hoping the HDMI will provide full support as it's main selling point is HDTV support:lease:

Re not working with Vista, have you tried installing with XP SP2 compatibility?
I also run Vista but dual booting with XP so i am hoping it'll work with Vista eventually - Pixmania despatch dept doesn't seem up to much, was supposed to be despatched days ago but they keep moving the availability date back daily:(

Ive just getting the keops one, french manual no componet lead, worst of all it doesnt seem to support vista at all i cant get it to install and from what i have read it shows your xvid movies in 4.3.:mad::mad::mad:

Where did you read that it shows Xvid in 4:3?

Where did you read that it shows Xvid in 4:3?

On the dvdforums, i just cant get my pc to find this with vista, tried a mates with xp and still no luck. Beware buyers.:thumbsdow

:eek:

anyone managed to get files onto this?

I can't get an image on the TV when the USB is plugged into the back of the NEO, anyone else find this?

On the dvdforums, i just cant get my pc to find this with vista, tried a mates with xp and still no luck. Beware buyers.:thumbsdow

I managed to get it to work, and it plays everything i have put across and in its native aspect ratio im happy now.:D

anyone managed to get files onto this?

I can't get an image on the TV when the USB is plugged into the back of the NEO, anyone else find this?

Yeah you have to dissconnect from usb to get the image on screen.

I managed to get it to work, and it plays everything i have put across and in its native aspect ratio im happy now.:D

How did you get files to transfer then?

How did you get files to transfer then?

I just kept at it takeing it out and in of the usb, it worked in the end then it was just drag and drop.

I just kept at it takeing it out and in of the usb, it worked in the end then it was just drag and drop.

Hopefully that's purely a firmware issue that can be rectified - at least you got it working:smashin:

Discovered it was formated NTFS so I reformatted FAT32 and it work perfectly now.

Hope that helps someone :thumbsup:

Nice :) Have you made any format-playback compatibility tests yet? And also HD resolutions tests (if decodable in first place and properly displayed via HDMI). I am curious as I can't make my mind to purchase one Keops or Kiros. Can HDD be replaced with other unit? what's format is it PATA or SATA if so? Does the box behave like usual USB Mass Storage Device so it can be operated under Linux?
:lease:

Too many essential questions unanswered by Neo-Europe sheets :(

Nice :) Have you made any format-playback compatibility tests yet? And also HD resolutions tests (if decodable in first place and properly displayed via HDMI). I am curious as I can't make my mind to purchase one Keops or Kiros. Can HDD be replaced with other unit? what's format is it PATA or SATA if so? Does the box behave like usual USB Mass Storage Device so it can be operated under Linux?
:lease:

Too many essential questions unanswered by Neo-Europe sheets :(

Yes very true - I have requested full data sheet, in English, and nothing - the HDMI Kiros version supposedly supports both FAT & NTFS and I'm sure they state it can be used as mass storage device as that's another box ticked for me.

Glad you got it working fine "erw" just need to get my hands on the bloody thing to put it through its paces:mad:

Yes very true - I have requested full data sheet, in English, and nothing - the HDMI Kiros version supposedly supports both FAT & NTFS and I'm sure they state it can be used as mass storage device as that's another box ticked for me.

Glad you got it working fine "erw" just need to get my hands on the bloody thing to put it through its paces:mad:

Didn't get a chance to play with it last night so not sure what codecs it will really do. I will try that today

Best output I can get is 576p (component) so I think all the 720p stuff won't look too great, the short test piece I tried last night looked better on my mac than it did on the screen. If the HDMI version can output at higher resolution then that would be great!

Just been reading all the messages here as I was deciding to send my KEOPS back to pix till I went to the Seagate site that make the drive that is inside the Keops and read up on how to get pc to recognise drive.
You need to open Computer Management which you get to by opening Control Panel and then Administrative tools click on Storage then Disk Management and scroll down till you see the drve which should be showing as ST350063 etc if you follow the instruction in the Help file look for disk management, adding new disk, create partitions or volumes. and just take from there. Formatting will take ages though so find a film to watch.
Pixmania has been no help at all

Just been reading all the messages here as I was deciding to send my KEOPS back to pix till I went to the Seagate site that make the drive that is inside the Keops and read up on how to get pc to recognise drive.
You need to open Computer Management which you get to by opening Control Panel and then Administrative tools click on Storage then Disk Management and scroll down till you see the drve which should be showing as ST350063 etc if you follow the instruction in the Help file look for disk management, adding new disk, create partitions or volumes. and just take from there. Formatting will take ages though so find a film to watch.
Pixmania has been no help at all.
Hope this helps.

Thanks for info guys. I have finally decided to take a risk and order Kiros from Pixmania, hope I won't regret it. HDD should be usable on it's own if device turns out to be unsatisfactory quality by a chance (i believe in opposite though) :)

I will likely run a number of format-compatiblity, feature-functionality tests after it arrives and share outcome here.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom