Negotiating new trade deals and closing the rift.

“Our own fish “ ? Last time I looked fish move about and don’t wave union jacks

Well seeing as we apparently wanted to put the union jack on our Oxford vaccine, it wouldn't surprise me to see a Dr. Evil style plan to put a union jack on every fish.

Well seeing as we apparently wanted to put the union jack on our Oxford vaccine, it wouldn't surprise me to see a Dr. Evil style plan to put a union jack on every fish.

Well I guess we have to use Trident for something, when it's not being used to posture that we might rain hell fire down upon on our enemies, so long as the US says we can.

Good little thread with some detail on the fishing.

If it all collapses over fish you'll find me in The Winchester.

Good little thread with some detail on the fishing.

If it all collapses over fish you'll find me in The Winchester.

As I said the other day, Johnson and his negotiators have pushed themselves into a corner with the vocal proclamations of fishing sovereignty. It’s always been a tiny number of people/value impacted by it, but it’s been held up as the be all and end all of Brexit. If he goes back on that he looks like he’s sold out, if he keeps up with it, he risks impacting the rest of the economy over it.

Considering the original claims of taking back control of £350m per week, hanging the negotiations on £300m of trade per year is ridiculous, but I’m sure someone will be along soon to remind me that it’s not about the economy.

I think the EU will accept the U.K. claim on fish, as a comparatively small financial cost to them, and Johnson can loudly proclaim that he “saved the U.K. sovereign waters”, whilst ignoring the much larger things he also gives up in return as part of the deal. His cheerleaders will then celebrate and declare Brexit a great success.

It’s tragic that all people have left is “we voted for this, you lost. Salty tears”.

If this were such a great idea, the benefits would be obvious. Strange how they aren’t.

Why are the EU arguing about such a small % of GDP on fish that aren't theirs?

Why are the U.K. arguing about such a small percentage of GDP that aren’t ‘ours’ either? They’re fish in the sea, and surely there are bigger things to worry about.

Why are the EU arguing about such a small % of GDP on fish that aren't theirs?

Because they were their fish too until we left. Fishing is key to the negotiations and will help them get what they want.

That's how these things work!

They (France) need our fish, we need them to sell our fish to. Why an agreement should be reached.

If not though it will be a catastrophic failure of statecraft.

Because they were their fish too until we left. Fishing is key to the negotiations and will help them get what they want.

The key words are in bold.

They (France) need our fish, we need them to sell our fish to. Why an agreement should be reached.

If not though it will be a catastrophic failure of statecraft.

Macron needs to be put back in his box.

Last edited:
The key words are in bold.

Macron needs to be put back in his box.

Why, because he’s doing what the leader of a country, locked in trade negotiations, should be doing, as is Johnson arguably? It’s hardly surprising, just a bit ridiculous that so much time spent on negotiating is likely coming down to fish.

Awaiting for someone to say “the German car industry” and I then I can shout bingo.

That would be too late - I already shouted 'Bingo' when you came up with your 'there are no benefits' nonsense.

To be fair it was helped by someone mentioning 'blue passports' last night.

Last edited:
That would be too late - I already shouted 'Bingo' when you came up with your 'there are no benefits' nonsense.

To be fair it was helped by someone mentioning 'blue passports' last night.
Care to tell us what these ‘benefits’ are?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom