1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NEO:6 vs Dolby Digital

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Marcd51, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Marcd51

Marcd51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can any body shead some light on this matter which is better out the two or which gives the better sound for TV and Music or best for both. :confused:

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Different things.

Dolby Digital is a discrete multi-channel carrier. A DD signal can have up to 6 separate channels of sound in it.

DTS Neo:6 is a surround processor for two-channel audio. It's used to "create" surround sound (via up to 6 speakers plus a subwoofer) from 2 channel sources.

If you have a DD source with multiple channels - just listen to it in it's native state.
    If you have a 2-channel stereo source then, I'd suggest, if it's music, listen to it in stereo (2 speakers only, plus the sub if you're using one) and, if it's movie, you can use DTS Neo:6.

3. Marcd51

Marcd51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Their, Many thanks for your reply yes you are right what I meant is I use Dolby PLII for my music in music mode and Cinema mode for the TV.
    I am tiring to compare if Neo: 6 music is better for my music rather than Dolby PLII music and the same with Neo: 6 cinema for TV as agenst for Dolby PLII cinema.

I did try Nero: 6 sometime ago but I did tend to find that PLII was better at the surround task and evenly distributed the sound out on all of the speakers and I tended to find that Neo: 6 was much more upfront and did not utilise the other speakers so much is that the aim??? .

I just wanted someone else’s opinion on this matter I do take into hand that allot of people have said to me it depends on the individual on this but is there some ware or someone can say that Nero: 6 is better at handling the music than PLII or Neo: 6 better on getting the best out of music more detail or better treble and so on.

By the way I do now that Nero: 6 means that it can use a third rear speaker but then again I have a AMP that has PLIIx decoder as well. I do only have a 5 speaker setup anyway so that does not bother me and thinking of adding a sub possibly at crimbo time. My Amp is the Denon 3805.

I do listen to my music 50% just pure direct mode stereo and 50% DPLII decoder and find that it gives a great sound indeed than normal Stereo listening most of the time.

I use the pure direct mode for mono sources as in PLII mode it just puts it through the centre speaker. :thumbsup:

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Aha I see.

Then I have to say, comparing DPL with DTS Neo:6 is purely a matter of personal preference.

5. Marcd51

Marcd51

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank's for your latest reply

Marc

6. all2humanuk

all2humanuk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess as someone else said this is probably a question of personal preference. I have an amp with PLIIx and Neo:6 and I'd say I definitely prefer Neo:6 for music, don't know quite what it is it's doing that I prefer, could be that it's putting more out to the stereo speakers. On the other hand when it comes to movie mode I prefer PLIIx.

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I've generally found that by tweaking the settings appropriately both Neo:6 and DPL2x sound very similar indeed. Out of the box I much prefer DPL2x (and CS2 for music ;) ). :)

8. Docta teef

Docta teef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Dont know if this is typical but when i select neo6 it does not produce a channel for my sub but does give me surround back PLII does the oposite net result i go with PLII