Need your advice on speakers, placement, and how it looks

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jared Delaney, Feb 2, 2014.

1. Jared Delaney

Jared Delaney
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello community! First timer here, and somewhat of a novice. I know some stuff, but you all know more. I hope I am posting in the correct area for this. I have decided to upgrade my left, right, and center speakers. I have a few questions/thoughts you may be able to help me with.

1. I have used these small Velodyne bookshelfs for many years. If I move up to floorstanding speakers, I should be able to tell a difference, right? I have the receiver to push floorstanding speakers quite nice. Any thoughts on sound improvement? Bigger soundstage?

I am on a budget. I don't need the expensive stuff to be happy. I am currently looking at this Polk and this Pioneer as options, and would get the center to match them. I hear great things about both of them, for the price point.

2. Take a look at my setup. I have room on the left and the right for floorstanding speakers, but please tell me.....would it look like crap and out of place in general? The one on the right will hide in the corner next to the sub while the one on the left would just be hanging out (not as bad for the Pioneer though). Also, the Polk (43 inches tall and 15 inches deep) models would come just under the 3rd shelf and the Pioneers (35 inches tall and 11 inches deep) would come to about a 1/3 of the way up from the 2nd shelf. The Pioneers are a better size as they are 5 inches less in depth ad would not stick out as far, and perhaps both will provide similar sound? Surely the Pioneer having 1 less speaker would not matter that much.

Polk: Has 5 speakers, is tall, is 15 inches deep
    Pioneer: Has 4 speakers, is not as tall, and is only 11 inches deep

Any thoughts on this from an aesthetic standpoint? Btw, I don't have a WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) to deal with haha....it is just me.

3. Is it okay to cram in the speaker and the sub in that corner? It is really the only way it will fit haha. The sub would be next to the entertainment area, straight facing, and the speaker would be next to it.

Any thoughts would be great and any other suggestions I have not mentioned are absolutely welcomed. Feel free to call me out if my logic on considering floors over bookshelfs is wrong. Thank you all and I look forward to any advice from you all.

Jared

500x700px-LL-b2296e21_155025_499968326868_8317889_n.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. gingerone

gingerone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +406
    I'm assuming you have the 8" sub that comes with that package?
    Given that it would look a little strange to have floorstanders with that book shelf have you considered putting the money into a bigger better sub instead?
    This would give you a much bigger soundstage and a more cinematic feeling.

3. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,439
    Floorstanders will give an improvement in stereo mode but not sue you are going to gain much, if anything, for multi channel listening especially since you have a sub to deal with the low stuff.
    Given the placement of your current speakers you are not getting anywhere near the best from them since they are not going to sound great in the shelves like that.
    The floorstanders you are looking at appear to be a similar quality level to your current speakers. Since you do not need the extended lower frequency response of a floorstander since you have a sub I am not sure you are really going to gain anything by the change. Also a floorstander can sound boomy in a corner of a room which could cause you other sound issues. You do not appear to have a big budget and spread that over the large number of drivers in the speakers you are looking at that means it is not much per unit. This is not going to give great quality. You would be better spending the same money on a better pair of standmounts with fewer drivers but better quality and then getting some stands to put them on (or even buying stands for your current speakers to get them sounding at their best. The general advice with an AVR is to set all speakers to small with an 80Hz crossover setting which will mean floorstanders with low bass extension are really not needed. I would save up for longer until you can afford a proper speaker upgrade with a better level of speaker.
    As always the advice would be to go listen to a few options and let your own ears decide.

4. smasher50

smasher50

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    +1 ^^^^ I totally agree. your speaker placement will dictate how big of a soundstage and clarity of sound.do not want to place speakers into corners.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014