Negotiating new trade deals and closing the rift.

Well if this Cummings issue shows EU anything its that Boris isn't going to be pushed around/intimidated! Even if he's wrong.

Sovereignty over EU Trade deal.

Once Sovereignty guaranteed with no EU control, can evolve trade going forward if it has to be that way based on EU/UK political dogma.

"Once Sovereignty guaranteed with no EU control" - I would like to know where we lost Sovereignty in the first place. Is it not clear from the proroguing of parliament last year that we clearly still have Sovereignty.

And the Cummings situation is not a good one for Boris, his ratings have fallen sharply and it shows he will bow down to others and be pushed around by an adviser. Beaten into defending someone who the police have said broke lockdown rules. He's a coward.

"Once Sovereignty guaranteed with no EU control" - I would like to know where we lost Sovereignty in the first place. Is it not clear from the proroguing of parliament last year that we clearly still have Sovereignty.

And the Cummings situation is not a good one for Boris, his ratings have fallen sharply and it shows he will bow down to others and be pushed around by an adviser. Beaten into defending someone who the police have said broke lockdown rules. He's a coward.
The Cummings situation wasn't a good one for the likes of the Guardian, Emily Matlis, Kevin Maguire and the likes of Peston, Kuensberg etc. If you think it was bad for Johnson then that merry bunch had a torrid week. People can see through all that stuff and nonsense these days and by the middle of the week their reputations had sunk to an all time low.

There was a video clip someone sent me of the lynchmob (neighbours) outside Cummings house a few days ago. Amongst the hysterical shouts of "resign" one woman shouted something like "I can't afford childcare". What the hell has that got to do with it and, besides, you live in Islington love, I think you can. All that was missing from this nasty scene were the pitchforks.

People have been talking about an enquiry when all this is over. There should be an enquiry. An enquiry into how low our media has sunk over the last few years. Absolutely shameful.

Barnier used to say, with barely concealed glee, that "the clock is ticking" as if it were a threat to the UK. That was when May was in charge. These days things are looking very different and the UK is using the clock as a weapon. Bottom rail on top now.

The Cummings situation wasn't a good one for the likes of the Guardian, Emily Matlis, Kevin Maguire and the likes of Peston, Kuensberg etc. If you think it was bad for Johnson then that merry bunch had a torrid week. People can see through all that stuff and nonsense these days and by the middle of the week their reputations had sunk to an all time low.

There was a video clip someone sent me of the lynchmob (neighbours) outside Cummings house a few days ago. Amongst the hysterical shouts of "resign" one woman shouted something like "I can't afford childcare". What the hell has that got to do with it and, besides, you live in Islington love, I think you can. All that was missing from this nasty scene were the pitchforks.

People have been talking about an enquiry when all this is over. There should be an enquiry. An enquiry into how low our media has sunk over the last few years. Absolutely shameful.

Barnier used to say, with barely concealed glee, that "the clock is ticking" as if it were a threat to the UK. That was when May was in charge. These days things are looking very different and the UK is using the clock as a weapon. Bottom rail on top now.
That’ll show the metropolitan elite 😂😂

People can see through all that stuff and nonsense these days
Considering 71% think Cummings did break the rules, they certainly did see through all that stuff and nonsense...

Last edited:

Including the right wing press, too.

I didn't agree with pitchforks protesting. Is this the 16th century? :D

Just as shameful as our government constantly twisting the truth or downright lying. None of us should take that lying down.

Get ready to leap into your Spitfires.

On yer marks.

The next election is probably about 4 years away (possibly to the month if they go back to May elections).

Whatever we're arguing over now will seem a very very long time ago by then. The outcome of that election will be far more driven by what happens in the next few years (with Brexit and the coronavirus recovery, and delivering - or not- on the Conservative manifesto pledges to invest in regions outside London) than what happened with Cummings.

The next election is probably about 4 years away (possibly to the month if they go back to May elections).
Already scheduled for Thursday 2nd May 2024 under the FTPA
elections scheduled on the first Thursday in May of the fifth year after the previous general election, unless the previous general election took place between 1 January and the first Thursday in May, in which case the election takes place on the first Thursday in May of the fourth year after the previous general election
which I can't see being repealed by the end of this parliament, despite Johnson's pledge, as it simply doesn't just revert to how it was before - new legislation will be necessary

Already scheduled for Thursday 2nd May 2024 under the FTPA
which I can't see being repealed by the end of this parliament, despite Johnson's pledge, as it simply doesn't just revert to how it was before - new legislation will be necessary
Well, that is what we will need to see.... personally I think it will be repealed. An easy manifesto pledge to meet.

As to whether or not it goes back to how it was before, that is very much a matter of debate and isn't settled one way or another!

Also need the Boundary Commision recommendations to be passed now the Tories have a healthy majority. Word on the street is that will mean 20 to 30 fewer seats for Labour.

As to whether or not it goes back to how it was before, that is very much a matter of debate and isn't settled one way or another!
My point was it literally cannot go back, there has to be brand new legislation ... i.e repeal and replace - not so simple.

The old way of it being in the gift of the PM when to call an election isn't particularly democratic, so a duplication of that may very well get through - unlikely to be a free vote and will not be popular with those from all sides who put democracy before party.

My point was it literally cannot go back, there has to be brand new legislation ... i.e repeal and replace - not so simple.
But it might :) Constitutional experts are divided on that. Some argue you need new legislation to define what happens, others argue prerogative powers would simply return (e.g. as noted in this article)

Should see EU (and its prime nations) true colours this next few week. Will see how French really arn't our friends in particular (and never have been).

And in other Brexit news

Or alternatively will the UK hold out for an industry that represents only 0.1% of our economy and risk the already fragile state of the remaining 99.9%

Fishing has been a redline from the EU since day 1, coming from a position that they'll torpedo their entire fishing industry just because 'well we used to be mates' it's frankly both laughable and ludicrous

Should see EU (and its prime nations) true colours this next few week. Will see how French really arn't our friends in particular (and never have been).

And in other Brexit news

might be time to play one of the many cards the UK supposedly holds in the esaiest trade deal in history, time is running out

might be time to play one of the many cards the UK supposedly holds in the esaiest trade deal in history, time is running out

We have one big card. Voters gave Boris control to finish Brexit, even if that means no deal. Not much longer now for Remoaning to keep going on :rolleyes:

We have one big card. Voters gave Boris control to finish Brexit, even if that means no deal. Not much longer now for Remoaning to keep going on :rolleyes:
How does that strengthen his hand in, for example, preventing the EU from setting a tariff that will make it uneconomical for Nissan to produce cars for export and thereby, like their COO said today, close the factory

How does that strengthen his hand in, for example, preventing the EU from setting a tariff that will make it uneconomical for Nissan to produce cars for export and thereby, like their COO said today, close the factory

I mean it strengthens his position because he has the backing of the majority of voters to have no deal if one offered is not good enough with EU still trying to control us. Days of being hobbled by Remain MP's are gone.

EU don't want no deal at all so up to them to make a deal worth it.

As always, the two sides of Brexit debate can talk in rings 24/7. Just a wait & see now.

If it closes so be it. I'd sooner loose Nissan than have EU dictate what we do. I want to elect who leads us not be part of a massive entity that all our elected MEP's can be made ineffective by all the other EU countries MEP's & EU elected leaders over-ridding.

We as a country said no to Junker, made no difference, he was still elected president of an Entity that directly controls our country.

7000 jobs lost is fine apparently, it's worth it to "take back control". It does make you wonder how many of those workers voted for Brexit (Sunderland voted to leave the EU by a larger margin than expected, with 61 per cent voting to leave and 39 per cent voting to remain in the EU)

Leaving the biggest economic trading bloc is never going to be good for the economy, especially an economy decimated by COVID-19. Apparently we have all these cards we hold, lets see where that gets us.

Northern Ireland are really going to struggle and are backing an extension: Stormont backs calling for extension to Brexit transition period

7000 jobs lost is fine apparently, it's worth it to "take back control".

Leaving the biggest economic trading bloc is never going to be good for the economy, especially an economy decimated by COVID-19. Apparently we have all these cards we hold, lets see where that gets us.

Northern Ireland are really going to struggle and are backing an extension: Stormont backs calling for extension to Brexit transition period

NI are expendable in all this. Always have been. As is the GFA.

More on Nissan, if it's WTO then cheerio Nissan

7000 jobs lost is fine apparently, it's worth it to "take back control". It does make you wonder how many of those workers voted for Brexit (Sunderland voted to leave the EU by a larger margin than expected, with 61 per cent voting to leave and 39 per cent voting to remain in the EU)

EU's economy is also decimated by Covid-19, even more animosity has been created between members and they will also have the economic shock of No Deal. The world is available to trade with. Things always find a way.

Or alternatively will the UK hold out for an industry that represents only 0.1% of our economy and risk the already fragile state of the remaining 99.9%

Fishing has been a redline from the EU since day 1, coming from a position that they'll torpedo their entire fishing industry just because 'well we used to be mates' it's frankly both laughable and ludicrous

As i was saying

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom