Neff C17MS32N0B microwave - don't buy before you read this|!!

I ended up having to walk away they are on to this and will fight back.

If you send me your email address via the 'conversation' private connection, I'll send you the docs. Although i assume it's out of warranty as over 1 yr old as this problem was present when it was sold I believe you would still have a legal case as the unit is not fit for purpose.. Nick

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the response. I don't appear to be able to start a new conversation on my profile. Possibly because I've not been registered on the forum very long? Is there any way around this?

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the response. I don't appear to be able to start a new conversation on my profile. Possibly because I've not been registered on the forum very long? Is there any way around this?
I've sent you a message via the conversation facility. Nick

Hi Nick0207 many thanks for your forum posts on this topic. I came across the info on the forum when i have become frustrated that our Neff Microwave/Oven would not cook popcorn and the second bag i put in after cooking the 1st didnt even cook 25% of the corns which got me thinking whats wrong with this very expensive microwave that doesnt do what a £99 cheap microwave could do.

Are you able to send me some of the info/letters you have with Neff as i am keen to follow this up as it is unreasonable to pay £1000 for a microwave that cant output more than 600Watts for over 2mins.

I cant start a conversation as i have only just joined this forum.

For that matter if any other members have this information from Nick i would be grateful if you could pass it on?

This conversation is a real eye opener as we had the hide and slide oven plus combo oven/microwave and warmer picked out for our kitchen.

May have to just go for 2 hide and slides (as these seem ok?) and a separate microwave as I cant see any other suppliers that make a combo integrated unit?

I have a slide and hide and it works fine. The issue with the combi is just the microwave part as it is the magnetron that is the vulnerable part i understand. If you are happy with, what is in reality, a 600w microwave, then go for it but just be aware that it won't cook some foods like popcorn (ever) and everything else takes a lot longer than pretty well any other microwave on sale. I don't know any other manufacturer who sells (or would expect anyone to buy) a 600w microwave!

So disappointing as seemed an ideal solution and space saver - not sure I could live with a 600W oven but have a friend with the machine so will speak to them and see it in action before deciding. We only really heat up soup/beans/cooked food so could live with it I guess....we do use defrost a lot but I understand the oven can do this?

Hi Nick0207

My parents have a neff combi oven and have made comments about the microwave function (1000w) not being as good as my built in microwave (900w). They had an engineer out to try and fix it but it didn't help. Sounds like this may be why!

I can't seem to start a conversation with you but would be interested in getting any documentation you have please.

Thank you.

Hi Nick0207
I have one of these microwaves, after reading these posts I have engaged with the said ‘Catherine’, who openly admits that the machine drops to 600w.She states that the machine should not cook at 1000W anyway, as it states in one part in manual that it’s intended for liquids only at that Wattage.No food that you buy for microwaves has 600w on the packets anyway.So what’s the point in buying this ,if we knew all this,would not have bought for sure, it’s been miss sold to the public.
This should have on packaging and sales that it only heats up liquids for 60 seconds at full power, and food at 600w or lower.
Can I be cheeky and have your email to contact you about resolutions to this.
Cheers Heno

Hi Nick0207 many thanks for your forum posts on this topic. I came across the info on the forum when i have become frustrated that our Neff Microwave/Oven would not cook popcorn and the second bag i put in after cooking the 1st didnt even cook 25% of the corns which got me thinking whats wrong with this very expensive microwave that doesnt do what a £99 cheap microwave could do.

Are you able to send me some of the info/letters you have with Neff as i am keen to follow this up as it is unreasonable to pay £1000 for a microwave that cant output more than 600Watts for over 2mins.

I cant start a conversation as i have only just joined this forum.

For that matter if any other members have this information from Nick i would be grateful if you could pass it on?

Iam in process of dealing with Neff ( Catherine Walsh)
How do I get in contact with Nick, would like to ask some questions,but not on open forum just yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
You need to click on his avatar and choose start a conversation (or whatever it is called this week :D) Not sure if you can as a novice member but Nick can start one I think..... you can type an ampersand and the person’s name and t souls alert them (unless they have it turned off). Like this @Nick0207

Hi all,

A quick update on my previous posts. I've just returned from a few months away and surprise surprise, no reply from Neff.

I sent my original email back in November outlining the issues with this microwave as well as issues with my other Neff products and will update here when I get a response if ever.

I've been doing some digging and anyone looking to get in touch with Neff might find the following interesting:

If you have a look at your manuals there should be sections which states how long the microwave operates for on the various power levels.

My manual states it can operate at max. for 30 mins. I've had a look at the manual on the Neff website as well which I assume is the most recent version and this states the same.

The newer online manual however does have a note stating the microwave will reduce power after a few minutes. I find this contradictory anyway as above this note, it still states max power can run for 30mins. I suspect they've added this in at a later date to try and cover themselves.

Furthermore, at the back of the manual in the recommended cooking time section, it suggests 4-6mins at 600w for microwave popcorn however mine doesn't cook microwave popcorn at all regardless of setting.

It also states in this same section that 400ml liquid can be warmed at max for 2-6 minutes which obviously can't be done.

I think the main argument here would be that the microwave physically will not operate for more than 70 seconds at max. but the manual states it is possible. I really can't see how Neff can justify this.

I've attached photos of the manuals I've found if anyone needs them.

Attachments

• DF1C31E5-7FB4-4E91-812B-06081CDB40D7.jpeg
    DF1C31E5-7FB4-4E91-812B-06081CDB40D7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 137
  • 0843B7A4-7D9D-4868-B0A8-BF51F32894D0.jpeg
    0843B7A4-7D9D-4868-B0A8-BF51F32894D0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 141
  • C7F431F5-780C-4740-B389-90BA7421353C.jpeg
    C7F431F5-780C-4740-B389-90BA7421353C.jpeg
    648 KB · Views: 154
I have been in contact with Catherine Walsh for a while now.
They do not dispute any of the findings, The manual has been modified to state that the power drops.They constantly say it’s got to be taken up with the retailer ( in law yes) but these machines have been misold to public and retailers.
I have been offered a refund if I send my old microwave to my original retailer as one choice,I have been offered an extra warranty period (what for I don’t know),they also offered me the chance to phone up and get bespoke cooking times as this machine is no good for anything, as most microwave foods don’t cook on low 600w.
But if I take up the refund option ,what do I put in to replace it, I have matching double oven and plate warmers.
People need to phone Trading Standards ,need more people to complain,advertising standards, I contacted John Lewis and told them they are selling a product not fit for purpose.
My next step maybe small claims court.
I was hoping to chat with NiCK

Hi there, Sadly I've just been sucked in with the same problem "microwave" after being perfectly happy with NEFF for years. Not only am I very disappointed to hear that the microwave won't actually microwave anything I hate the fact that it blows cold air for 5 mins after every use not matter how long I use it :(

If Nick is still around I wouldn't mind getting in contact with him or if someone else can help.

My manual states that the 1000w is only good for heating liquids that is completely useless to us.

@Nick0207 if you are kind enough to return to the thread it would be most appreciated.

I'm now already looking at buying another microwave but how can I even be sure it won't be the same it's not like you can even test them before they arrive :(

Mine is a C17MR02.0B

I have a C17MR02N0B combi microwave and I agree the output is erratic. However, my more pressing problem is that, even though set to microwave only, the outer element also heats up. This has caused many a burn when removing food and also means that the receptacles get hot and oven gloves are needed to remove items from oven. Has anyone else experienced this?

I hate the fact that it blows cold air for 5 mins after every use not matter how long I use it :(

In the setup menu:-

Dry microwave > OFF
Fan run-on time > MINIMUM

I would counter some of the negativity by saying that if you forget about the 'Max' microwave mode and treat it like any other 600W microwave, it works fine. We've got a Siemens variant (same hardware / firmware) and never had a problem with it. But then we don't do strange things like trying to heat up bowls of water!

I can honestly say we've had no issues just following the instructions on packets.

However, my more pressing problem is that, even though set to microwave only, the outer element also heats up. This has caused many a burn when removing food and also means that the receptacles get hot and oven gloves are needed to remove items from oven. Has anyone else experienced this?

As above, turn off 'Dry Microwave' in the settings menu.

Just about to replace all our Neff appliances, glad I found this before doing so.

A shame really, they've all been quite reliable, with only the microwave combo requiring a repair over the last 10 years.
I seem to remember when it was taken apart that the repair guy said the microwave components were made by Panasonic, which was surprising. But then I guess that's no different to, for example, tv screens, where only a few companies actually make the screen itself.

So, I guess the question now is, what other companies makes a double oven and microwave that are the same size as the Neff units?

There’s nothing wrong with the BSH stuff unless you want to microwave bowls of water at 1000W for some reason!

We just use the 600W setting for everything, and it works fine, and is perfectly compatible with the standard instructions on food packaging.

Glad you're pleased with it.

If I buy something that's advertised as being good for 1000W, then that's what I expect it to be.
For me, the whole point of spending more on a particular make is that it should be have a good performance and reliability, the Neff/Siemens/Bosch units don't have the power of their competitors.

Just had a quick look in the fridge, nothing even given on heating instructions for 600w, but then who makes 600w micros nowadays? Apart from the Bosch lot?

I have a kettle for water, I never mentioned using a micro for boiling water.

The water thing was referring to earlier posts on this thread.

The manual says that the 1000w setting is just for ‘heating liquids’, and it does now clearly describe the limitations.

I think that if you’ve already done your research (which you have, and I did) then you know what you’re getting.

The original poster on this thread was rightly upset because at the time he was posting these limitations were not well known, not documented in the manual. And to add insult to injury he got the runaround from the manufacturer.

The 600w setting is more than adequate for all normal use - for example things like packet rice that say 2 mins at 750W on the packet are steaming hot - too hot in fact - so we now run them for 1:50 instead.

Like any appliance, you quickly get used to it. Not once has something come out inadequately heated though when using it this way. We just never touch the 1000w setting and have set the default power to 600.

Thanks for all the work documenting this issue.

Are there any BSH appliances immune from this problem?
I note that the C27NS32H0B is 900w so presumably a different magnetron is involved?

I don’t actually believe there is a problem. Just don’t use the fake ‘max’ mode.

The devices are perfectly capable at the standard setting.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom