Needed - surround sound from three speakers

captain69

I've seen the Denon S101/301 but these come with a DVD player. I just need speakers but can't seem to locate a set up that attempts 5.1 sound from a sub and two front speakers. Can anybody make any suggestions?

mhuk05

What you're looking for (I think) is 2.1 : 2 front speakers and a subwoofer. The sub doesn't have to be the same make as your speakers.

Do you have a 5.1 amp e.g. it has a subwoofer connection?

captain69

I've already got a set of speakers (Tannoys) which sound great consisting of a sub and two satellite fronts. What I'm looking for is a similar set up to the Denon s101/301 where Denon claim that they get 5:1 sound from 3 speakers, but they come with a DVD which I don't need. I'm aware of the Yamaha DSP gear but don't like the look of it.

Any suggestions?

Mr_Sukebe

I've already got a set of speakers (Tannoys) which sound great consisting of a sub and two satellite fronts. What I'm looking for is a similar set up to the Denon s101/301 where Denon claim that they get 5:1 sound from 3 speakers, but they come with a DVD which I don't need. I'm aware of the Yamaha DSP gear but don't like the look of it.

Any suggestions?
Yeah, don't bother.
You'll never get better than "pseudo surround". My thoughts would be be to either:
1. Do the surround sound job correctly, and get another bunch of speakers, or
2. Stick with a straight stereo system on the back end of you DVD player, which will probably have better sounding front channels than any equivalently priced mashed up AV kit.

Member 96948

Distinguished Member
...which will probably have better sounding front channels than any equivalently priced mashed up AV kit.
But will suffer from 3 to 6dB of Dolby Digital 5.1 to 2.1/2.0 downmix compression, limiting dynamic range AND will be missing the LFE altogether as this is NOT down mixed to the main front left & right speakers. Clarity won't be affected but drama will. This will be the result of running any AV setup without a center speaker and/or sub. For movies, it's stereo setups that do the 'mashing'.;)

For some, movies are as, if not more, important than music. But we agree that one rule holds true for both. Do it properly to suit whichever medium is your priority. There'll be less chance of disappointment.

Russell

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom