Needed a PATA IDE bought a SATA 2

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by jagdeepp, Jan 16, 2008.

1. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    As per title.. OUCH. I finally know the difference between a pata and sata. Received a 500gb hdd (Samsung) from Scan. Realised when looking at it that it wont fit the pc i wanted it for. Have found a few convertors online but dont know if that will do the trick. Any solutions? THe convertors all seem to be PATA to SATA. Does it not work in reverse?

Just need to know whether i need to now send this back and ask for an IDE drive instead. Any and all help appreciated please.. my original hard drive is making a clicking noise and the pc freezes..

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,148
    A PCI SATA card should do the trick.

That's why it's always best to open the PC before hand if you're not sure which part to get! :laugh:

3. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
  4. AnthonyG

AnthonyG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,187
    Another problem you will have is that unless you have a newer PSU or a separate bought premium PSU it likely will not have the SATA power connectors on it. (if you notice the Power connector on the back of the drive is different than that of IDE drives).

You may be lucky if you bought a Western Digital as I believe they offer the ability to have it powered either by a standard SATA power connector or the older IDE power connector type. You may be able to find an adapter for the PSU to adapt a PATA power connector to the newer SATA type but it is just adding more cost to your problems.

The other thing to consider is that if you do find the correct PATA to SATA adapter backplate this also needs to be powered by a floppy power cable from your PSU. So if you don't have one of these connectors spare you will be in problem there too.

My personal advice would be to either buy an external enclosure and use it as an external USB/Firewire storage hard drive. Or send it back for the correct IDE drive.

5. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    ouch.. valid point. My PSU doesnt have the relevant connector. I guess i am stuffed :eek: As you say, i may be better placed using the 6-7 quid i'd spend on a sata card on postage to send this back, pay a little more and get an ide hdd in place. If anyone can think of any other solutions i'd be grateful.

6. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    how's about this option?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Port-Expans..._bxgy_ce_text_b?ie=UTF8&qid=1200557147&sr=1-4

the power cable only works out a PENNY on top. I think thats the data cable and the power cable convertor if i'm correct. I cant seem to tell though if thats a female connector for the ide since the male would then connect into this??

Looking to order this asap if its the correct one. Can anyone please confirm?....

7. jagdeepp

jagdeepp
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +551
    anyone Please????

8. Taylorg

Taylorg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Why not send it back and get them to send you the right drive.