1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Negative discount electrical thread?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by sean.pittaway, Jul 23, 2004.

1. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why was the less than flatering thread about discount electrical deleted?

The main reason that i purchased my projector from them was by looking at peoples experiances of them which seemed very good.

I hit the search button, and reasuringly nothing bad showed up, only glowing recomendations....

It was a bit of a waste of time really, if anyting negative gets deleted...

It is apparent that at least two people have not been happy with the service that they received from and i find my self wondering how many others have complained and had there negative postings disapear?

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,102
    It has not been deleted and will be back shortly.

3. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to clear up any confusion here.

I've spoken with DE today and can confirm that they will be giving me a refund subject to testing the projector and finding fault with the unit.

This is entirely acceptable to me and the parcel has just been picked up so its only a matter of time before the refund.

DE has redeemed itself in my eyes and I wouldn't let the lack of knowledge regarding returns procedure from one employee put me off in future.

4. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    ShinObiWAN,

:smashin: Glad you got that sorted out...................

Sean.

5. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    We really do try! honestly!

I don't know what happened exactly yet, but I will find out.

What happened was an understandable reaction to a miscommunication or misunderstanding. I have now set out what the position is/was/always will be.

All of you who have dealt with us know that we really do try and be fair and go above and beyond what could be reasonably expected.

I welcome critiscism, thats how we get better.

The two threads you mention are still there I think, all I ask is if we do get negative threads nothing defamatory is said and we get a chance to respond.

I have never asked for any posts on these forums to be deleted, and never will.

People leave good feedback (unprompted :smashin: ) because they have had a good experience with us, long may it continue.

Once again my apologies for the misunderstanding.

6. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the appology Ben.

I would certainly use DE again, it seems that in the end is was nothing more than miscommunication and the girl I spoke to who told me I couldn't have a refund was simply not aware of the circumstances.

So to sum up, I'm happy with the resolution and based on this experience I see absolutely no reason for not dealing with DE. It is a shame I was kept waiting so long for a replacement and the troubles with returning the projector -specifically the courier. But to be fair I suppose both of these were out of DE's hands.

7. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Like i said mine was actually replaced within 2 weeks...

I would also add that ben was very helpfull on the two times that i met him.

But, hand on heart, i can honestly say that i would rate DE as probably the worst company i have delt with when an item as developed a fault.

ShinObiWAN, i hope yours is sorted out as quickly as mine was.

8. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    And why would you say that?

Just curious

9. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ermm, I don't think it will take 2 weeks to test the projector and issue a refund.

Even dabs don't take that long :)

10. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    No we take around a day!

"I would rate DE as probably the worst company i have delt with when an item as developed a fault"

It really bugs me when the issues of our service and Panasonic are conflated like this. My boss has been in the business longer than I have been alive and we deal with anything we can THAT day (or else we get jumped on!)! But if Pansonic are not playing ball I can stand outside the office in Bracknall and scream and shout all I like, but It won't make a difference!

My own personal machine, a PTAE100 (remember them!) was away for nearly 6 months and I did not get any kind of compensation or a replacement.

I'm beginning to ramble now, sorry.

11. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ben,

Just out of curosity how long before the HS20's are back in stock?

Not for me but the soon to be brother in law wants one based on what he saw with mine - when it worked :)

12. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The original thread is here.

:smoke:

13. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ben, Reasons -

I was told XYZ on the telephone. This did not happen when i turned up in the shop.

My projector was set-up and EVERYONE AGGREED THAT THERE WAS A FAULT.
    At this point i asked for a replacement.

I was told, it had to go to panasonic for repair.

I did not want a repair on a item costing £1300 when i have only had it for a few weeks. So i asked for a refund.

I was then told it was going to panasonic (who has siad upto 5 weeks).

I said that that was not acceptable and i wanted a refund.

After an hour of arguing, I ASKED DE to contact trading standards to confirm what was the minimun YOU had to do leagally.

You did contact them and you did the minimum that they said you had to do.

