• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Neighbour issue on the horizon

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Recently had new neighbours move in next door and they appear to be trying to get a rise out of me.

Last week some people turned up to re-lay their driveway in concrete. This was a non issue to us at all, why should it be...

I knew things were not going to be great when they started work though. Rather than use a breaker pack to remove the old concrete driveway they had a 360 digger which they used to lift massive lengths of driveway about 4ft up in the air before dropping it and hope it broke up. This shook our house (bungalow) so much that we though it was going to cause damage.

As I left for work the two guys were in their van and I was pretty peeved so I just gave them a stare and thought no more of it.

About a month before our neighbour moved in we put a waist height border fence up to make the front garden look a bit tidier. Yesterday morning while they were waiting for the cement lorry to arrive one of the workmen was leaning on the fence with all his weight, causing it to bend quite badly. When he moved the fence was still bent but I thought I might be able to move it back into position. He leaned on it again and I lost my rag and went out to tell him to get off it. He apologised and went back to work.

About half an hour later I was working in my office at home and I overheard a conversation he was having with my neighbour who was basically calling me a dick head. They were talking stupid he was saying stuff like parking cars over the end of my driveway just to piss me off and that he's ex army and could get his mates to park a tank on his driveway and point it at my house. Stupid stuff like this. At first I found it funny but when I got back from the shops later that afternoon they had hosed off the new concrete all over the fence and it has splattered all my plants through the gaps.

So now I'm cross but I am not calm enough to say anything because I will smash his face in if he says anything, I don't have the patience. Basically I wanted to vent and say that there are some real weirdos out there.

Aaargh!!

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
Recently had new neighbours move in next door and they appear to be trying to get a rise out of me.

Last week some people turned up to re-lay their driveway in concrete. This was a non issue to us at all, why should it be...

I knew things were not going to be great when they started work though. Rather than use a breaker pack to remove the old concrete driveway they had a 360 digger which they used to lift massive lengths of driveway about 4ft up in the air before dropping it and hope it broke up. This shook our house (bungalow) so much that we though it was going to cause damage.

As I left for work the two guys were in their van and I was pretty peeved so I just gave them a stare and thought no more of it.

About a month before our neighbour moved in we put a waist height border fence up to make the front garden look a bit tidier. Yesterday morning while they were waiting for the cement lorry to arrive one of the workmen was leaning on the fence with all his weight, causing it to bend quite badly. When he moved the fence was still bent but I thought I might be able to move it back into position. He leaned on it again and I lost my rag and went out to tell him to get off it. He apologised and went back to work.

About half an hour later I was working in my office at home and I overheard a conversation he was having with my neighbour who was basically calling me a dick head. They were talking stupid he was saying stuff like parking cars over the end of my driveway just to piss me off and that he's ex army and could get his mates to park a tank on his driveway and point it at my house. Stupid stuff like this. At first I found it funny but when I got back from the shops later that afternoon they had hosed off the new concrete all over the fence and it has splattered all my plants through the gaps.

So now I'm cross but I am not calm enough to say anything because I will smash his face in if he says anything, I don't have the patience. Basically I wanted to vent and say that there are some real weirdos out there.

Aaargh!!

Do you have legal expenses cover included with your home insurance? If so give them a ring for some advice. If this joker starts messing with your property, sticking up fences or walls where they shouldn't be (sounds like the type) they can appoint a solicitor for you to deal with it.

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I don't think he will put up a fence or wall and the driveway is finished now. Oh and another thing they were talking about was that apparently because my girlfriend is Polish I should "fudge off Poland if I wanted to be with one of them". I don't think they would say the same to my face.

I've lived in this house for 17 years!

Naaktgeboren

Distinguished Member
Thanks. I don't think he will put up a fence or wall and the driveway is finished now. Oh and another thing they were talking about was that apparently because my girlfriend is Polish I should "fudge off Poland if I wanted to be with one of them". I don't think they would say the same to my face.

Utter scumbags, karma's a bitch, they'll get theirs

lucasisking

Distinguished Member

Now he's had his drive done, asking him if he wants decking :laugh:

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
I don't know what I have done. Other than get rightfully annoyed yesterday.

Said hello when they moved in and he already seemed pissy. Out in the garden a few days later and my other half was talking to his wife, who seems nice, and he yelled at her to get inside the house like she wasn't supposed to be talking to her.

Ever since then they have completely ignored us. Said "alright" as I walked past them a month or so ago in the street and he just said "yes" quite abruptly...and now this.

The Dude

Distinguished Member
Clearly a bit of a ******** but I wouldn't give it too much thought, you tried.

hippo99

Distinguished Member
Maybe it's time for you to get a cat (if you haven't got one)...I read about it in the official SBT 'my neighbours cat is crapping in my garden' thread :D

IronGiant

Yeah. I will just let them get on with it but wanted to vent my spleen here, at the official home of spleen venting.
Vent away :thumbsup:
Although I'd ignore anything said between him and the "builder": that could just be bloke's banter nd he wanted to sound like he was hard in front of the builder. And if he has a chip on his shoulder about Polish people that's his problem so long as he keeps it to himself. Getting mouthy in front of a workman doesn't mean he's going to do any of it.

The Dude

Distinguished Member
Getting mouthy in front of a workman doesn't mean he's going to do any of it.

Breaking news: Hairy arsed builder with big digger elicits macho banter from stationery sales rep :D

Dwayne Dibley

No fun having dodgy neighbours.
I had one, years ago, made our life a living hell. He used to beat his wife up. And we called the police on him. He didn't let us forget this. Threats. Intimidation. Verbal abuse. It's no picnic.
Hope you resolve yours.
Good luck.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom