1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Neighbour worries

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Finty, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Finty

Finty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks

Is there anything I can put under my sub (from KEF KHT2005 package) that will prevent excess 'thump' from annoying my neighbours downstairs?!!

Cheers
    Fin

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Only a detached house.

3. Finty

Finty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Pointon -

but if I put a detached house under my Sub won't I be back to square one again?

Constructive replies anyone?
    F

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Sorry, was a bit short.

But really there's not much you can do about it. It's not just the space under the sub that you need to worry about. With this type of sound it's the floor, walls, ceilings. Try a lot of carpetting, rugs and the like. It won't have much effect, but it's something. You could always put your sub on a concrete block or slab if you don't want it directly on the floor.

5. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I wouldnt usually suggest this in a normal living room but I would put laminated flooring down. This will reflect the sound into the room instead of it passing through your floor boards below. Thats if you have floor boards. If you live in a flat with concrete floor there aint nothing you can do. Apart from create a false floor, but if your renting you wouldn't want to pay out for it. Basicly mate your boll*xed.

6. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I live in an end terraced house so I only have one nieghbour to worry about. Basicly for me having nieghbours means listening at very low levels at night or full blast in the afternoon when they are hopfully out and the misses is at work. I'm afraid a compromise is needed in your case aswell.

7. paiger

paiger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try moving to an area where all your neighbours are deaf or insane, or both.

8. Finty

Finty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Think I'll buy a slate slab while I save for a house way out on a moor...

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +834
    Luckily for me, I already do!:D

Not that Insanity rubs off on you, does the chicken wax its legs with grounded parmesan??

10. Finty

Finty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...and does it wonder why the human crossed the road?

Argh - the insanity was catching. Time to annoy some neighbours!

11. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    i had the same problem with my neighbours as well, however a sort the problem out by moving the sub to another side of the room (not that that will help you as you live in a flat) and sticking £40 worth of isolation feet (made by perfect sound - bought from norman h fields in birmingham city centre) underneath the sub.

I did this at the beginning of october and i've not had one moan since - and i've watch some VERY VERY loud movies.

so either the neighbours have lost their hearing or they cant hear it.

Gary

12. Finty

Finty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers Gar

Could you give me more details about these 'isolation feet' - what are they exactly, is there a website I can get em off etc.

For anyone else - would putting a slate slab (or something similar) under the sub be of any value at all?

Cheers

Finty

13. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    Hi Finty,

I'm sorry but the best i can do is give you Norman H Field's phone number 0121 622 3619, they were/are part of the "Hi Fi markets" chain. I think the feet were about £5 each, so i bought 12, 4 for each of my front speakers and 4 for the sub, (my rears were already on spiked stands) they made the world of diffrence to the sound of my system (even my wife noticed the difference!!!). while the sound became for focused the sub lost alot of the undisrable boom.

I've just had a look around the web and found the following:

http://www.hometheatermag.com/showarchives.cgi?68

"And don't forget those brass cones. They reduce vibration against the floor, which could turn the sound into a muddied mess. The feet provide a critical service, elevating the sub sufficiently to give the bottom vent the room it needs to exhale. Isolation cones have long been thought to have magical powers, a tweaker's fetish, in reducing vibration and enhancing the clarity of all things electronic. The cheap plastic spheres included with the average budget sub just don't do the trick. I recall one company that offered an otherwise-excellent subwoofer costing about $100 more than the AC Sub 100, but the designers didn't even leave holes for the plastic feet. They packed the feet and metal screws in a bag with drilling instructions for the holes. That experience made my discovery of Pinnacle's brass cones even more pleasantly surprising."

while this stuff does not relate to the isolation cones i bought, it does demonstrate that they can and do work

There was also some stuff on www.pinnaclespeakers.com

I've just spoke to Field's and they told me that they get them through a company called "vedaproducts". while they couldn't give me a web address they did give me and email address info@vedaproducts.co.uk the products you are after info on are "Perfect Sound, Isolation Cones"

I really hope this helps, as i know how frustrating it can be, if i can help again then please let me know.

Gary

14. Finty

Finty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gary

That's a fantastic help. Thanks very much pal, especially for ringing the suppliers of the feet for the email address. As we say in my part of the world "good man yerself"
    I'll get on to Veda Products directly!

Thanks again

Finty

15. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +826
    No problem at all, just remember that help when i show up on your door step at two in the morning blind drunk and looking for somewhere to lay my head!!! ha ha

Anyway, happy to help, let me know how you get on.

Gary