Needle For Technics SL-1200MK2

DJ Dave

I've recently got my two Technics SL-1200MK2's out of the garage and am in the process of getting some new needles for them.

I currently have the Stanton Trackmaster 1's on them (red and black), but can't find a replacement stylus for them. I still have my original Technics cartridges too, but have got quite attached to the concord style needles.

Obviously the Ortofons have always been decent, but I've been out of the picture for nearly 20 years.

Does anyone recommend anything? Going to be mixing only, no scratching. Open to listening to either concorde style or I could go back to using the Technics cartridge. I also have about £135 to spend with SuperFi, so would be handy if they sold it!

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Did a search for Stanton Trackmaster 1 Stylus, indeed they are rare and hard to find.

Generally the Stylus is about 80% of the cost of the Cartridge, so perhaps buying a new cartridge is the right path.

I have two Stanton Cartridges from back when they made Hi-Fi cartridges (500 & 680), I really like the sound of them.

Whether you get an Elliptical or a Conical Stylus is up to you, but a vast majority of Hi-Fi Cartridge/Stylus are Elliptical.

Audio Technical does make Conical Cartridges that are in you price range and available at SuperFi. You might check them out.

Can I assume your TrackMaster is a P-Mount like this -

STANTON Stanton Trackmaster V3 MP4 Cartridge Twin Pack vinyl at Juno Records.

It doesn't attach to the headshell but rather mounts directly to the Tonearm?

Again, that is your personal decision to make, but most Hi-Fi turntable us a Cartridge mounted to the Headshell.

Ortofom 2M Series do come in P-Mount or Plug'n'Play models, give them a consideration -

Ortofon 2M Red Plug and Play Cartridge - Superfi

Ortofon 2M Blue Plug and Play Cartridge - Superfi

Audio Technica - Pre-Mounted on a a Headshell -

Audio Technica AT-VM95EN Elliptical Nude Stereo Cartridge on AT-HS6 Headshell - Superfi

Audio Technica AT-VM95ML Microlinear Stereo Cartridge on AT-HS6 Headshell - Superfi

Audio Technica Conical -

Audio-Technica VM510CB Dual Moving Magnet Stereo Cartridge with Conical Stylus

And of course, a range of DJ-Style Cartridges -

DJ Cartridges at Superfi

It seems that most of those that plug directly into the Tonearm are Ortofon or Reloop.

There are places in the UK the specialize in DJ Equipment, and they would likely have a better selection of DJ Cartridges -

DJKIT - DJ Carts & Stylus, DJ Cartridges, DJ Stylus

The DJ Shop - Cartridges and Stylus

Also, most Musician Supply Stores have a good selection of DJ Kit -

https://www.gear4music.com/search/?str_search_phrase=turntable+cartridge#!eyJtIjpbXSwiYSI6W10sInM0NTEiOlsiMzM2NCJdLCJsYXN0X2ZpbHRlciI6IjQ1MSIsInN0cl9zZWFyY2hfdGVybSI6InR1cm50YWJsZSBjYXJ0cmlkZ2UiLCJzciI6IjEifQ%3D%3D

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
By the way, if by chance for some reason, you need replacement HeadShells, they are very common and generally universal -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=turntable+Headshell

This Graphic below is specifically for a Pioneer Turntable, and I'm sure you can find similar for a Technics. There are also alignment tools that plug to the Headshell, and your line up the Stylus with a point on the Tool.

Replacement Headshells -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=turntable+Headshell

Stylus Alignment Tool -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Overhang-Technics-SL1200-SL1210-turnable/dp/B01JJ73L6Y/

Pioneer Graphic -

Technics Graphic -

Technics Overhang Gauge - - Alignment Tool - Vinyl Engine

The distance, similar to that shown for the Pioneer, is 52mm as can be seen hear -

Google Image Result for https://www.kabusa.com/GIF/overhang.jpg

Yes, that's a crazy long link. It is to a Discussion Forum, go to this next link and scroll down to Post #20 -

Cartridge alignment is driving me insane

Here is the actual Graphic in case you want to save it. I don't think I can post it as an attachment though.

https://www.kabusa.com/GIF/overhang.jpg

The same graphic confirmed in this thread. I found these by simply doing an image search of Google-Images for technics stylus alignment tool.

Technics overhang gauge

The two key factors in mounting a Cartridge to a Technics Headshell are the that the Cartridge needs to be absolutely PARALLEL to the sides, and that the the Tip of the Stylus needs to be 52mm form the Headshell mount as shown in the graphics.

Actually, I just found this graphic illustrating what I said above-

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/67/c8/39/67c8392a2a2dec18a6acd2f3a43fa08c--stylus-details-about.jpg

Just a few more thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

MarkyPancake

Distinguished Member
I've still got my Trackmaster and Concorde DJ I got in the late 90s, both still going strong. I've got a pair of Ortofon Concorde S as well. I'm using the Trackmaster at the moment.

IMG_20190128_155117.jpg

Khazul

For mix use, I use ortofon electro concorde in each which I find have a sound character that seems to enhance a lot of dance music and they also work well with NI timecode vinyl for tractor. If I was buying for mixing only now, I might look at the concorde nightclub mk2 instead as they are more in-line with a hifi cartridge SQ wise, but constructed to tolerate back cueing so good for basic mix DJ use too.

For HiFi use, I stick an ortofon 2m bronze in one of them (in the original technics headshell that came with my SL1210 M5G decks) which I am very happy with (into a Yamaha A-S2100 amp which does have a very good phono stage). It takes just a few seconds to switch over the head-shells and adjust tracking weight and anti-skate.

Absolutely do not consider non-DJ cartridges if you back cue at all to sweep the drop point (as most of us do when cueing) as they will usually get damaged when you reverse - so ignore most of those that were posted by @BlueWizard above they will probably just get trashed (he knows his stuff really well in the hi-fi world, but maybe not so much in the DJ world).

Generally most DJ cartridges I find tend to want a tracking weight of over 3g - 4g in the case of the elctro, vs the 1.5 or so that my 2m bronze needs. For pure mix use if you have a very gentle touch, then you can get away with much lighter. My decks also have some additional setup for mix DJ vs scratch DJ use, so do check your turntable setup manual (an additional knob at the bottom of the arm mount on the left side near spare the headshell keeper hole - this may or may not be present or other SL12x0 models).

In the end it depends on budget - those I mention are not among the cheaper DJ cartridges. Also your DJ mixer's phono stage may not justify a particularly good cartridge - I don't think mine does (still have the DJM-800 and NI Audio DJ-10) but always intended to switch to something from Rane or Allen and Heath but never got around to it ;)

Last edited:

Nat64

I have a 1210 MK 6 .

I Use either AT440MLb or Denon DL-110.
Both are excellent and are very well suited to the Technics 1200/1210 and I have them on separate headshells for ease of change.

I also have the original DJ cartridge it came with and that is really very very good .

Technics EPC-U1200 Professional DJ Cartridge, Designed for easy screw-on mounting on standard turntable head shells, Hi-fi MM cartridge captures subtle music nuances, Low stylus pressure helps preserve hard-to-replace vinyl, fluorescent stylus tip, k

Have fun choosing one.

DJ Dave

I've still got my Trackmaster and Concorde DJ I got in the late 90s, both still going strong. I've got a pair of Ortofon Concorde S as well. I'm using the Trackmaster at the moment.

View attachment 1114394
Yeah, have the same Trackmaster as you, mine have "TEL" on the side of the stylus.

They no longer make the spare needles, so am doomed into buying a whole new pair. One thing I was suspicious of with the Trackmaster was that they might be a bit cruel to the vinyl. Having said that, hardly any of us probably had them set up properly, just left enough weight so that the needle didn't skate. There's an excellent tutorial on YouTube done by an old boy that shows you the proper way to do it.

I spoke to someone who has an online shop yesterday and he reckons that the spares for the Trackmaster were near enough the same price as the entire unit. Think I paid about £100 each for mine when new.

They're only supposed to last about 500 hours according to him.

In the meantime, I shall weigh up what to go with. Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited:

DJ Dave

Did a search for Stanton Trackmaster 1 Stylus, indeed they are rare and hard to find.

Generally the Stylus is about 80% of the cost of the Cartridge, so perhaps buying a new cartridge is the right path.

I have two Stanton Cartridges from back when they made Hi-Fi cartridges (500 & 680), I really like the sound of them.

Whether you get an Elliptical or a Conical Stylus is up to you, but a vast majority of Hi-Fi Cartridge/Stylus are Elliptical.

Audio Technical does make Conical Cartridges that are in you price range and available at SuperFi. You might check them out.

Can I assume your TrackMaster is a P-Mount like this -

STANTON Stanton Trackmaster V3 MP4 Cartridge Twin Pack vinyl at Juno Records.

It doesn't attach to the headshell but rather mounts directly to the Tonearm?

Again, that is your personal decision to make, but most Hi-Fi turntable us a Cartridge mounted to the Headshell.

Ortofom 2M Series do come in P-Mount or Plug'n'Play models, give them a consideration -

Ortofon 2M Red Plug and Play Cartridge - Superfi

Ortofon 2M Blue Plug and Play Cartridge - Superfi

Audio Technica - Pre-Mounted on a a Headshell -

Audio Technica AT-VM95EN Elliptical Nude Stereo Cartridge on AT-HS6 Headshell - Superfi

Audio Technica AT-VM95ML Microlinear Stereo Cartridge on AT-HS6 Headshell - Superfi

Audio Technica Conical -

Audio-Technica VM510CB Dual Moving Magnet Stereo Cartridge with Conical Stylus

And of course, a range of DJ-Style Cartridges -

DJ Cartridges at Superfi

It seems that most of those that plug directly into the Tonearm are Ortofon or Reloop.

There are places in the UK the specialize in DJ Equipment, and they would likely have a better selection of DJ Cartridges -

DJKIT - DJ Carts & Stylus, DJ Cartridges, DJ Stylus

The DJ Shop - Cartridges and Stylus

Also, most Musician Supply Stores have a good selection of DJ Kit -

https://www.gear4music.com/search/?str_search_phrase=turntable+cartridge#!eyJtIjpbXSwiYSI6W10sInM0NTEiOlsiMzM2NCJdLCJsYXN0X2ZpbHRlciI6IjQ1MSIsInN0cl9zZWFyY2hfdGVybSI6InR1cm50YWJsZSBjYXJ0cmlkZ2UiLCJzciI6IjEifQ%3D%3D

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/bluewizard

Thanks for such a detailed and helpful reply. Same to all.

Yes, it connects directly to the arm, same as another user that's on the thread.

I do like the look of the Ortofons, but they're so expensive. Having said that, I don't mind paying if they sound A1.

Attachments

• IMG_7643.JPG
    IMG_7643.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 387
Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom