1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neo 6 or PL 2 with 7.1 set up?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Jules, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    I understand that Neo 6 was designed to make use of the additional back speakers in a 6/7.1 set up, whereas PL2 was designed for a 5.1 system.

I know most people say PL2 has the edge over Neo 6, but does this still hold true with a 7.1 set up?
    With my upgraded AVC-A1SE, I usually have all 7 speakers running with both formats. Is this wrong?
    In line with THX Ultra2 specifications, I’m using dipole side surrounds, and monopole surround backs.

What do you think?

Cheers
    Jules

2. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +862
    Hi

PL2 is very good indeed, I prefer it to DTS Neo. But like you mention, the advantage of DTS Neo is it gives you 6.1/7.1 on the A1SE. You can leave the surround backs on for PL2 as it does´nt actually produce any sound out of them, the default mode is "Normal" with the surround back light indicator on the amp switched ON. Stick your head by the surround backs and you won´t hear anything though. If I remember rightly you can also switch the mode for PL2 and get some output from the surround backs (Matrix On).

Just leave it set up to how you want it.

Cheers:)

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +752
    Thanks Jase.

I think Denon need to fix the interface in this regard, it can be quite confusing.
    I had noticed that in the 'normal' setting the surround backs are not on during PL2, but the surround back light still comes on.

I just wondered what other people do with their PL2 / Neo 6 options in a 7.1 set up.

Cheers
    Jules