Negotiating new trade deals and closing the rift.

BBC News - UK agrees free trade deal with New Zealand

But the New Zealand deal itself is unlikely to boost UK growth, according to the government's own estimates.

Last edited:
Ah yes that huge trading partner of ours ;)

"Britain’s trade with New Zealand was worth 2.3 billion pounds last year ($3.2 billion), about 0.5% of its trade with the EU in the same period."

Nonetheless more trades deals are good.

Good but misunderstood.

Just for clarification this isn't yet a signed deal. It's only been agreed in principle.

Oddly enough exactly the same as the Australia deal was.....

Only if that marriage involves drawing up and meticulously revising several thousand pages of legal stipulations beforehand.

I wonder when those hardcore Brexiters that are left will finally realise they've been completely duped. And that the government has no plan and no clue. And that they never did. Wishful thinking on my part most likely, they're too entrenched.

We're not even taking advantage of being able to sign our own trade deals. We clearly had better being part of the EU.

I wonder when those hardcore Brexiters that are left will finally realise they've been completely duped. And that the government has no plan and no clue. And that they never did. Wishful thinking on my part most likely, they're too entrenched.

We're not even taking advantage of being able to sign our own trade deals. We clearly had better being part of the EU.
The UK would seriously struggle to get deals more favourable than any the EU can get, and frankly a miracle to even equal the EU.

Quite simply, the EU market is 445+ Million and the UK is 67 Million (people)

EU imports accounts for 14% of world trade. (UK 4.4%) (USA 16.9%)
EU exports accounts for 16% of world trade (UK2.9%) (USA 10.4%)

Three most important trading entities China,USA and EU.

Japan is a greater trading nation than the UK. (4.5%, 4.7%)

The UK would seriously struggle to get deals more favourable than any the EU can get, and frankly a miracle to even equal the EU.

Quite simply, the EU market is 445+ Million and the UK is 67 Million (people)

EU imports accounts for 14% of world trade. (UK 4.4%) (USA 16.9%)
EU exports accounts for 16% of world trade (UK2.9%) (USA 10.4%)

Three most important trading entities China,USA and EU.

Japan is a greater trading nation than the UK. (4.5%, 4.7%)

I'll happily admit to being wrong about one thing though. I thought we'd struggle to get deals signed, but they'll be queuing up at this rate knowing how incompetent in negotiation we are.

We're a soft touch and desperate. Easy pickings. Just like the TCA.

Rich, you know I no longer support Brexit, but ever since I grew up I remember NZ lamb and even butter and cheese, but I never knew what if anything we exported there, does anyone else?

Rich, you know I no longer support Brexit, but ever since I grew up I remember NZ lamb and even butter and cheese, but I never knew what if anything we exported there, does anyone else?

Yep. We export food, drink, clothing and machinery over there too. It's not a huge market, but the government selling point is the reduction in tariffs. The whole tariff removal thing is a red herring anyway, but let's say for the sake of argument it's a good thing.

The problem is it works out so bad for our farming industry, it actually sends the economic benefit of the deal into the negative. There's nothing there for our farmers, but huge opportunity here now for NZ farmers. Hence their positive receipt on hearing the news, and why they couldn't wait to sign the damn thing. And it also gives better access for them to our services and tech.

This trade deal is clearly more about politics and our desire to join the CPTPP. So we left the EU and shafted all our benefits there. But now want to join another trade bloc across the other side of the world, with little benefit that doesn't even come close making up for what we had with the EU (on our doorstep).

Good old Brexit hey :)

At its peak the British car industry exported motor cars, eventually dwindling away, but NZ is still a source of good condition "classics"

GDP of the mighty New Zealand approximately $240 billion, by comparison the GDP of Manchester is approximately $113 billion. Is there much chance of increasing what we already sell compared to giving them free rein to sell here?

As I stated earlier the EU exports 16.9% of world trade compared to 10.4% for the USA let that sink in, for a minute...

They are a behemoth, and we were part of that, and we quit and walked away.

YET! The UK deludes itself that the RoW is queuing up to concede more to the UK than it would to the USA, China or the EU, why?

The RoW has to concede more to the UK than the three major trading powers by a phenomenal amount to make up the shortfall of lost trade with the EU for ENTIRELY IDEOLOGICAL REASONS!

It's the maddest of failed logic.

Truly, truly delusional.

As I stated earlier the EU exports 16.9% of world trade compared to 10.4% for the USA let that sink in, for a minute...

They are a behemoth, and we were part of that, and we quit and walked away.

YET! The UK deludes itself that the RoW is queuing up to concede more to the UK than it would to the USA, China or the EU, why?

The RoW has to concede more to the UK than the three major trading powers by a phenomenal amount to make up the shortfall of lost trade with the EU for ENTIRELY IDEOLOGICAL REASONS!

It's the maddest of failed logic.

Truly, truly delusional.
The UK reminds me of a member of a highly successful boyband who decides being in a group like that is too limiting. They think they'll do just fine on their own. It worked out for Robbie Williams after all.

But we remember the successes precisely because they're so rare. The overwhelming majority of times someone leaves a boyband you never hear of them again. Or they'll appear on some 'celebrity' TV show years later and people have to be reminded who they were.

The number of times some nation has left a successful trading block and gone on to do even better is even more vanishingly small than the 'guy who is always third from the left' when BoyBandX is on stage performing going on to have a stellar career as a solo performer.

The UK reminds me of a member of a highly successful boyband who decides being in a group like that is too limiting. They think they'll do just fine on their own. It worked out for Robbie Williams after all.

But we remember the successes precisely because they're so rare. The overwhelming majority of times someone leaves a boyband you never hear of them again. Or they'll appear on some 'celebrity' TV show years later and people have to be reminded who they were.

The number of times some nation has left a successful trading block and gone on to do even better is even more vanishingly small than the 'guy who is always third from the left' when BoyBandX is on stage performing going on to have a stellar career as a solo performer.
Currently, the French are more powerful than the UK, even though the UK's military is significantly superior (Aircraft carriers and nuke subs). Because they have the economic muscle of the EU behind them in most cases.

Actually, it's worse than that because the imbalance includes much smaller individual nations such as Italy, and Netherlands.

That's if you're running in the dick race of my Daddy is bigger than your Daddy

Currently, the French are more powerful than the UK, even though the UK's military is significantly superior (Aircraft carriers and nuke subs). Because they have the economic muscle of the EU behind them in most cases.

Actually, it's worse than that because the imbalance includes much smaller individual nations such as Italy, and Netherlands.

That's if you're running in the dick race of my Daddy is bigger than your Daddy
Is that why US/Australia did a pact with UK then over France?

France is carrying rest of EU on its own now.

Or US/UK sells more hardware. :facepalm:

:facepalm: Maybe you should check first before posting ! (Maybe 2020 was a one off, must be Brexit! :D)

Looks like not much in it between France/UK looking at the trend (1950-2019).

World's largest arms exporters now
Figures are SIPRI Trend Indicator Values (TIVs) expressed in millions. These numbers may not represent real financial flows as prices for the underlying arms can be as low as zero in the case of military aid. The following are estimates from Stockholm International Peace Research Institute.[15]

Rank
SupplierArms Exp
(in billion TIV)
23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.png
United States
23px-Flag_of_Russia.svg.png
Russia
23px-Flag_of_France.svg.png
France
23px-Flag_of_Spain.svg.png
Spain
23px-Flag_of_Germany.svg.png