• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Neill Blomkamp - Oats Studio Shorts

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Neill Blomkamp is getting back to his roots, making experimental short films in this instance via his fledgling Oats Studio. Featuring familiar faces, includes Sigourney Weaver

looks like a Aliens/Predator mash up, i bet the studios come knocking, don't open for Ridley Scott!!

Could this be his Aliens 5 fudge you? :p

Teaser

bash

Prominent Member
I like it because it reminds me of my fave 80s sci fi

Lusankya

Prominent Member
I really enjoyed that. The effects were amazing. A decent story. Puts me in every confidence that his Alien 5 would have been a spectacular sight.

Looking forward to his next film.

Lusankya

Prominent Member
I found those quite amusing in a very surreal way.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Enjoyed Zygote; Blomkamp seems to be hammering home the message (as if we didn't already get it) that he'd still love to make that Aliens movie. Dakota Fanning is great in it (welcome back, girl) and would have made a brilliant older 'Newt'.

One of the youtube comments points out that the creature gives this a 'Dead Space' vibe, which isn't far off. I loved those games. If Blomkamp cant get his hand on Aliens, then make a Dead Space movie!

Lusankya

Prominent Member
So after watching the excellent Rakka and Fire Base. I watched the very short, next shorts by NB.

Whilst they are fun and surreal I believe they are digs at Ridley Scott.

The first is about god. God is sat in wingback reading a book whilst a butler tends to him. In the room is a large model of with an early man type civilisation. Doing rain dances and creating fire etc.

God is interested in the same way an elderly grandparent is in a playful cat or dog. At first he seems disinterested but slightly curious. As the tribe grows his interest grows. He has the butler play around with the tribe giving them rain etc then eventually when he is bored, flippantly has them killed by a plague with no remorse shown.

This seems to me to be a parody of how NBs involvement of Alien5 played out. Ridley gave no sh*ts about it at first, then decided it was his baby and put a stop to it. The god analogy is two fold in my opinion. First is the Ridley pulling the strings with Fox about Alien 5. The second is Ridley seems to very preoccupied with religion and his place in the universe these days. This is highlighted in interviews and the dreadful prequels he is churning out. In interviews he comes across like he is tapped into a higher former consciousness that the rest of are not party too.

The next shorts are based on a cooking/infomercial show from the early 80s I'd say. Each one demonstrates a new piece of cookery tech that will turn any ingredient into a culinary delight.

Each time the machine churns out some thing repulsive, vomit inducing from hair sushi to rotting entrails despite excellent ingredients. There are 3 of these shorts and I think they are aimed squarely at the Alien prequels.

Prometheus for instance. One of the greatest films ever made in Alien, a massive fan base with lots of unanswered questions, the arguably brilliant orginal director returning, modern special effects. What could go wrong. I know there are some fans out there but the vast majority found it to be turd rolled in very pretty glitter.

Covanent wasn't much better and the second shorts follows a similar vein to first as does the third.

I'm assuming although the 3rd prequel isn't made yet that NB has little faith it will be any good. It's my take anyway.

I may be coming across as a Ridley hater on the forum and I am not. I don't think he is a great direct and believe him to be vastly over rated. I think many of his films are good but there is also lot of bad as well. I think his attitude stinks. No one should ever get a free pass and no true artist should ever want one.

Lusankya

Prominent Member

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Neill Blomkamp wrote and directed a short film using the Unity game engine.

Blomkamp, alongside Oats Studios, created the second video in the Adam story (the first Chapter 1 is below), which was designed to show off graphical advances made with the popular game engine.

The video below is Adam: The Mirror, which was made in real-time using Unity. In it, the amnesiac hero discovers a clue about what and who he is.

chapter 1

raigraphixs

Distinguished Member
Blomkamp in the progress of turning one of shorts into a feature film, saying his next move will either be crowd-funding Firebase as a feature film or developing/crowd-funding Zygote as Oats’ first feature.

Lusankya

Prominent Member
Very cool.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom