Negotiating new trade deals and closing the rift.

I've been scratching my head over the notion that British jam is somehow superior. I was just in Denmark over the tattie holidays, and I'd forgotten how good the jam from the biggest DK manufacturer is.

I never normally eat the stuff, but I kinda wish we'd brought home more than just 3 jars - I realise that probably makes me particularly unpatriotic... 😄
Are you British born and spent childhood in UK?

You find people like what their brought up on and for me British Strawberries are still the best which I assume they use to make British Jam (never eat Jam myself).

I only like Cunningham's Piccalilli because again, what I was brought up on. Obviously not always the case as I was brought up on Heinz Beans but much prefer Branston ones now.

Are you British born and spent childhood in UK?

You find people like what their brought up on and for me British Strawberries are still the best which I assume they use to make British Jam (never eat Jam myself).

I only like Cunningham's Piccalilli because again, what I was brought up on. Obviously not always the case as I was brought up on Heinz Beans but much prefer Branston ones now.

Nope I'm not, but yes, I went to UK many times during my childhood. I do find these days that my palate is guided less and less by nostalgia and national feelings. Otherwise, I'd probably be drinking Danish or German whisky, which in all honesty is a bit sh*t for the price :smashin:

Anyway, this is beside the point - the one about the bizzare notion that UK would be able to conquer the world trade market with superior British jam. Thanks for helping me shoot that one down, incidentally ;)

Nope I'm not, but yes, I went to UK many times during my childhood. I do find these days that my palate is guided less and less by nostalgia and national feelings. Otherwise, I'd probably be drinking Danish or German whisky, which in all honesty is a bit sh*t for the price :smashin:

Anyway, this is beside the point - the one about the bizzare notion that UK would be able to conquer the world trade market with superior British jam. Thanks for helping me shoot that one down, incidentally ;)
Yeh, tastes change. In my youth it was European lager but now I like US lagers (less bitter flavours).

For me it never even entered my mind the concept of "national feelings" with food. If I'd been brought up on French cheese instead of English cheese I'm sure I'd still love French cheese.

Yeh, tastes change. In my youth it was European lager but now I like US lagers (less bitter flavours).

And less flavour full stop... :p

Anyway, the wife is UK born and raised, and has always loved jam. Still, she much prefers the jam we bought in DK, so there's that. :D

For me it never even entered my mind the concept of "national feelings" with food. If I'd been brought up on French cheese instead of English cheese I'm sure I'd still love French cheese.
Shouldn’t you be drinking Carling? Drinking US lagers is most unpatriotic.

Shouldn’t you be drinking Carling? Drinking US lagers is most unpatriotic.

A pint of Carling, down the Spoons, with Tim Martin. Sounds like a Brexit edition of Cluedo :D

Was thinking about my beer consumption over dinner after you posted this. I drink quite a wide range of stuff; US, British and European. Never really thought about it much before, but I think European beer probably just edges it. My habits won't be changing in light of Brexit though.

Due to the virus I missed out on a stag do to Oktoberfest. Hopefully get that in next year, as the lad ended up postponing his wedding too.

As suspected, emerging details of the Japan deal show it's not quite the best thing since sliced sushi bread. Despite the whopping 0.07% benefit.

I mentioned somewhere previous about quotas @Panavision Well it turns out we signed a deal where we play second fiddle to the EU - on agriculture at least. Not got eyes on analysis of the rest yet.

We failed to secure our own tariff rate quotas like the EU has with Japan, so we rely now on "leftover quotas" from the EU.

quota.png

In simple terms what that means is for certain products we have to wait and see if the EU fill their quota before we sell ours. This also means should the EU look to increase their trade with Japan (entirely feasible), it could lock us out from low tariff rates altogether.

Playing second fiddle to the EU. Not sure that's the sovereignty we were looking for by leaving the EU and signing our own deals....

Plus Parliament wasn't able to scrutinise any of this first. Even less sovereignty for you.

Not that it matters, I expect the Tory benches wouldn't have read it anyway and thought it was all great.

It all goes quiet when facts are presented, you know, by actually quoting from the official documents.... Treaty with Japan is good? Treaty with EU is bad. :D
Maybe, just maybe It all goes quiet when there's sod all to talk about except jam and soy sauce? More interesting talking about the weather at the moment. 61 days left now. :clap:

Maybe, just maybe It all goes quiet when there's sod all to talk about except jam and soy sauce? More interesting talking about the weather at the moment. 61 days left now. :clap:
Hey, easy there now. You're putting in a tiny positive note and spoiling the flow, this could lead to irritation.
:)

When will people realise the French really aren't our friends. They will always just favour themselves.

When will people realise the French really aren't our friends. They will always just favour themselves.

When will people realise that The Express isn't a newspaper. :D

It’s the Express. So I doubt if half the people on here care if it’s true or not :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Is there any truth in the story?
Well looks like its been going on a while

Taken from the Express article;

"The Bay of Granville Treaty, signed in 1843, was the first cross-frontier fisheries agreement in the world and aimed to stop the violence that had erupted between fishermen from Jersey and France over access to stocks.

But after centuries of working within the constraints of the pact, Jersey fishermen are ready to be released – a position not shared by their government.

Mr Thompson said he would rather see the UK government step in and take control over fishing rights in Jersey, a Crown Dependency.

He said: “We are directly opposed to our government’s approach of trying to maintain a treaty which is so biased and unfair."

Appears to be nothing to do with Brexit or the EU, but Jersey fisherman unhappy with a treaty signed by their own Government 180 years ago. Thankfully, the Express are on hand to shoehorn in Brexit, and a few exclamation marks, to really get their readers excited.

Taken from the Express article;

"The Bay of Granville Treaty, signed in 1843, was the first cross-frontier fisheries agreement in the world and aimed to stop the violence that had erupted between fishermen from Jersey and France over access to stocks.

But after centuries of working within the constraints of the pact, Jersey fishermen are ready to be released – a position not shared by their government.

Mr Thompson said he would rather see the UK government step in and take control over fishing rights in Jersey, a Crown Dependency.

He said: “We are directly opposed to our government’s approach of trying to maintain a treaty which is so biased and unfair."

Appears to be nothing to do with Brexit or the EU, but Jersey fisherman unhappy with a treaty signed by their own Government 180 years ago. Thankfully, the Express are on hand to shoehorn in Brexit, and a few exclamation marks, to really get their readers excited.

That damn rag 💩

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom