1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need your expert opinion

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by souldigital, Oct 20, 2004.

1. souldigital

souldigital
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

First let me say how new i am to the world of projectors (and this forum).

i would really appreciate your advice on the price of a sony vpl vw10ht i have bought (yet to recieve) it was £900 and has 250 hours on the bulb and the guy claims there are no dead pixels.

does that sound a reasonable price provided he is a man of his word? ( i hate getting ripped off)

My plan is to get it, run it until the bulb blows, and then (hopefully) by then i will have enough for a new hs50

I would really really like to hear from you if you think this is ok/dodgy

thank you very much

2. benji_m

benji_m

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If it's all as he says then that's an OK deal.

Bear in mind it is possible, as with used cars, to 'clock' a PJ!

Look for signs of use, dust clogging filters etc

3. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Well it was pretty much state of the art for domestic LCD projectors a few years back, but like for like prices have dropped quite a bit since then.

Have you seen it in action?
    The proof is always in the pudding though, so only you can decide on that front..

The lamp does only lasts 1000hrs though, and the contrast won't be up there with today's best LCD PJs.

IMO, it could be a reasonable buy if everything is ship shape with it, but whether it's actually a bargain or not.......!

BTW - I doubt there is such a thing as an "expert" opinion on something like this - the secondhand value of consumer electronics kit is very hard to guage.
    All you can do really is compare it against what else £900 will buy you today -and take into consideration that this PJ is probably around 4 years old, and probably has no warranty. If you have no problems fine, but if you do, it could end up an expensive lemon, as I'd not be surprised if repairs on this were.....well a bit steep!

4. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Seems a bit expensive to me as they are nearly 5 years old now :eek: and in this game things move pretty quick.

Lots of info on this site for you to read up on before it turns up though :smashin:

http://www.thebigpicturedvd.com/vw10ht_faq.shtml

Cheers, Lee

5. souldigital

souldigital
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    cheers guys for your feedback

i bought the projector on ebay but I am paying with escrow so i have three days to inspect to see if it as described.

if it is as described (seems a decent enough chap) and i will mainly be using it for videogames and the odd dvd does this make it seem a slightly better option (due to the inputs etc)

also i gather i can get roughly 2000hrs out of it if i use cinema black mode, i have total darkroom (well near enough) so maybe it would be ok

(i am also thinking of using a filter (is that wise) to further improve the blacks)

I very much appreciate all your opinions on the matter and thank you very much to all those that already posted a response

Thanks

6. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I hope that was a service you selected rather than one he suggested .. or if it was his idea that you verified it, escrow is a very common way for people to be scammed on e-Bay.

7. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Echo what Kragorn said ^...... don't wish to be scary but........ :rolleyes:

S.

8. Kramer

Kramer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    10HT for £500 on Ebay here .

Echo the concerns about using Escrow - absolutely no comeback if it's a scam :eek: .

Be careful out there.

:smoke:

9. Drew C

Drew C
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    You could get a brand new panny 500 or a sanyo z2 for under £1000. :smoke:

10. souldigital

souldigital
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys

Cheers for your concern about me being scammed, but i recommended we use escrow and i went for the legitimate site(did my research on escrow.com) (did my checks too )

i know there is the same projector for £500 on ebay but it has something wrong with it (purple marks in the screen) plus i dont think it will be as secure as this guy

the z2 isnt xga (i think) so i thinks the 10ht may be better for games etc

does that sound any better??