Neighbours scaffolding blocking my Sky signal

Status
Not open for further replies.

RicksonGracie1972

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On my return from work last night I noticed that I wasn’t receiving a Satellite signal on any of my Sky boxes. I spoke to sky and went through the usual things they suggested but nothing worked. It then suddenly dawned on me that my sky dish is pointing directly at the scaffolding that the roofers have put up on next doors house. On speaking to the roofers this morning they said it was a common problem but where does that leave me? They could be weeks even maybe months putting the roof on, surely I can’t be expected to have no TV for that length of time.
Will Sky be able to move the dish and if so what are they likely to charge?
Anyone else had a similar problem
Help needed quickly with the last episode of The Walking Dead due to air tonight :lease:

You'll find loads of threads here and via google about this

Solutions include asking the scaffolders to try to see if they can adjust the scaffolding/planks to allow the dish to see through, arranging for the dish to be mounted on the scaffolding if it's a long term job, getting sky to move the dish on your own property and, if all else fails, asking sky to suspend sub while you have no signal

Can you have a chat with the builders and see if they will either move it, or move the scaffold.

I've moved one on a block in London when I was an installer because the scaffold was going to be there for a very long time and have seen others bolted to the scaffold. Would imaging the council or assoc would have picked up the bill for that though.

How close is the scaffolding to your dish and have they covered it with sheeting ?
The dish is actually looking high above where it faces

Its possible that your dish has taken a knock while they were putting up the scaffold and unless the dish is a lot lower than the scaffold that would be my guess.

I spoke breifly to the builders this morning and its unlikely they will be able to move the scaffolding. Next doors house is abotu 15 feet away from mine so I dont think bolting my sky dish on the scaffolding is an option either which I guess just leaves me with gettign sky to move the dish. Any ideas how much this will cost and whether gettign an external company would be cheaper.

Lastly, I do have access to some sky channels on my Xbox but obviously cant record anything and the pic quality isnt good (i can only get 2mb Broadband so cant stream HD) Does Sky Go give me access to more channels than the Xbox does?

15 feet is not a problem if there is a convenient anchorage on the scaffolding

A local aerial installer will certainly be quicker and may well be cheaper unless you can persuade sky to do it for nothing. He'll also be less likely to argue about ability to stick the dish on something that is not yours. Otherwise I guess you may be in to the £65 call out fee

Remember if you get it moved to the scaffolding rather than resited on your own property you'll have to pay to move it back again at the end

Liquid101 said:

You can't connect it to the TV '(from the iPad app, anyway) Watching TV on a smaller screen would be anything but feasible.

However, the PC version has many more channels and can be connected to the TV. :smashin:

We move dishes onto the scaffold all the time. It is a common solution and it gets moved back before it gets dropped. Depending on who is paying for the work ie your neighbour or a local authority, you may be able to get them to cover the cost of same

My dad runs a scaffold firm and if this ever happens with any of the jobs they will move the scaffold. Normally only a tube or board needs adjusting slightly or they cover the cost of any fee to get it moved.

I would personally ask your neighbour/scaffold firm to pay if you have to move the dish

Why can't I access the sky planner. I dont understand why no satelite signal should stop me from accessign what i've already recorded on the hard drive:confused:

Why can't I access the sky planner. I dont understand why no satelite signal should stop me from accessign what i've already recorded on the hard drive:confused:

As I understand it because the recordings are only available to you while you have a current sky sub and the active dish validates that. No signal, no validation

As I understand it because the recordings are only available to you while you have a current sky sub and the active dish validates that. No signal, no validation

that's a bummer.
i'm just trying to work out what TV shows I have on my planner and whether I can "cough" watch them via other methods:devil:

Is it not possible to resite the dish higher on your own property?
That's the easy solution
If so, a local aerial contractor could do it in less than an hour, even today if he's in the area

Is it not possible to resite the dish higher on your own property?
That's the easy solution
If so, a local aerial contractor could do it in less than an hour, even today if he's in the area

I just spoke to Sky again and they said their engineer could do this for £65 but I have to wait until Tuesday.
Not sure if a local contractor would be cheaper

Forget the scaffolders having a solution, it's the home owners problem, go round and tell them the issue and just leave them with a number or two for local engineers.

It's become part of their building cost. It's their fault that the scaffold is blocking your Dish, get them to sort it.

Maybe post your location in the Sky forum & see if there's a local installer who can do you a favour. Bear in mind it's not just moving the dish but the cabling may have to be extended. Also, if the dish is re-mounted on the wall, you're either going to have those holes to deal with when it's moved back or the current ones if the move is permanent.

Forget the scaffolders having a solution, it's the home owners problem, go round and tell them the issue and just leave them with a number or two for local engineers.

It's become part of their building cost. It's their fault that the scaffold is blocking your Dish, get them to sort it.

While I agree with all of that and have no doubt it can be made to work it is certainly not the fastest solution

Sky on Tuesday is certainly a good way to go (but don't delay booking or it could easily turn to Wednesday) Ask for goodwill rebate while no signal. Consider asking neighbours to cover cost

Local engineer, ask for a quote. Could be by the weekend. Cost. Who knows until you ask?

Last edited:

+1 on this.

Talk to your neighbours about it and get them to sort it ASAP.

Seeing it from the neighbours points of view. If they have erected scaffolding on their own land, which isn't touching yours , why should they move. What's next asking them to trim a tree?

PS I am not trying to be confrontational , just playing devil's advocate

Last edited:
Seeing it from the neighbours points of view. If they have erected scaffolding on their own land, which isn't touching yours , why should they move. What's next asking them to trim a tree?

There's no legal reason, AFAIK, why they should help.

Just good neighbourly reasons. :smashin:

There's no legal reason, AFAIK, why they should help.

Just good neighbourly reasons. :smashin:

I agree, to be honest the neighbour should have seen the satelite dish beforehand and made arrangements accordingly. My concern is that the neighbour didn't and that makes me doubt that they would be happy to fork out for someone to move the dish for them too.

I agree, to be honest the neighbour should have seen the satelite dish beforehand and made arrangements accordingly. My concern is that the neighbour didn't and that makes me doubt that they would be happy to fork out for someone to move the dish for them too.

TBH, it's one of those things they probably did not even consider and if they are a good neighbour will be only too happy to help address.

Of course they could be annoying neighbours

Help needed quickly with the last episode of The Walking Dead due to air tonight :lease:
The last episode is repeated on Wednesday so if you go for a Tuesday dish move you should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom