1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need your advice guys. Can you help?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Matthew Attoe, Dec 10, 2001.

1. Matthew Attoe

Matthew Attoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi guys,

I currently have a 3 1/2 year old Pioneer 505 dvd player which i have connected via s-video to a toshiba 32" widey.

I have always been pretty happy with the set-up, but i think it is now time to upgrade my player, and I really like the look of the new Sony NS900. I'm aware of the problems that the player seems to have, so i',m gooing to wait a couple of months.

My question is, how much improvement will I see in picture quality now that dvd technology has been advancing for the last 3 or 4 years?

If it helps, you could rate what you think on a scale of 1 (no difference) to 10 (all the difference in the world).

Hope you can spend a few minutes and give me your opinion.

btw, if you have a 900 perhaps you could let me know what you think of it in general (switching problems aside).

Thanks,

Matthew

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,975
    The Pioneer 505 was an excellent player for its time, and was easily modified to make it fully multiregion (by manual selection always - which is the safest way of ensuring compatibility with whatever regional coding schemes the studios may conjure up).

It's only (very minor) shortcomings were the lip-synch issue which was common to all Pioneers of the time, and its inability to play CDRs, which remains true of many new players (though not Pioneers).

Unless you have a specific reason to change it (ie it's beginning to misbehave, or you don't have, and would prefer automatic region switching, or you require a component output, or want to play CDRs etc etc), I doubt that you will gain very much - subjectively - without quite a large budget.

3. laurie

laurie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mat

Totally agree with Nigel I to have the 505 but went out and got an Denon 2800 to match the inputs of my 10ht as the 505 did not have component outputs but s-video wise they are just about equal but since the 505 was my first dvd player and I had NO lip sync problem because of my fimware its worth more to me to keep it alive as Nigel said it the studios get nasty this player is the best that will cope...

regards Laurie