1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need your opinion on PIONEER 505XDE before going ahead with my purchase?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Mahdi, Dec 4, 2004.

1. Mahdi

Mahdi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello People

After some looking around I have decided to go for the Pioneer 505XDE and thought what people think of this Plasma.

The sales Man said this is the best LCD in the market at the moment, do you feel this is true?

Also what is the quality of this when watch Footie?

He said he will do a deal of £4876.00 including the Wall Bracket and 2Yrs On Site Warranty.

Over all do you feel this is a good option to go for?

:lease: post your messages specially from people who own this beauty as I am looking to buy it in the next few days.

Thanks

2. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Spot the Salesman mistake competition anyone?

3. carlton

carlton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hmm tough one, could it be the salesman was taking lsd.

Seriously the fact that mahdi posted in the plasma section i would hope means mahdi knows more then the salesman does.

4. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Ahhh, good ol' salesman, can you imagine the price tag of a 50" LCD!

5. duvl

duvl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
  6. Mahdi

Mahdi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have no idea what you mean, is that suppose to be funny? I would appreciate some honest opinion rather than sarcasm

7. Leigh_1973

Leigh_1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    ark at her!!!

He was referring to the fact that its a PLASMA screen not an lcd one as you typed :suicide:

8. Mahdi

Mahdi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

Sorry that was my Mistke with the LCD :oops: , I meant Plasma :blush: . So now back to the main topic, Should I go for this or not?

Is the price he is suggesting to steep?
    Is what he is saying true?
    What are the cons and positive points to this?

:lease: help as I need to buy one in the next 5 days.

Thanks

9. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That is a great plasma, if you can afford it, go for it!

10. Mahdi

Mahdi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any one else with any suggestion?

11. jwramsay

jwramsay

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Yeah, great LCD as the man says :devil:

12. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Mahdi,

What sources do you plan to connect to the screen ?

Do you really need the added features of the XDE such as the tuners, speakers etc ?

If you already have Sky, Freeview or Cable and plan to use a proper surround sound setup - as befits a 50" plasma - then perhaps you should look into the Pioneer 50MXE-1 as an alternative as it's has the same basic panel as the XDE but without the media box...which to some people is a distinct advantage...but does require more thought and initial setting up.

You could then team this with an external scaler such as the Lumagen HDP to which you could connect all/most of your sources which should result in a much better image than the XDE and might even cost a bit less too.

The 50MXE-1 on it's own is around £3500 and the Lumagen ranges from £815 for the basic model to £1260 for the HDP and right up to £2000 for the top of the range ProHDP.

I was watching the Rugby today on BBC1 and the image was terrific...so I guess footy would look the same - but I'm not a footy fan.

Anyway...it's another option to think about.

If you still want to stick with the 505XDE then AV sales (www.av-sales.co.uk) can do you the same package for £4,571.75 that's with the TV, wall mount and 2yr warranty or £4766.36 with the speakers both including delivery and they have a very good reputation and are very knowledgable.

Cheers, Lee

13. Mahdi

Mahdi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Chris,

I will be connecting The SKY + and my DVD Player/Amplifier. Also a 5.1 Surrond Sound Speaker system.

If I was to go for the 50MXE-1 on it's own and add Lumagen would it make the picture quality better? If it is just slightly cheaper I rather have the 505XDE because of the connection and flexability. If the image is different then that is a different story.

:lease: Give me your thought on this?

Also is this model one of the best ones around at th moment?

14. Lizzard

Lizzard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't recall MXE-1 supporting HDCP?

505XDE got HDMI and supports HDCP as well, HDCP is part of the HDMI specification anyway so.....

15. Mahdi

Mahdi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does that mean I should avoid the 50MXE-1 as this seems to be a level below the 505XDE?

16. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Your right in that the MXE-1 does not currently support HDCP on it's DVI input...this is not an issue for me as I am using my Lumagen scaler with an SDI modded DVD player which by-passes any encryption.

With the MXE-1 you can add third-party boards that will in the future support HDMI and therefore HDCP.

I would never buy another plasma TV again as the media box is just a damn hindrance in getting every last bit of performance from the display plus the XDE’s implementation of the HDMI interface is far from perfect.

An MXE-1 used with a properly configured Lumagen will produce a far superior image to that of an XDE.

If it were my money I’d be looking at the Panny PHD7 and the MXE-1 along with the Fujitsu’s but I’d steer well clear of models with media boxes…I guess it depends if you just want a large TV or if you want it to form part of a larger HC set up.

Cheers, Lee

17. Tantalus

Tantalus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Well of course it will. That's hardly a fair comparison. If you had added "for similar money" then yes that's true. But an XDE with a Lumagen is not far off. Unfortunately for me, I needed a family friendly TV and some of the features of the XDE. I hear that if you watch lots of fast moving stuff an MXE can be tweaked better - but for normal films there isn't a lot in it (apart from 800 quid!)

18. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    An XDE will not work as well with the Lumagen as it can only operate at 720p meaning that the panel will still have to scale the incomming image to 1024x768 or 1280x768 depending on which model XDE...with the MXE you can sent it it's native resolution at both 50Hz and 60Hz over DVI without any frame rate conversion worries too...the biggest hurdle to overcome with the XDE is it's lack of HDCP support which for some is important.

I hear what your saying...the XDE does have it's own advantages...I was just pointing out that for similar money you can get another solution which might work out better depending on it's planned usage.

Cheers, Lee

19. Tantalus

Tantalus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Can anyone clarify (Joe, Gordon?) if the XDE has HDCP support? I was led to believe that simply, the MXE1 is simply more 'tweakable'?!

20. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    The XDE has a HDMI input which is HDCP compliant.

Cheers, Lee

21. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    I thought even my 504HDE was HDCP compliant through its HDMI port so I see no reason why the newer XDE model wouldnt be. With Sky's ecent announcement Im kind of glad I went for the Pioneer - having a proper TV rather than a panel was key. I didnt want to add expensive boards, scalers etc to extract the last ounce of perfomance.

How much does a HDCP compliant HDMI board cost for the MXE1 and is it out yet ? What about for the Panasoinic Viera, PW6 and PW7 ? Im assuming Sky HD will work on them but at a cost.

22. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Of course the XDE has HDCP, but it has only video resolutions on digital, and the digital input is the only one worth bothering with on this screen. Compared to it, the scarts are a shabby sight. This is not due to any intrinsic lack in analogue video, just lack of quality specifically in the media box IMHO. Therefore, if you can afford a HDMI switching amp, it's a good screen, if you can't, then go for the MXE and a scaler, cost will be very similar, therfore a perfectly valid comparison. People just want the xde to be good cos it's so damn good looking on the wall. I'm firmly with Lee on this. On a 50" you really need to be able to get your hand up it's dress, and the media box/plasma TV types all have cast iron knickers on, excuse the analagy!

23. cucuz

cucuz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I think that Joe at TMF said that The Aurora tvp500f twin HDMI card would be £550 + VAT when it lands .

24. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    That will be another £650 notes then (when it comes out). Has one for the PW6/7 come out yet ?

25. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    7 series only, it's due anytime now. DVI HDCP already here, but has issues with 50Hz material.

26. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    So the 6 series HD panels wont be able to display SKY HD ?

27. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    And if that is the case I wouldnt even consider buying any HD plasma that isnt HDCP compliant via HDMI out of the box or at least has add on cards available now to make it so (future promises as we have seen fom Panasonic are meaningless). Not being able to play HD TV would make it any plasma a pointless short term buy.

28. Mahdi

Mahdi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can see people are giving different options and views on the XDE and MXE. I must say the XDE is so damn sexy in terms of Looks. Will this be future Proof?

Also will this be compatiable with SKY+ HD?
    Also if we where to put the XDE with its own box next to the MXE with an Scaler will there be a huge difference as there would be in the looks? or is the quality by far less notiable unlike the actual screen looks?

29. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
  30. Mahdi

Mahdi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So if I was to go for the 50" XDE Pioneer, will this be future proof and have my back covered from all corners?