Neighbours complaining about me washing my car.

These disputes are difficult but if you stay cool and smiling and do not resort to retaliation you will always have the moral advantage.

??? What is that then? moral advantage.
You are not familiar with the expression of 'taking the moral high ground', defined as "the status of being respected for remaining moral, and adhering to and upholding a universally recognized standard of justice or goodness "?

You are not familiar with the expression of 'taking the moral high ground', defined as "the status of being respected for remaining moral, and adhering to and upholding a universally recognized standard of justice or goodness "?
I am 👍 But granted not with moral advantage, not sure what advantage it is going to bring in this situation. Bad news doesn’t age well, just like loosing your cool isn’t going to resolve anything neither will smiling.

I've been happily washing my car for the last few months now, no complaints whatsoever and all i had to do to fix it, roll the girlfriends car forwards so the front wheels are over the edge of the drive :suicide:
That simple fix was enough to block the waters path and let it turn the road and my front bit of garden into a swamp, neither of which anyone else is bothered about as it's gone 30 mins later. There's still a tiny bit of water and soap that gets through and on to the neighbours drive but it's such a tiny amount that she'd have to be insane to say anything.

Last edited:
I live in a town house unfortunately in the middle and our drives are close. I’ve asked my neighbour to let me know when he’s going to wash his car and I’ll move mine as otherwise he does a really good job on his and leaves mine covered in soap which I then have to wash off. I don’t have a Karcher etc so have to use a bucket and water. Not easy when I have arthritis. It’s about considering the impact you may have on your neighbours.

I live in a town house unfortunately in the middle and our drives are close. I’ve asked my neighbour to let me know when he’s going to wash his car and I’ll move mine as otherwise he does a really good job on his and leaves mine covered in soap which I then have to wash off. I don’t have a Karcher etc so have to use a bucket and water. Not easy when I have arthritis. It’s about considering the impact you may have on your neighbours.

Just a crazy thought......

If he's your neighbour, you are elderly/arthritis
He has all his gear out to do his car, and yours is that close.

How about proposing you slip him a few £ and he could give yours a quick blast over and wipe clean when he's doing yours. You could play the elderly card, and also that you are helping cover the cost of his soap etc.

I have to agree with the idea that Tempest posted. It's worth a try but these days a lot of neighbours are not always that friendly.

Absolutely agree it's just that water on the neighbours drive has no impact on them and I've never washed my car when it's parked next to theirs. With that being said, It's clear they couldn't care less about their car so even if i did spray it and they complained, she'd be complaining just because she can.

You wash your car, you make your bed. Go on. Next you'll be telling me you change your socks once a fortnight whether you need to or not.:)

My fire engine was always clean. It's a clean machine. Not so sure about my socks though.
My old work mate used to sing a little song about keeping the fire engine clean back when I used to work up at Bridlington. That bought some memories back. 😢

I have enjoyed reading this over the last 45 mins.
I'd have asked the landlord to install a basic drain down the middle. (They're not expensive and a piece of piss to install for most people. Go on YT if you need any ideas and help).
The landlord would have then contacted the builders who would give their stock answer as we've already been made aware of.
You get told you'll have to buy it yourself and you ask the neighbours to go halves on the cost of the materials. If she says no then carry on as you are but a few sections of channel and grate top won't be expensive. The hardest part will be removing the setts and doing the cuts.
Drainage is around 7 quid a metre.
You'll need some sharp sand to re-bed any removed block setts.
Cement to mix up with some sharp sand to bed the drainage on.
Hire a stihl saw to cut the block setts, although you might have to do the cuts at work because of the dust!
A rubber mallet to tap em down.
A straight edge to ensure flush fit with the original surface.
I'd be very surprised if you can't get it done for a £100 each.
Hopefully there's a drain in the road for this to run into as it's been poorly designed from that standpoint.

Good luck.

(I was in the building trade and during a 25 year fire service career, I kept my hand in with various home improvements and house renovation work and helped my dad on occasions, just in case you were wondering)

There's definitely no drain in the road, apparently the drainage is achieved by having the whole road paved with the small blocks. Next door (other side) actually had some work done on their drive and the guys cleaning up were saying how difficult it was because of the lack of drainage.

With regards to the moaning neighbours, they've now sold the house so it'll be interesting to see if this all kicks off again with the new neighbours when they move in.

There's definitely no drain in the road, apparently the drainage is achieved by having the whole road paved with the small blocks. Next door (other side) actually had some work done on their drive and the guys cleaning up were saying how difficult it was because of the lack of drainage.

With regards to the moaning neighbours, they've now sold the house so it'll be interesting to see if this all kicks off again with the new neighbours when they move in.

just make sure you wash your car when they move in, just so they know :)

What do you think they are going to do to it? You’ll be sitting inside it while they work it’s done for a fiver. Surely your time alone is worth more than that?
There's many reasons why. I don't know what chemicals they're using, I don't know where the sponges they're using have been and the main reason, they simply don't do a good enough job.

Unfortunately we're not all happy with just a quick wash, spending even 5-8 quid is just a waste of money so I might as well do it myself.

There's many reasons why. I don't know what chemicals they're using, I don't know where the sponges they're using have been and the main reason, they simply don't do a good enough job.

Unfortunately we're not all happy with just a quick wash, spending even 5-8 quid is just a waste of money so I might as well do it myself.
I don’t get it personally. A car is made of metal, gets driven on the road and gets dirty every time you drive it. A clean at a car wash every now and then is surely enough.

Whenever I see people spending their own precious time washing their cars I just can’t see the point.

I don’t get it personally. A car is made of metal, gets driven on the road and gets dirty every time you drive it. A clean at a car wash every now and then is surely enough.

Whenever I see people spending their own precious time washing their cars I just can’t see the point.

You don't need to get it, you just need to accept that we're all different :)

The paint is not made of metal and if they use a grit laden "sponge", the paint will end up looking like an Olympic ice rink!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom