Negotiating new trade deals and closing the rift.

Do not wish to cross your debate, but we do have more than enough disgusting food ok if its what you want to eat...choices here, not just Scotland but for all...
Fois gras nobody with any conscious should ever eat knowing what happens to the geese and ducks to produce this....

• Snails for starters: Escargots. ...
  • A creepy meal: Langue de boeuf. ...
  • A few frogs' legs: Cuisses de grenouilles.
  • Raw meat: Steak Tartare. ...
  • Do you want feet on your plate?: Pieds de porc. ...
  • A smelly sausage: Andouillette. ...
  • You'll need guts to eat these: Tripes.

Shortbreads not disgusting! Your not mixing up with "sweetbreads"? :D

We have Tripe in England too. My mother used to eat it :confused:

Nothing wrong with Haggis, nor any of the items on your list. Although I confess I've not tried frogs legs yet. And I won't eat fois gras on principle, not because I wouldn't like it.

But we are tiny and ruled nearly half the world! The world has obviously changed now.

Yes, because Britain and Europe controlled most of the world. Without mainland Europe, the British Empire would not have existed like it did. That's despite the grievances between the European countries.

There are much bigger countries than us based on landmass and population yet we are still one of biggest economic and military powers. Don't sell us down.

We don't know how much economic strength we have because we have been part of the Single Market for so long. It's not about talking us down, it's pragmatism of the situation.

Also, Britain isn't a manufacturing country anymore, we are primarily a services industry, so a WTO deal wouldn't be good for us. If the WTO is so good, then why do so many countries want bespoke trade deals? Because they are better.

Interesting that stock market didn't react negatively to the news on Friday. Also, the pound didn't drop in value, perhaps it was Boris who cried wolf? No one believes him anymore. He has no cards to play.

Also, Britain isn't a manufacturing country anymore, we are primarily a services industry, so a WTO deal wouldn't be good for us. If the WTO is so good, then why do so many countries want bespoke trade deals? Because they are better.

But it's not a WTO deal, it's a Mongolia Afghanistan Kyrgyzstan Australia deal :laugh:

The EU aren't worried in the slightest. They know they're dealing with real naivety and a government way out of their depth to handle this. And they also of course know how much economic damage the virus is doing to us as well. Which is unfortunate but makes our situation all the more desperate.

LOL Australia deal. WTF? Heard Gove say it this morning. These guys have cornered themselves.

The same Gove who thought it was okay to drive 30 miles to check if your eyes are okay... :D

EU wants access to UK fishing waters is the only card I can see

Around 80% of the quotas are either owned by a very small number of wealthy people on the Sunday Times Rich List or by foreign owners. It's not much of a card to play tbh. The Smaller fisherman will likely be screwed over no matter what happens.

Interesting that stock market didn't react negatively to the news on Friday. Also, the pound didn't drop in value, perhaps it was Boris who cried wolf? No one believes him anymore. He has no cards to play.

That's because they are not taking Boris Johnson's threat of No Deal seriously, there is a very thin to be had that's marginally better than No Deal. It's why Sterling didn't do it's usual drop in value due to Brexit before picking back up. There is a very thin deal Johnson can strike in the time left, but it might not be good enough to avoid certain impacts -
Experts claim Boris Johnson’s ‘thin’ EU deal will cause major economic upset

The positive of a thin deal is that the Bond Markets will probably be ok with it and refrain from further credit rating cuts I guess.

I expect whatever happens, the UK Government will be going back to the EU to negotiate a more extensive trade deal in due course. The rumour in regards to Johnson for a while now, is that he's planning to quit as PM in January if he secures a deal or not as he can say "I got Brexit done" in either case and leave before any poop hits the fan. Running off like Call Me Dave in other words.

Around 80% of the quotas are either owned by a very small number of wealthy people on the Sunday Times Rich List or by foreign owners. It's not much of a card to play tbh. The Smaller fisherman will likely be screwed over no matter what happens.

That's because they are not taking Boris Johnson's threat of No Deal seriously, there is a very thin to be had that's marginally better than No Deal. It's why Sterling didn't do it's usual drop in value due to Brexit before picking back up. There is a very thin deal Johnson can strike in the time left, but it might not be good enough to avoid certain impacts -
Experts claim Boris Johnson’s ‘thin’ EU deal will cause major economic upset

The positive of a thin deal is that the Bond Markets will probably be ok with it and refrain from further credit rating cuts I guess.

I expect whatever happens, the UK Government will be going back to the EU to negotiate a more extensive trade deal in due course. The rumour in regards to Johnson for a while now, is that he's planning to quit as PM in January if he secures a deal or not as he can say "I got Brexit done" in either case and leave before any poop hits the fan. Running off like Call Me Dave in other words.

A barebones deal doesn't do much for clarity and confidence. Your link is the Guardian but it has been discussed elsewhere over the last few months too. So it's not something they've concocted (for discussion balance purposes).

So yes avoiding a No Deal and WTO is great, but there does need to be as much substance as possible to any agreement.

Worth noting that Australia has lots of agreements with the EU that UK won't so it would be Australia minus minus, also worth noting that Afghanistan trades free of tariffs and quotas under EBA rules - so UK worse trading conditions than Afghanistan - what a time to be alive

Yep, great a country still exists where its politicians act on the votes of its people.

Still banging on about that... We get it, you love democracy, but at some point you'll need to pull your head out of the sand, then you'll see whether Brexit is a success story or an utter failure. Not long to go to see some real world impacts (more than we've seen already). The pound has been weak since 2016, the country's credit rating lowered etc...

It doesn't matter if they act on the votes of the people if they are incompetent and make things much worse off for everyone in the country (bar the super rich).

Also the initial referendum wasn't a legal binding, parliamentary vote. As has been pointed out many times before.

Still banging on about that... We get it, you love democracy, but at some point you'll need to pull your head out of the sand, then you'll see whether Brexit is a success story or an utter failure. Not long to go to see some real world impacts (more than we've seen already). The pound has been weak since 2016, the country's credit rating lowered etc...

It doesn't matter if they act on the votes of the people if they are incompetent and make things much worse off for everyone in the country (bar the super rich).

Also the initial referendum wasn't a legal binding, parliamentary vote. As has been pointed out many times before.
We get it you love EU. Conversation over.

Closing the rift referred to the rift between remainers and leavers on here. It's worse than before the thread was started.

Closing.

Re-opened only for discussion of developing deals or the nature of a no deal. Any silliness and thread bans will be applied.

Whilst waiting for details of the Japan deal, an interesting little thread this on the anomaly of NI in the trade arrangements.

Remember when Raab said NI would get the best of both worlds...…..

What's the first Japan trade deal barney over?

Soy Sauce. Or is that Soya Sauce? 🤔

What's the first Japan trade deal barney over?

Soy Sauce. Or is that Soya Sauce? 🤔

It’s ok, they’ve clarified their argument now...

The great new trade deal means that soy sauce will be cheaper than when we traded on WTO terms, which we never did o_O

Why is it now business as usual for Government Departments to blatantly lie, and be allowed to do so? It shows how little they think of the intelligence of the country.

Even worse is that it appears that only 16% of the soy sauce we purchase actually comes from Japan, with the rest coming from the Netherlands.

To be fair, the government isn't lying They never wrote that we currently pay a tariff under WTO rules. It's unclear why they writing about WTO rules, though; are they pointing out that trading on WTO terms is not a good thing? :D Paging Farage.

Let's be clear, WTO rules are not economically sound for many sectors, which is why countries prefer trade deals.

Even worse is that it appears that only 16% of the soy sauce we purchase actually comes from Japan, with the rest coming from the Netherlands.

It's a perfect illustration of what a shambles the whole leave / trade deal situation is tho, constructing a false narrative around a tiny aspect in an attempt to find anything positive to pump out as propaganda that it'll all be a success, tragic stuff

What is it with this government and condiments, first jams and marmalades and now soy sauce :laugh:

It's a perfect illustration of what a shambles the whole leave / trade deal situation is tho, constructing a false narrative around a tiny aspect in an attempt to find anything positive to pump out as propaganda that it'll all be a success, tragic stuff

What is it with this government and condiments, first jams and marmalades and now soy sauce :laugh:

I've been scratching my head over the notion that British jam is somehow superior. I was just in Denmark over the tattie holidays, and I'd forgotten how good the jam from the biggest DK manufacturer is.

I never normally eat the stuff, but I kinda wish we'd brought home more than just 3 jars - I realise that probably makes me particularly unpatriotic... 😄

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom