• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Needed: Reliable UHD / HDR player via USB

Valen

Prominent Member
Advice needed folks

I am using my Sony XE93 Android TV as my player for movies on my HDD but the Sony has a problem playing 5.1 audio via VLC or any other app. (Except the built in Video player, but that's not reliable)

Can anyone recommend a well priced (Not Shield TV money) media player for 4K / UHD playback from HDD?

Thanks loads

AG

mtenga

Distinguished Member
If you can compromise and plug the HD into a server like a PC or NAS then you get get away with a cheap Firestick/Kodi combination though there would be no atmos that way which probably isn't that important to you anyway if currently you plug into a TV. You could even use your current XBOX and Plex if the files are served to it.

If you have to plug directly into a player then the cheapest is probably from Minix at under 100, or a Vero at around 120. The Vero is a decent MKV player as long as you don't need 3D. Both use Kodi for file management and playback.

Valen

Prominent Member
My TV is connected via ARC into my amp, so HD audio would be nice. (Atmos not needed though)

Valen

Prominent Member
As mtenga said the vero 4k is a great player i use it with 2 hdd's connected

Vero 4K plus? Looks great actually, thanks folks!

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
ARC does not support HD Audio and many ‘older’ TV’s are limited to 2.0 on their HDMI Inputs - best to confirm what your TV supports.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom