1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need you help connnecting my PC 2 my xbox FTP

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by jamieuk23, Dec 8, 2004.

1. jamieuk23

jamieuk23
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Hi !!>> I havent used my xbox in about 7 months, but decided to try and set it all backup again as there seems to be loads of decent games on the market >> snooker 2004 > I no I am sad !

(!)Any way as far I can remember in the past I used a long 2 way cable which 1 end plugged in 2 the back of my xbox ethernet port and the other end in 2 a PCI card slot I have on my PC. sorry I dont no wot it is called >> I am guessing a cross over cable ?

Well over the last months I have started to use a router as my main internet connection, so I am wondering If I am now forced to make my connection with my xbox threw my router ?.

I cant tell you much about my router as there doesnt seem to much info on it any were on the web, all I no it has around 5 or 6 ports in the back of it.

I have just tried to hook my xbox up to my PC using the cross over cable method mentioned above > (!) and I am getting some kind of error with the connection.

"status" > limited or no connectivity.

I am guessing again this is proberly caused due to a conflict with my router ??

any way wot advice can you give me so I will be able to connect to my xbox like the good old days ??

do I have to go threw my router ??? just that I havent got a clue on how to forward ports etc

thanks for help guys !!!

2. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +530
    I have a Netgear DG814 modem/router, with port 1 connected to the PC network card, and port 2 connected to the Xbox network port. Connect your cables in a similar way, turn on PC abd Xbox, go into Windows Explorer, My Network Places, then Map Network Drive. Select 'Sign up for online storage or connect to a network server.', then press Next. Double click 'Choose another network location', type in 'ftp://xbox:xbox@192.168.0.3/', where the first 'xbox' is the name of your xbox on the network, and the second is your password, this the standard setup if using Evox. You can get your IP address from the main Evox page when starting up your Xbox. Type in a name for the connection, you now have your Xbox explorable. Hope this helps, I probably missed something! :thumbsup:

3. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    That error message means that the xbox is not receiving an ip address. You previously had it set on static mode, now you have a router it will be dynamic because of the DHCP on the router.

The solution is to ensure

1) the network cables are no longer crossover cables - crossover cables are only needed when directly connecting two network devices - if it goes via a router then normal cables are needed (some routers can cope with both so firstly try the next steps before buying a new cable)
    2) that DHCP is turned ON on the router
    3) the xbox is set to dynamic ip address mode (in the settings - youll find it im sure)
    4) the pc is set to dynamically receive an ip address from the network (obtain IP address automatically). The pc should also have some network protocols installed for full functionality (Namely TCP/IP and IPX) - they are protocols that you can add to a specific connection in the 'network places/connections' screen.

Hope this is not too confusing