Need your help with my new projector

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by ManuB, Sep 5, 2007.

1. ManuB

ManuB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

I just received a Hitachi PJTX-300 from my wife yesterday :thumbsup:

I'm projecting a 2M wide image from +/- 4M distance on a white painted flat wall.

As Input device I used my PS3 over HDMI with some Blu-Ray, upscaled DVD's and PS3 games.

I waited untill it was dark enough in the room to start calibrating but I can't get the image right, everything seems flat, no depth and the colors are pulling to the yellow-brown :confused:

Ok, I can imagine that the image won't be the same as on my plasma but what I saw yesterday was below all levels.

What can I do to improve the image?

- Paint the wall with special paint?
    - Install a projection screen?
    - .... ?????

:lease::lease::lease:

Thanks for your help

2. dalar

dalar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    Projection screen is a must!

Dont be fooled by the wall just because it seems to work ok - the purpose of the screen is to capture that light and throw it back into your eyes so you can get vivid images with crisp clarity --- the wall will be absorbing that and calibrating colour is just a waste of time on a white wall.

http://www.projectorscreen.co.uk/ is a good stop of if your on a budget .... they are not the best screens out there but they will certainly be far better than a plain wall.

If you can... get a screen with a black border.... you will be suprised how this effects the image, it actually helps improve the contrast by seeing the frame (box model).

Also, you are playing in low light right? even some of the most expensive projectors will look lifeless if there is too much ambient light.....thats just how it is with projector technology!

Note: Just looked up your projector, its a decent model, so it should really be good, what display modes are there? VIVID, CINEMA? etc?

3. ManuB

ManuB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi,

Thanks for the info :thumbsup:

There are several modes on the projector: Normal - cinema slow - cinema fast - sports - music
    And also 2 levels of black control Normal - Black1 and Black2

There is also an option to play with the double Iris.

Loads and loads of features and settings :D

What do you think about wall painting, like Screen Goo, is that comparable with a screen?

4. dalar

dalar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +62
    I was gonna paint the wall myself using the special goo paint... but in the end I just felt it wasn't right to make a permanent mark on the wall, so I went for fixed frame, it looks soo classy now and Im happy that walls haven't been permantley painted on.

Having said that, there are many people who choose to paint their walls and get good results, obviously there is NO contest between a painted wall vs screen :suicide: but all depends on your budget.

Projector X paint is supposed to be good but at £90 a tub, I just decided to get a screen instead for double the price :thumbsup:

Double Iris - well the sanyo calls it dual iris so Im guessing its the same thing, try enabling it, it makes adjustments to the lens depending on how bright the scene is at that given moment in time, this produced darker blacks to give you good shadow detail. I think for some Projectors are noisy when they do this (the Z5 isnt :D) and they normally choose to turn it off.

5. ManuB

ManuB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I've painted the wall with some 2 component "Home Cinema Paint" from the local DIY shop and it looks awesome now :clap:

When the room is dark enough I get results close to those of my Plasma.

Next weekend I might add another layer of the second component "Reflector" to give it a better gain.

The PJ has been mounted to the ceiling also and connected to the swith with a 15M Bandridge Profigold HDMI cable.

Everything is just awesome now :clap::clap::clap:

6. EEC3

EEC3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
    Can you give me a little bit more info about the paint please? How much, where from etc

thanks

7. ManuB

ManuB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  8. EEC3

EEC3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +927
  9. ManuB

ManuB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Forget to find anything here in Belgium, either you drive 40min to France either you order online from the UK, USA or Germany.