Needed -Atmos Soundbar buying advice to avoid lip sync issues.

Richard H

Standard Member
I currently have an 8 year old 5.1.2 system with Yamaha receiver and Q acoustics 7000i speakers but am looking to replace this with a soundbar+rears+sub. I have a Sky Q box and watch the main channels in HD/UHD ,Netflix and Amazon. (Mainly drama,films,sport) My TV is a 2020 Samsung UE32N5300AK(eArc) I also use the system for music, (mostly Spotify) but this is secondary. Seating position is approx 4 metres from the screen in a room 8x4 metres.

I am looking to try to match sound quality and earn domestic brownie points by reducing the number of wires about the place. Dolby Atmos is a box I want to tick My hearing isn't as good as it was and improving speech clarity is high on my list. (Sub titles are great but they don't half ruin comic timing!). I'm not deaf enough yet to throw sound quality out of the window. I do like a bit of volume and a big sound though.

I was 90% settled on a Sonos Arc plus 2x OneSL rears with a sub. The sound quality seemed ok and the aesthetics ticked the boxes. I was stopped in my tracks when I read about lip syncing issues though with the Arc especially with the Q box although I don't know if these are unusual or the norm. I am reluctant to spend £2k on kit that might just annoy me. I am not technical and whilst I'm happy to spend a bit of time making initial adjustments I have no wish to be forever changing settings and twiddling knobs. Ease of use is high on the list of priorities, as is reliability. I like to do a bit of research but by the standards of folk on here I am a novice.

Realistically, I'm stuck with Sky Q and the TV isn't a year old yet.

I am amazed that in 2022 we are having to worry about big name brand kit not working together for anyone without an engineering degree and a problem solving mindset!

A couple of questions for those in the know:

1) Am I actually asking for trouble with the Arc and lip syncing issues? Does anyone know if I'm worrying unnecessarily?

2) What other Soundbar would better suit my criteria as outlined above. (I did look at the Samsung 950A but the sub and the surround look like they were designed 40 years ago but I suppose it should work with the TV?)

I hope I've supplied the relevant information and would be really grateful to anyone who can help with some information and/or recommendations. Many thanks for your help!

mps

Some pointers below,

1) Am I actually asking for trouble with the Arc and lip syncing issues? Does anyone know if I'm worrying unnecessarily?

Connect sky Q box to Arc/E arc and no lip sync issues

You may encounter lip sync issues with onboard apps on TV but easily controlled by audio adjust on Tv settings.

2) What other Sound bar would better suit my criteria as outlined above. (I did look at the Samsung 950A but the sub and the surround look like they were designed 40 years ago but I suppose it should work with the TV?)

Your choice what ever you go as most cater Arc support.

Hope this helps.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
improving speech clarity is high on my list’ adding ‘nice to have’ overhead and surround channels will not help improve speech.

Have you tried/considered running your current system in a 2.0/2.1 configuration or 2.0/2.1 with better quality Front LR loudspeakers or simply upgrade your current Loudspakers?

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom