Need your expert guidance: Rotel A12MKII and good speaker pair

No. It’s a bit odd. They seem to have cut the hole in the plates that hold the gel core — and where the speakers mount to the stand — too big for the screw/anchor that goes into the speaker.

So when you place the speaker into the stand, there is a bit of wiggle.
Oh, now I see. I'm happy that it's fixed now. Have the stands improved/changed the sound? How do you feel about that?

Oh, now I see. I'm happy that it's fixed now. Have the stands improved/changed the sound? How do you feel about that?
I approached the stands with a critical eye. The reviews seemed histrionic and doused with a bit of hagiography, but I heard an immediate difference. I'm not really sure how that is possible, and I'm not quite sure if this is the right phrasing, but everything sounded cleaner. The stands almost added an element that the Monitor Audio speakers had without causing a headache.

Instrumental music, for example, individual sections or soloists just shine a bit more. Hard to explain, but it really is noticeable.

Now I need to jump into acoustic treatment! I only want it to get better!

When, in a couple of years, I purchase a pair of Concept 30s — almost certain to do as a big QA fan - I will definitely place them on these stands.

When, in a couple of years, I purchase a pair of Concept 30s — almost certain to do as a big QA fan - I will definitely place them on these stands.
Ahh, so the concept 30s work with these stands as well? Certainly makes sense, just isn't clear anywhere in the QA materials.

I approached the stands with a critical eye. The reviews seemed histrionic and doused with a bit of hagiography, but I heard an immediate difference. I'm not really sure how that is possible, and I'm not quite sure if this is the right phrasing, but everything sounded cleaner. The stands almost added an element that the Monitor Audio speakers had without causing a headache.

Instrumental music, for example, individual sections or soloists just shine a bit more. Hard to explain, but it really is noticeable.

Now I need to jump into acoustic treatment! I only want it to get better!
Glad to hear that. Stable, inert stands really help the speakers to shine. They greatly reduce the cabinet resonances compared to something flimsy. I think "Cleaner sound" is the most popular term for this difference. Good job!

Ahh, so the concept 30s work with these stands as well? Certainly makes sense, just isn't clear anywhere in the QA materials.
Well, I’ve never seen it stated specifically but I did read a review some years ago that they would do no harm to the sound of any standmount that fits them. They will certainly remove most transmitted resonance and as for the Tensegrity stands that Q A recommend, they would take up too much space in our room and they remind me too much of these from War of the worlds.

Attachments

• 394EA452-9C2F-4F0C-AD22-488FDBBEBF2C.jpeg
    394EA452-9C2F-4F0C-AD22-488FDBBEBF2C.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 34
Well, I’ve never seen it stated specifically but I did read a review some years ago that they would do no harm to the sound of any standmount that fits them. They will certainly remove most transmitted resonance and as for the Tensegrity stands that Q A recommend, they would take up too much space in our room and they remind me too much of these from War of the worlds.
They absolutely look like those things; thought the same thing when I first saw them.

I've really been digging the stands and it has finally given me a reason to organize the cables and get everything neat around our listening area. I'll take some pics later.

They absolutely look like those things; thought the same thing when I first saw them.

I've really been digging the stands and it has finally given me a reason to organize the cables and get everything neat around our listening area. I'll take some pics later.
Tidying up your cables is one of the best things you can do. Try to avoid different types of cables (eg. speaker/power) running parallel. If cables need to cross each other, try to maintain 90 degrees between them. That minimises the crosstalk between them.

Tidying up your cables is one of the best things you can do. Try to avoid different types of cables (eg. speaker/power) running parallel. If cables need to cross each other, try to maintain 90 degrees between them. That minimises the crosstalk between them.
That is really helpful! Thanks.

I'm trying to tidy up for my wife and got a little box for the furman surge protector, she was like, "what the hell is this? this just draws more attention to it."

Not only was she right, it was funny.

That is really helpful! Thanks.

I'm trying to tidy up for my wife and got a little box for the furman surge protector, she was like, "what the hell is this? this just draws more attention to it."

Not only was she right, it was funny.
Having surge protection is always a good thing to have. Better safe than sorry.

About the Concept 20 stands, it seems to me that they are not adjustable. You have a bit of movement on the spikes, but it's for stability reasons, not for height adjustment.

Having surge protection is always a good thing to have. Better safe than sorry.

About the Concept 20 stands, it seems to me that they are not adjustable. You have a bit of movement on the spikes, but it's for stability reasons, not for height adjustment.
Yep, that seems to be the case.

Going to get a level and see if I can find a better spot on the floor. Otherwise, might see what seemingly always serviceable blue tac can do.

Anyone know if the height of the Concept 20 stands is adjustable?
No definitely not. Up? A nice paving slab underneath subject to WAF of course. …
Down? Remove spikes and use blu-tac? Might give you up to an inch.

No definitely not. Up? A nice paving slab underneath subject to WAF of course. …
Down? Remove spikes and use blu-tac? Might give you up to an inch.
A piece of plywood might be more acceptable in this case... Also, I prefer wood to stone and concrete in this situation. It sounds nicer.

Does anyone happen to know if you can remove the spikes on the concept 20 stands?

They come with rubber feet to put over the spikes, but it seems like they would stand on much more solid ground if the spikes could be removed.

Does anyone happen to know if you can remove the spikes on the concept 20 stands?

They come with rubber feet to put over the spikes, but it seems like they would stand on much more solid ground if the spikes could be removed.
What do you mean more stable? Are they unstable while on spikes?

The whole idea of spikes is to isolate some vibrations from the floor. Using something with a wider contact surface will be worse.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom