Needing some HIFI Help

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Blueflash123, Dec 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Blueflash123

Blueflash123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there, I am very new to the HIFI world in terms of equipment, I super enjoy my music and have been wanting to step more onto a speaker setup with possibly a subwoofer if needed Im trying to find some speakers including amp if needed for around £300 that has good enough bass, I listen to all different kinds of music but mostly Indie and Dance(ish) so would be needing that bass but Im after more of a clean and punchy bass rather than a boomy bass and I was wanting the speakers to be pretty clean like studio monitors as I like a very clean sound so I was wondering what would be the best for me around £300? I tried looking around and came to the Yamaha HS7 Studio Monitors but figured it would be way too "Flat" for my liking and it seems to not offer the bass I wanted the second option I looked at was the "Wharfedale 9.1 Diamond" but it would require me to get an amp,

Advice would be much appreciated thank you!.

2. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,109
    The Yamaha’s will have easily ‘enough’ bass for you and, being a proper active speaker, the bass will not bloat or hang. It will be tuneful and quick.

The 9.1s are good speakers but will not be comparable to the HS7s

It’s a myth that dance music requires loads of bass. It actually requires just enough bass and for that bass to be fast, NOT bloated, and able to follow the rhythm without overhang spoiling it.

That said, the Yamaha’s have the capacity for variable bass via preferences on the rear panel.

But you don’t say what you will use to drive the speakers?

You’ll need a preamp of some sort, or an integrated amp with preouts.

Alternatively, if you intend to stream your music all you will need would be a ChromeCast audio, using the voulume control from your phone or tablet. (However the CCA does not support Apple Music or iTunes).

Also if you’re going to use a laptop to feed the speakers then you can use the volume control from that.

Although an outboard sound card would probably be preferable to the cheaper ones found in most pcs.

3. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    If you go with the HS7s you could add an HS8S as well.

4. Blueflash123

Blueflash123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your reply, I should have said this but I have a USB Mixer that I use for my XLR Microphone and that has RCA Outputs so I was thinking of using them, I have just heard that monitors have to be really centered to ear-level (that won't be possible right away) and tend to sound too plain? I do know the HS7's have some good bass but I'm more looking for the highs and mids to be warmish and not too cold and flat cause I do love my music to sound good on the ears as I listen to a lot of ambient music quite a lot of the time and I think with such music with it being very flat it just would not sound right, But I could be completely wrong! it's just what I have heard from people, it's a shame I can't find a store nearby that demos these speakers.

5. Blueflash123

Blueflash123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would love to if I went with the HS7's but in my honest opinion I don't think i would find myself paying £500 for a sub haha.

6. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,109
    It certainly helps to have the tweeters somewhere near ear level. But that’s true for every speaker; passive, active, cheap or obscenely expensive.

If they are going to be too high then it’s ok to turn them upside down.

And as for the Yamaha’s or any active speaker sounding ‘flat’? That’s just nonsense. I’ve owned loads.

They DO sound clean as a whistle and don’t bloat the sound all over the place though.

And cold? The only thing I can attach that to is the bass... people used too inexpensive passive speakers will be surprised by the tightness of active bass drivers.

But after your ears quickly become accustomed to the tightness and extra tunefulness of the actives you’re very unlikely to want to listen to the relative distortion in passive speakers again. Especially when pushed hard.

Ps, also don’t forget that the HS7s have bass and treble selection switches on the rear. These work well, but only as well as needed. If you were to find them ‘cold’ then flicking the bass switch to +2 and the treble to -2 would change the character, subtly, to a more bass oriented ‘warmer’ sound.

Having said that, Yamaha are not mugs at this game, and it seems unlikely that you’d not thoroughly enjoy them.

7. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    I have been using active (amp per driver) studio monitors of various kind for years as a mix engineer in a near field context and I have to say, by comparison I havnt really found any consumer setup at even several times the price that comes close for clarity and dynamics.
    Even if you are a bit more fair and stand a few meter away from the monitors, they still sound so clear and full of life.
    A lot of AV and even supposedly good hifi systems sound compressed to me by comparison with most of the studio systems I have worked with - even relatively cheap ones (down to about 400 quid or so per pair).
    The biggest issues with them in general is they are intended to expose flaws in recordings and mixes, not smooth them over and make them sound nice. Badly produced music may well sound horrible. OTOH well produced music generally sounds great especially with near field placement.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  8. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,603
    Got to agree with khazul, my son has the hs7 and when we first hooked them up I was not sure, just sounded as if listening through a heavy curtain. But then put on some of the tracks from the Spotify Cambridge Audio test playlist and - wow! These speakers have loads of life and a decent amount of taught bass but as said hold no prisoners on bad or heavily compressed recordings. For reference, the really bad one was Korn, I was expecting fieldy’s detuned bass to really come through but it was a mess.

If you want to add a small quality sub later look at the BK Gemini, £225 of subwoofer heaven. A real bargain.

If you want a test piece try Haken - Cockroach king.

9. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,239
    The first think you have to do is Moderate your Expectations. You only get just so much for £300. Now if you want to spend £300 on an Amp, and £300 on Speakers, and another £300 on a Sub, we can do something for you. But you have to accept that if you want quality, £300 can only buy just so much quantity.

If you want larger speakers with more powerful bass, then consider the KRK ROKIT RP6 or perhaps RP8 (6.5" and 8" respectively).

KRK Rokit RP6 G3 Studio Monitor

KRK Rokit RP8 G3 Studio Monitor

KRK Rokit RP6 Pair + Stands + Leads Bundle

KRK Rokit RP8 Pair + Stands + Leads Bundle

To get a better idea of their size, check them out in YouTube videos, or do a Google Image search. KRK are an extremely popular brand in Home Studios and for Video Editing.

KEEP IN MIND, Studio Monitors are priced EACH, not per pair unless otherwise stated.

When auditioning Studio Monitors, I personally liked the Mackie -

Mackie MR6 MK3 Active Monitor, Pair at Gear4music.com

Mackie MR8 MK3 Active Monitor (Single) at Gear4music.com

But the KRK have stronger bass than the Mackie, but the Mackie, in my opinion, have tighter more controlled bass.

Mackie MR6 Mk3 Active Studio Monitor

Mackie MR8 Mk3 Active Studio Monitor

Steve/bluewizard

10. Khazul

Khazul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +672
    I don't know the rokits, but I do have the old KRK V6s2 monitors and the V12S2 sub (which has a footswitch to defeat the sub and bypass the crossover to feed the full range signal to the mains) which I have used as my main mixing monitors at home for about a decade. If the rokits have any of the usual KRK character then they can be a bit in yr face for vocals and high/mids which for home listening may be a bit much. It also depends on how they are positioned and their surrounding and your listening distance as well of course. For mix work however I like them for the exactly reason they are a bit in-yr-face as you can make decent mix decisions on them. These days I am so used to them that less in-yr-face monitor sound a bit dead by comparison.

Ive used older and much more expensive mackies before (824 mostly) as well and generally liked them finding them more pleasant to just listen to music on, but whether that holds true for those above - Ive no idea.

The other monitors I have quite liked are genelec as well. Also Adam monitors, but they can also be a bit intense on the high end (but again, that's old experience not recent) which again suits mix work but may be a bit much for general listening.

Another monitor manufacturer I can recommend is Event. I've had a pair Event TR8-XL for close to 15 years until something went wrong with them recently (I suspect capacitors are failing). While I preferred their smoother sound for listening I preferred the KRK for mix work as they are more revealing. Not as cheap as your are at looking at (probably around 4-500 for a pair), but they do have good deep bass as well, so are great for dance music (which is mostly what I used to work on).

As for Yamaha - the last time I regularly used Yamaha studio monitors was actually the old NS-10 in the BBC back in the 80s. TBH I didnt think they sounded good at all however they were very representative of speakers of the time and were quite revealing and so you could produce a great audio mix on them that translated well to many of the common sound systems of the time.
    My current home AV actually has Yamaha AV/HiFi speakers on it (NS-F350 + matching surrounds, center and sub) and I quite like them, but I'm under no illusions about how they compare to even average pro-audio monitors (especially as they are being driven by an AVR).

11. Blueflash123

Blueflash123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Okay I have decided to raise my budget to £800 max what would I be looking at now? In terms of the expectations I truly have?

12. Ugg10

Ugg10

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,603
    This package might suit, Dali sensor 5 floor standers with Yamaha 602 network amp with dad, phono stage, sub out, Spotify and airplay built in. Or they do a similar deal with the q acoustics 3059 floor standers.

Yamaha R-N602 network stereo receiver + DALI ZENSOR 5 speakers + No cables included

Or if you want bookshelf speakers and a subwoofer there is the Yamaha 602 with the Dali Zensor 3’s with a bk Gemini that is just a tad over budget.

Yamaha R-N602 network stereo receiver + DALI ZENSOR 3 speakers + No cables included

Gemini

Best to buy the amp and speakers as a package, look at deals with audiot, sevenoakshifi, creative audio, peter Tyson etc.

Or sticking with actives, move up to the 8” HS8 and add the Gemini.

Yamaha HS8 Active Studio Monitor at Gear4music.com

Finally these are on offer - kef q700 for £500, loads of speakers for the money. But on your budget you will be looking at a second hand amp or drive then from you mixer with this - behringer a500 power amp. Second hand would be something like the audio lab 8000A.

KEF Q700 Floorstanding Speakers

Behringer A500 Reference Amplifier at Gear4music.com

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  13. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,109
    Ok my friend. Now you’re talking.

If you want some serious sh*t that will blow you away and last forever I’d suggest mugging a grandma for an extra 200 greenies and just buy this threesome.

Awesome.

Adam Audio A5X and Sub 8 Active Studio Monitor Bundle (2 x A5x & Sub 8) | eBay

Genuinely all you’ll ever need if you can make the (admittedly onerous) stretch.

And two hundred quid off at the mo’.

14. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,109
  15. Blueflash123

Blueflash123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  16. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,109
    The subwoofer is most certainly active.

I’m not sure how you think it might not be?

And the WXC-50 has a sub output.

So straightforward preouts from the Yamaha to the HS5s, and sub out from the yamaha to the Gemini.

17. BlueWizard

BlueWizard
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,239
    Even £800 is lean. But ... what are your expectations? How much space do you have? (room dimensions?) How will the system be used? How far away so you sit from the speakers?

How much space do you have to place the system? Are there restrictions on the size of components? Any details we should know that who limit our recommendations?

And specifically what equipment do you need? That is CD Player? Turntable? Network Player? Are you attached to Computer? Etc...?

Next to you want maximum quality or maximum Value? Yamaha are very high value amps, you get a lot of amp and a lot of features for a pretty fair amount of money.

Note real knowing the details, I will make a few general recommendations -

Amps/Receivers -

Yamaha AS501 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

Yamaha RN602 Networked Stereo Receiver - Superfi

Yamaha AS701 Amplifier with DAC - Superfi

Speakers -

Q Acoustics 3050 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Monitor Audio Bronze 5 Floorstanding Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Tannoy Mercury 7.4 Speakers - Superfi

Dali Zensor 5 Speakers (Pair) - Superfi

Wharfedale Diamond 230 Speakers Per Pair

DALI Spektor 6 Speakers Per Pair

That should serve as a starting framework.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  18. Blueflash123

Blueflash123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I really am loving the dali sensor 5 or the dali speakers pair including the audio bronze 5 as they sound warm and really good on the ears, I'm finding studio monitors are too flat for me by the sounds of them, would it be a good choice to buy either of them speakers with the rn602 yamaha?

19. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,109
    Keep in mind that what many people perceive as ‘warm’ is simply distorted bass.

20. Blueflash123

Blueflash123
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oh I don't doubt Its just from what I am looking at on youtube I "hear" that the Dali Speakers sound a lot better than Klipsch or other rivals just on youtube videos and of course that means nothing but I, unfortunately, don't have any other way to judge them xD I just think I should target Dali or Bronze 5's because I will be using them with my TV sometimes and I think studio monitors will just make things sound really bad at times especially on the TV where audio quality is not great.

21. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,109
    I’ve never found my actives to be a detriment to tv or film sound. Quite the opposite.

The extra clarity and clean power simply make films and tv programme dialogue easier to make out and action scenes much cleaner and more dynamic.

22. Paul7777x

Paul7777x

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,109
    Ps. If you do decide to go the passive route I’d suggest you go,second hand. Your £800 will get some fine stuff that way, say about £1600 worth. And that’s an appreciable step up from a budget set up. Serious stuff in fact.