1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Negative feedback on Velodyne subs?

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by nathan_silly, Feb 18, 2003.

1. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would like to hear of owners of Velodynes comments- ie, bad QC, bursting into flames etc!

Everything has got faults of some sort. I'm sure they are good, but hearing just the Velo reps good comments is a bit worrying.

Thanks
    Nathan

2. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About the only thing I could pick fault with is that the cardboard box the CHT-10 comes in only has one colour printing on it :eek: :laugh:

Seriously though, the auto on/off on the CHT-10 seems to be a little bit annoying (not coming on when you think it would be) but I believe that's not a problem specific to Velodyne. Anyway, it's soon solved by leaving it on all the time :)

3. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    my cht-10 has an audible hum coming from it. can be quiet annoying in quiter parts of films.
    apart from that................

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I guess subwoofers are pretty much bullet proof- as long as the build quality, power supply, driver are all HQ then it should last yonks.

Not like TV/AV Amps etc which might require new tunes/require firmware updates etc.

Does the CHT-15 have hum? What about the HGS? I will not accept any level of rum from a £2000 sub. My Storm is silent.

5. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All Servo subs have to breathe (better description than hum). My HGS is on all day and turned off before I hit the sack, during that time I don't notice the breathing but if you concentrate you can make it out. Mine is probably noisier that most as I can't avoid having my phono cable running next to power cables. I'd be curious to hear if there is a difference when the HGS is used with XLR cables.

6. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Going to balanced connections might reduce the breathing effect slightly.

Hopefully a digitally connected DD-18 won't breathe anymore. For those interested the breathing is caused by the Servo trying to zero the cone after a very slow movement - ie a low amplitude, low frequency signal.

7. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About the XLR cables- I'm using a phono-XLR from my processor to my Storm.

Will this help?

Is the noise similar to Bass reflex subwoofer "Port Chuffing?"

8. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +937
    No hum from my CHT15. Only complaint I have is that it constantly produces tight controlled bass and trouser-flapping lows, only rectified by switching it off.:laugh:

Seriously though, its performed flawlessly since I bought it.:)

9. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Assuming that breathing as Phil describes it is the slow movement of the cone in and out, which happens all the time but is very quiet, then XLRs will help, since any noise in the signal line causes it, and XLRs are very good at rejecting interference.

10. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Negative feedback on my own Velodyne.

1) Pianno Finish attracts dust like an 85 year old millionare attracts bimbo's. Very susceptible to finger/hand prints etc
    2) As mentioned by Phil, a little heavy breathing.
    3) Big size
    4) Big electricity bill (1250 watts peaking at 3 kilowatts)
    5) My neighbors teenage daughter moans that she can hear it.
    Godzilla is located in a seperate building with 9" thick concrete walls. The door is vault like and airtight. The teenager who is complaining lives 2 doors away and our houses are not adjoining.
    6) When people come over for sub demo's. Having heard the HGS-18, they curse me if they have the budget for this as "they must have it". Or they don't have the budget and curse me for opening their eyes (and ears)
    7) My friend Errol was physically sick a few months ago as Godzilla did a good job at resonating his bowels. True
    Strangely enough he wants one when he converts his garage :D

And finally, something really upsetting (for HGS-15/18 owners), Velodyne put the THX Ultra 2 logo on the box :mad: and back of the amp plate :mad: and not somewhere sensible like the front.
    I ask you. Is this daft or what....

Attached Files:

11. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah noticed that problem with piano gloss back (my rears are the same finish)

Has the HGS got any hum?

Thanks

12. eddiea

eddiea

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK......... My CHT-10 is the best Sub I've ever had, I used to have a Rel 150E then a Strata III then a Yamaha, the Velo outperforms them all, superb with music and then the real surprise, I don’t know how on earth something can sound so sweet with music then shake the room and flap trousers with HT but it does.

If I was to criticise slightly, there is a slight hum but I can live with that as my £500 centre speaker has a slight hum, the speaker terminals are tacky, I would have preferred banana plug sockets but again I'm not really bothered because I connect with phono only.

Anyway I like it so much I am considering buying a second one.:D

13. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Errr let me see, there's the distortion free bass, but that's not a fault though. What about the superb bass control, but thats not a fault either. I know, the way it underpins the rest of your system and there's nothing twice it's price to beat it, damn, can't even call that a fault. I give up, must be faultless. :smashin:

14. LDR

LDR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    When I first had my CHT-10 I also noticed a very slight hum, however, some 6 months or so later I now do not notice it at all, I dont know if this is because a) the sub has blown my ears to shreds, or b) I have NEVER turned it off at the mains since I've had it and can only think that it is doing it some good (although my elecy bill will beg to differ) !! :rolleyes:

15. IainC

IainC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yep, have to say that mine has an audible hum/breathing too.

Never noticed it at first but after a while I'd switched almost everything off and it was quiet in the house (we live in the country with virtually no neighbours ;) ) and I heard it then.

Have since moved it and don't notice it quite as much now even when the room is silent.

Only other thing I came across was were had people round and my wife thought she heard some music (we figured it was next door). Everything was off apart from the sub (amp was off, as was the TV, etc not on standby but properly off).

Anyway, a little later in the night we heard it again and I managed to trace it back to the sub. Pulled the power out and it stopped, plugged it back in and despite changing all the settings on the back it still did it. Hasn't done it once since I moved it so I can only assume that it was down to the digital cordless phone that was right beside it or the power supply for that, which was also very close to it.

Very strange problem though but after moving it I've heard nothing like it since so I doubt it would be a common problem?

All in all very impressed with it so far (then again it is my first sub ;) )

16. kwijibo

kwijibo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    breathing??

surely this is transformer hum because the transformers are not designed for 220v.

This isn't to say they are not great subs, they clearly are, but they do not 'breathe', they 'hum'

17. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear. Subwoofer hum- :thumbsdow Velodynes are out then.

How loud is the hum?- at what distance can you hear it? Within 1 foot (no volume), then I'll accept that.

Nathan

18. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why accept anything when you can buy a Rel Quake :confused:

19. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Eric- have you got a demonstation model? CHT/HGS series.

I know you give discounts on the powerbuys, but since Velo dealers are hard to find- I don't want to spend £2K on a totally unheard unit.

Thanks
    Nathan

20. uncle eric

uncle eric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nathan,
    I have HGS and CHT's on demo. Send me a PM and come for a listen. It would be nice if you went to demo a few others before you come over while they are fresh on your mind.
    Hopefully this will give you an idea why Velo owners rate their subs so highly.

21. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Nathan
    I recognise and respect your concerns over hum (of any kind infact).
    Amongst the hifi community hum is the very devil himself (commonly refered to as "the beast").

However all of my Servo's exhibit the cone "hum" all be it requiring a "hands and knees" affair to hear it.

Steve.

(this "hum" is not transformer induced or mechanical and would indeed be best described as a "breathing" sound).

22. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Any negative feedback on Velodyne subs?

Well, a friend of mine came over to hear the CHT-15 and after watching The Attack Of The Clones at reference level, he actually came away feeling physically drained. His quote was, "your sub drains too much energy out of me". :smashin:

BTW, there are alot of people on this forum that own velodyne subs but doesn't the fact that none of them have made a single negative comment regarding their subs performance tell you anything? :)

23. adox

adox
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

...eemmm i posted that there is an audible hum from mine which can be quiet annoying. i think that`s a negative comment. my listening postion is about 10 feet away and it can still be heard.
    it is a minor gripe and of course the pluses outweigh the minsus heavily, but it is a fault i find with it.
    what`s the point in posting all the plus points of the subs on a thread that is asking for negatives?:rolleyes:

24. tk2001

tk2001

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I even get a small hum from mine, but in order to hear it I have to have my ears right next to the sub.

Yes, people have made negative comments along the line that their sub is either too big, too ugly, or that it makes a humming noise. I also said that nobody who owns a Velodyne sub has made a single negative comment regarding their subs PERFORMANCE.

25. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know where I can get phono-XLR cables?

I'll have to try one and see what a difference it makes.

26. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  27. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Nathan :smashin:

28. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh, make sure you find the wiring for the Velodyne XLR- my phono to XLR cable from the .1 LFE to my subwoofer works fine.

But I tried the same cable from a processor to a Rotel poweramp (XLR input) and it had a loud HUMMMMMMM.. so guess wired differently.

29. martintyler

martintyler
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My HGS15 also 'breathes'. If everything else is turned off i can just hear it from my seating position (about 10 feet away). However, my plasma makes more noise so when that is on I cant hear the sub :)

Neither the sub or the plasma noise seem to deter from the sound i get though and even with the quietest soundtrack i dont think i can hear either component.

Otherwise, fantastic sub

30. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0