1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neil Young - On The Beach

Discussion in 'Music & Music Streaming Services' started by Cheese Police, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is coming out soon on CD for the first time (so I understand). Has anyone heard the LP?

2. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes I have heard it its great album . Buy it now . I have been waiting for this album for last many years had it on tape and then lost the tape been looking for this. If you you are Neil young fan listen to the following

Harvest
    Decade
    After the Gold Rush
    Rust never sleeps

I will recomand you more once you have listened to these albums .He has some experimental and not good album as well so listen before you buy .But by all counts he is living legend . Also do try to buy Crosby Stills and Nash and Young albums .

Jazzartist

3. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Heard lots about this 'mythical' album over the years. Needless to say, I have my copy on order and I'm looking forward to it greatly...especially as I'm going through a 'Wilco' phase at the minute.

4. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah yes, Wilco. I bought the Uncle Tupelo anthology last year and loved it, then on the strength of this bought every single Wilco album in one go. I have to say that although Jeff Tweedy's lyrics are brilliant, the music doesn't really do it for me, and is perhaps a bit too jaunty - much prefered the country feel of Uncle Tupelo (Moonshiner, Watch me fall), as well as some of their rock-out moments. Has anyone checked out Son Volt, Jay Farrar's band? I liked his songwriting for UT, but was not so keen on the ultra-earnest vocals (hard to please, I know). Would be curious to know what people think. Thanks for the tip about On the beach - will place an order.

5. Argento

Argento

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is also going to be released (with 3 more Neil Young albums) on DVD-A format in the next couple of months......

Rich

6. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    "On The Beach" officially released at last! :clap: I can finally ditch my CD that a mate copied for me a number of years ago from his Dad's original 70's LP, complete with a few pops & crackles!

One of Mr Young's best albums in my book, easily in my top 5 favourites of his - along with Zuma, Rust Never Sleeps, After The Goldrush & Live Rust.

Out of the other 3 CD's that are being released at the same time, "American Stars & Bars" & "Hawks & Doves" are a bit of a mixed bag while "Re-Ac-Tor" is pretty dire.

I think I'll pick up "AS&B's" and "H&D's" as at they at least have some merit, including such tracks as 'Like A Hurricane" and "Little Wing", but It'll take some convincing for me to give "Re-Ac-Tor" another listen! Maybe if I find it on eBay for 2 quid. :D

If I may I'll add a few more recommendations to jazzartist's list...

Everybody Knows This is Nowhere
    Tonight's The Night
    Freedom
    Unplugged
    Ragged Glory

and if you want to try out some C,S,N & Y then these two are easily your best bet...

Deja Vu
    4 Way Street (2 CD live album - superb!)

7. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't have all of his albums, but one album I love, and that hasn't been mentioned is Harvest Moon. Songs like From Hank to Hendrix, You and me, Dreamin' man are really accomplished. The production is excellent and there are some great love songs. It's supposed to be inspired by Harvest, but I think there are more good songs on it (certainly none of the preposterous orchestral numbers). IMHO.

8. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    No Neil Young recommendation list would be complete without a nod to Weld, one of the finest live albums you could wish to hear.

Incendiary.

9. Jazzartist

Jazzartist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crazy Horse ,

I am very exicted to have found a true Neil young fan like you.I think your name Crazy Horse is inspired by the Neil Young band Crazy Horse ? I have been a Neil young fan for more then two decades. He is ne of the great living Rock leagnd around. Your chioces are quite similiar to mine . I I forgot to recomand a few last time which are are as follows:

Comes a Time
    Live Rust
    Are yo Passionate?

You know he had an exiting carrer and he tried evrything from Electronic to Country . Some of his albums are great and some of experimental album are quite difficult to accpet for his dedicated
    fans who are so hooked with his older style. I consider Live rust to be his best Live performance it includes songs like Sugar Mountain,Powder finger , Like ahurrivcen,My my hey hey to name a few.My my hey hey was dedicated to his friend who died of Drug overdose.
    He wrote graet love songs like Lotta love which Nicolate larson sang and made it to the charts.He also wrote great protest songs like Ohio with CSYN, this song was writen after four students were killed in Ohio Sate university who were protesting Vietnam war it was during the Nixon preisdency . CSYN were very quick to rasie there voice and they came out with the song Ohio .

He was never commercial minded and the record comany was never happy about the fact , they were pressing Neil young to write and sing more comercial material which will appeal to the wider audince but as usual Neil young never never listened to them and struck to his own materials . The record sales were much below the expectation and the record company penalized him , this record company was either Gefen or Reprise I dont rember the correct name at the moment . On protest Neil young came out with the album titled " This Notes for you " which contained song agaiinst the record company .

One of his best performances were with CSN& Y years . They had some fine albums like

CSN Without Neil young
    Four way street - Best CSNY live album
    SO Far - Greatest hits

CSN reunited with Neil young quite on and off but it never produced any exceptional album like the older years.
    One of their reunioun album I like is "American Dream"

I had the On the Beach album on tape it was lost and I never got hold of this album because its very difficult to find LP nowadys hardly anyone uses them in our country . Do you have any neil Young Music DVD by the way if you have it how is the video ?

Cheese Police,

Harvest Moon is actually relased on the twentieth anniversey of Harvest the original album.Harvest is considered the best Neil young album he was at his peak at the time . It has some his finest songs like ,

Harvest
    Heart of Gold
    Old man
    The neddle and the damage done.
    Buy the album if you dont have it you wont regret it . Regards.

Jazzartist

10. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261

Whiting, my sentiments exactly.

I like Harvest and After the Gold Rush, but weld and Rust never sleeps do it for me.

The weld tour was even supported by Sonic Youth (another of my favourite albums:smashin: Daydream Nation, Whiting, I bet you have that in your collection as well).

11. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    And Sonic Youth encouraged Young to release the live feedback addition to Weld, namely Arc-Weld.

I do have 'Daydream Nation' - a Russian import copy no less. Re-visited 'Dirty' recently too and that's a forgotten classic.

Thurston Moore - Anyone who plays guitar with a screwdriver is alright by me.

12. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    :rolleyes: I sound like Im playing with a screwdriver...does that count:blush:

13. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I apologise for injecting a sour note into a very pleasant thread, but I feel Jazzartist's comments were slightly patronising. I don't own all of NY's albums, but I do own Harvest and Harvest Moon, and am certainly capable of making a value judgement about their relative merits. Just because an album is 30 years old does not automatically make it better than one that is only 10 years old - likewise, something might well be 'considered' to be the best album, but that doesn't invalidate my comments. We're not dealing with absolutes. Of course I know (and love) Old Man, Needle and the damage done etc... my point was about some of the pompous and whiny tracks, which I always skip - hardly a ringing endorsement. But we're splitting hairs...

Thanks for the tips everyone, I'm going to buy the CSNY live album - already have a CSN best of double CD, but I saw them on the film of Woodstock, and they sound great live.

14. Whiting

Whiting

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Some more Neil Young news courtesy of the NME :

NEIL NEVER SLEEPS!

NEIL YOUNG is to precede the release of his new studio album by re-releasing his classic 'RUST NEVER SLEEPS' concert on both DVD and video.

Originally performed 25 years ago at San Francisco's Cow Palace in October 1978, 'Rust Never Sleeps' is widely thought to be one of the best rock'n'roll concert performances ever filmed.

Produced and directed by Neil Young himself, under his alias of Bernard Shakey, the DVD/video is re-released on August 4.

Young 's new studio album 'Greendale', which he previewed in full on his recent acoustic European tour, follows on August 18.

It's been a busy time for the singer, following the recent release of four of his back catalogue albums on CD for the first time - 'On The Beach', 'Hawks & Doves', 'American Stars'n'Bars', and 'Re-ac-tor'.

15. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Excellent news! On a slight tangent, I saw Supergrass in concert last night - they rocked - and they played a cover of The Loner. Absolutely brilliant, but maybe a bit lost on the crowd (average age 17-18).

16. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Yep! (sorry for taking so long to reply BTW)

Have you heard Crazy Horse's own first album which contains the original version of 'I Don't Want To Talk About It'? Jack Nitchze & Ry Cooder both play on the track and it knocks spots off other more famous versions of the song by Rod Stewart and Everything But The Girl IMHO. Danny Whitten wrote it and sings lead vocal and is one of Neil's friends who died of a drugs overdose, the other being roadie Bruce Berry. The loss of both men informed much of his songwriting at the time that can be heard on the aforementioned 'On the Beach' album and even more painfully evident on 'Tonight's the Night'.

Another album worth checking out is 'Head Like A Rock' by Ian McNabb on which Crazy Horse join him for 4 tracks - quite a chunk of the album as the shortest track is around 6 mins and the longest is around 10mins! Great Neil influenced grunge style rock!

A little more hard to find these days is McNabb's later album 'Merseybeast' the original issue of which came with a second live CD featuring recordings from Ian & Crazy Horse when he brought them over to the UK for a short tour around 10 years ago - they also played Glastonbury, I believe. I saw them in Manchester and it was a truly memorable gig with plenty of famous faces checking them out - I'm not sure if Noel & Liam were there that night but I know they were at one of the gigs and it was their home turf. I also remember Peter Hook pushing past me in the crowd and nearly spilling the three pints of lager I was trying to carry back from the bar..the little oik! :nono:

Well worth picking up if you can find them for the CH tracks - McNabb's a big talent too and I'm a long time fan, but that's another thread!

17. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Great to see these albums on CD at last.

Been living without "On The Beach" - one of my favourite albums -since 1989 when I sold it on vinyl, albeit for a hefty price, along with a load of other Young originals to an American collector. I presumed it would be out on CD along with all the rest of his stuff that was trickling out at the time. Duh!

Didn't reckon on Young's rather bizarre and outmoded views on vinyl vs. CD did we? But why did he hold only these four albums and "Journey Through The Past" back, yet let everything else out?

Still we've got it at last.

Also picked up "Four Way Street" by CSNY, remastered double CD with bonus tracks from the HMV sale for £9.99. Sounds great. Might I add my vote for "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" as one of the finest pieces of plastic ever pressed?

18. ratso-rizzo

ratso-rizzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is one other album which has not been released on CD (other than JTTP - which doesn't really merit a CD release IMHO). It's called 'Time Fades Away' and I reckon it's right up there with 'On The Beach' and 'Tonight's The Night'. It's a live album of previously unreleased tracks including such absolute classics as 'Don't Be Denied', 'Time Fades Away', 'Journey Through The Past' and 'The Bridge'.

It's a ragged recording, Young was still going mourning the loss of his friends at the time and was on the point of losing it during the tour the album is taken from. He eventually had to draft in David Crosby and Steve Stills to keep the show on the road.

I can't for the life of me understand why it wasn't released on CD with 'On The Beach'. Vinyl copies are easy to come by on eBay - you could do a lot worse.

19. the_pauley

the_pauley
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    God yes, how could I forget about "Time Fades Away" great album - and again another one I let go of on vinyl expecting an imminent CD release.

20. ratso-rizzo

ratso-rizzo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Crazy Horse,

After reading your comments on Ian McNabb, I bought both of the Cds you mention (always did like The Icicle Works) and they are both excellent. Do you know if NY had any input into HLAR - the lead guitar part sounds identical to him, both in sound and in style. I thought maybe he might have played on the tracks but was not named for contractual reasons (like Pearl Jam not being credited on Mirrorball - just the individual members instead).

I was a bit miffed whenever I heard that Ian and Crazy Horse had played in King's College Student Union. I was a student at King's and worked in the Nightclub (Tutu's) where they performed. Unfortunately the gig was a couple of months after I had graduated. :(

Next question is, when the hell is Weld and Unplugged coming out on DVD???

Ratso

21. CrazyHorse

CrazyHorse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +305
    Hi ratso-rizzo, glad you like the McNabb CD's - fine album's both!

Neil didn't play a note on HLAR. The only other guitarist on that album is Mike Hamilton who was in The Smithereens - another fine guitar band - but he plays mainly rhythm. McNabb plays all the leads on HLAR, Merseybeast & pretty much all of his albums - he's one of the most under-rated guitarist's (and singer/song-writers) around IMHO. I think he just got into that Neil sound even more than usual because of the people he was playing with, although I think he'd be the first to admit that Mr Young was/is a huge influence on him.

If you ever get the chance to see him live - especially when he's touring with a band - I'd highly recommend it.

Oh and I agree - Weld and Unplugged on DVD now please! :D

22. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Of all the Neil Young I've heard, Harvest is my favourite album (it was the no.1 album when I was born, and Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick was No.2!).

I really rate Harvest Moon, too.

Mental note: buy more Neil Young albums...

Karkus: did it take you long to get into Daydream Nation? I struggled to get into it for ages, and then it suddenly clicked. Mind you, there are other Sonic Youth albums that are even harder to access: Cruel Sister springs to mind.

23. karkus30

karkus30
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,261
    No, I liked Daydream Nation straight away. I listen to loads of bands and all sorts of weird music so it never takes me long to adjust from one style to the next, I didnt find DN to be a difficult listen.
    Conversley it took me a while to appreciate Neil Young.
    If you like albums that dont quite fit with convention try:

The Meat Puppets...Meat Puppets II
    The Replacements..Let it be
    Pavement.. Slanted and Enchanted
    My Bloody Valentine..Loveless
    Television.. Marquee moon

Theres loads more, but these are all great guitar bands and have very different sounds. If you like any of them, I can suggest more, enjoy.

24. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On the Beach is a very good album but it's probably not the first Neil Young album to own (though you could do a lot worse). The newcomer needs to be very careful with Neil Young because as well as maybe a dozen excellent albums ther are some real stinkers as well.

Best albums:
    Everyone Knows this is nowhere
    After the Goldrush
    Tonight's the Night
    Harvest
    harvest moon
    Sleeps with Angels
    Freedom
    Ragged Glory
    On the Beach
    Zuma

I am also a big fan of: This Note's for You, but it isn't universally appreciated so I won't include it.

25. Cheese Police

Cheese Police

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well the album duly arrived yesterday and I spent a good 2 hours listening to it. Overall impressions - very pleased to own it because it has some great tracks on it, but he's not quite at the peak of his abilities. Ambulance blues, as mentioned previously by someone on this thread, is probably the best track and prompted me to get out my acoustic guitar (plus capo) to figure out the chords. You can tell what kind of sound he was going for when they remastered it though - probably the warmest and most analogue-sounding CD I own. Perhaps he goes a little too far as some of the instruments, particularly the bass and organ, sound quite muffled, but the voice is always clear.

It is a bit of a treat to 'uncover' a Neil Young album from the early 70s, and it's definitely a mellow listen, so yeah, I'm very pleased.