My main problem was that your shop had seen and aggreed that there was a fault, but you still made me wait (for an indeterminate amount of time) for a repair (although it was eventually replaed).

I was told that your shop would push for a replacement, but could not gaurantee one.

14. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think the answer to this lies in the fact neither ourselves or Panasonic HAD ANY STOCK!

If we did we would have replaced it STRAIGHT AWAY, no HASSLE. As, and I must point this out, we have done for many many customers in the past.

As anyone who has ever dealt with Pansonic will know, stock comes in monthly with little warning.

I still fail to understand how any other retailer could have done anything about that situation!

I still need to clear the full facts up with the members of staff with knowledge of this situation. But I do know this.

The replacement was issued to US by Panasonic and not the Customer after many days of nice, and not so nice pleading with Pansonic. We went to extraordinary lengths to secure a replacement unit (Actually this unit probably came from buffer stock, for which you usually have to either threaten legal action or not to pay them to get access to)

RE the ShinObiWAN situation, a glance over to the other thread reveals that this was a misunderstanding and is now resolved, everyone is happy! (Well relatively)

Anyway, its Sunday and I intend to get some rest and relaxation! Reason being that I am off to Nottingham tommorrow (thats quite a way from where we are :rolleyes: ) because our courier managed to misplace the tuner for a plasma delivered to the customer :suicide: . Becuase this guy, putting it kindly, doesn't feel fully confident in putting the thing together and tuning it in, and that I feel a sense of responsability towards him for the amount of kit he has bought :) I will be doing it for him, for nothing.

Of course if I hadn't have said this then peoples recent experience of our company would be this rather factually dubious thread.

I don't particularly like discussing customers individual details on a discussion forums, but If that's what it takes for the truth to emerge then that is what I will do.

It seems quite strange that long after the original post has been dealt with to satisfaction and amusment/bemusement of both parties we seem to have rather a hijacking going on.

Ah well, you can't please everyone all of the time. Don't know who said that but it's quite true!

Thanks to all of you for your supportive comments :hiya: , it is encouraging and we really do try to please everyone. But then everyone has different expectations, I appeal to you to use your better judgement when I post hopefully my final reply tomorrow and we can hopefully see just what the size of this issue that sparked this massive thread is.

May I also point out that I belive in unadulterated free speech (as long as it's responsible) but I know that both manufacturers and other retailers watch these forums extremely closely and are far more litigious than us. Perhaps indicating the reason for the absence of other threads highlighting real, justified and concerning bad service from big and small player alike that I hear so much of from customers.

To put it quite bluntly I know of retailers (and this has been reinforced by the manufacturer) faced with this situation that would just laugh and tell you to phone said company, or take it back and issue a refund, months later, minus massive restock fee and useage fee. Do we ever hear anything about this?

I know it's quite unusual for a retaler to be arguably agressive in refuting claims of bad service. Current thinking indicates I should do the whole "Im genuinely sorry Mr XXX had problems" But I actually feel in this case we have done nothing wrong, and put HUGE amounts of effort into resolving the situation!

You all know me well enough by now, or at least old timers like Kramer and theRitz (Sorry :laugh: ) to know we are genuinely a company that tries to offer the best blend of savage web pricing, extras like pixel checks, and good old high street service. Any one individual with an unjustified grudge who asserts this is not the case better be able to justify that objectively and with reference to other companies in a similar field.

I hate it when it gets all serious like this! I'm off to see if I can afford a H77 :smashin: donations very welcome, paypal is fine :laugh:

Oh and those HS20's I think will be in stock Monday (but no promises :smashin: )

15. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I agree, enuff is enuff :)

I will stop going on about what happened on the day i returned it and concentrate on the rest.

I was happy with the final result - two weeks to sort out the problem was great.

I am also very happy with my projector (although i can still see the vb - curse the bastard that mentioned it!:)).

You were also helpfull on the telephone and very plesant when i visited the shop.

Regards,
    Sean.

16. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think its safe to say that when you judge a company by its response when things go wrong, DE is good, very good infact.

17. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Interesting thread, Ben i agree Panasonic are a nightmare (let me rephrase that, Panasonic UK are) There stock levels and logistics are a law unto themselves and their service dept. is not the worlds best. Also as good/bad as it may be for the consumer paying the lowest price for a product is not always the best value!

18. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ShinObiWAN, i am sure this thread helped to move things along... ;)

And I dident want my last post to sound so positive :)

I was getting at the fact that ben himself was very helpfull. But i was not impressed by the other people i dealt with and i would not use DE again, nor would i recomend them.

But, :) like i said my projector WAS replaced within two weeks and i LIKE my projector!

19. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Utter crap,

Its been 3 weeks since the projector was picked up and I'm still waiting for the refund to be returned to my account.

I was told that the refund was processed on the 4th August, after returning the parcel on the 23rd, so it took 2 weeks to test the unit and issue the refund and yet I'm still waiting for the funds to show in my account. This must be one of the slowest refunds I've ever had to endure.

Really am fed up here. I'm missing £1526, have nothing to show for it and am still waiting afterall this time.

I remember saying that I'd do business with you again, well that ain't happening again and neither will I recommend you to anyone I remotely care about.

20. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm genuinely sorry that it's taken a little longer than usual (but still less than most) and can confirm that the funds had left our account at the time stated.

21. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I'm genuinely sorry that it's taken a little longer than usual (but still less than most) and can confirm that the funds had left our account at the time stated.

22. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I dont want to say that i said this would happen...

23. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Yeah i hate it too when this happens if i buy goods.......

So this is one to avoid then is it ?

24. ShinObiWAN

ShinObiWAN
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Something you'll have to decide for yourself.

Personally I'd say 'no' but others on here would disagree. I always judge a company by their aftersales service and with this one I've been kept waiting, have provided misinformation, failed collections, not had phone calls returned even though promised, its been a rough ride since I ordered the PJ on the 13th July.

25. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    sean.pittaway This is a genuine and sincere appeal to you to just leave this one, at least until we have a resolution and all the facts are known. It's quite clear to me you have a (in my opinion quite unjustified) grudge against us as a retailer. May I respectfully suggest you take the pulse of other retailers and perhaps try their service for faulty items before condemning us so freely (especially one that involves a Panasonic item past it's immediate replacement time scale) I think it's fair to say the reason there are not more negatve retailer threads putting this one in it's rightful context is because they would sue without thinking about it - you have to remember the amount of people that read this forum (and those who just lurk without registering)

Shinobiwan, I will look into this and check our Bank statements but several calls to streamline indicate that the funds have left our account, it's worth mentioning that the funds when taken from a card take a few days to hit our account (but I accept it has been longer than a few days :rolleyes: ) I will of course do whatever I can to ensure you have the money back in your account. I do however feel it's appropriate to mention that we have already had an 'aborted' sale in which funds were taken and at your request the order cancelled and the monies refunded immediatly, as is usual.

Anyone who has ever has a refund from us feel free to comment :hiya:

We quite freely and happily keep stock for people without deposit for what could be (and often is!) months, tens of thousands of pounds in 'promises' which we are quite happy to do, really nothing sinister about this just a genuine problem.

I do know of companies where peoples non-prompt refunds form a core part of working capital! :nono:

26. Fjorko

Fjorko

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Ben,

You do sound quite sincere, and i can surely understand your point of view also. ;)

I might consider your company if i buy my projector. :smashin:

Do you have stock of the TX100 ? If so, what do they go for (delivered) ?

Cheers :hiya:

27. William

William
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I had reason to return an item to Discount Electrical earlier this year. The service I received was exemplary and I received an immediate refund (I returned the item personally at the shop). Ben (and all the staff) were exceptionally helpful throughout including setting up a demo at very short notice for me.

28. sean.pittaway

sean.pittaway
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I am not saying a word ;)

29. Jack the lad

Jack the lad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted: