Need urgent Plasma advice,pleeease!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Tim Ashdown, Mar 4, 2002.

1. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi guys.

At present I've got a panny 36pf10 and have been watching the plasma market very closely. I know a few people have recently asked what one to go for, so sorry for being a pain. Dvdviewer recently had a thread (Plasma choice) and there was a lot of great information in it from Joe Fernand and others so I prey you are all listening. My problem is this.
    My first choice is the Panasonic 42PW4 (Yes I do want the tuner and silver finish) but this afternoon I will be offered a 42" plasma for around £2000 - £2500. 99% sure it will be a fujitsu which would probably be second or third on my list. There are quite a few different models from Fujitsu and I know they differ greatly. The money isn't a lot for a plasma but if its not good then whats the point. Has anyone experience of these and what ones to avoid/look out for (example PDS4213, great PDS4214, no). Its very important that its Pal/Ntsc progressive capable and would like to have a tuner + speakers. (don't know about stands or accessories for the Fujitsu's either and these probably won't be included). I have sky digital (about to upgrade to sky plus) so will I need RGB to S-Video converters. At present I use a pioneer 717 dvd, but intend to purchase the Denon DVD-A1 which will hopefully be able to do PAL progressive (like the 2800). The other issue is the amount of time I have. I've been offered £1400 for my PF10. No the person is not silly and is aware of the cost they are available for now, or even the newer PL30. The condition is that he has to have it in his home by Wednesday mid-day. Its now MONDAY! I may not be able to demo the Fujitsu (I know thats crazy) but have been assured there are no screen burns. all I know so far is the origin. It was used at a recent entertainment event. (Bristol, a coincidence). A 50 incher may also be available but that is 50/50.
    In an ideal world I would be able to tell you the model and have more time, but these things are never straight forward are they.
    Lastly I've been patient enough, so if this fulls through or is a rubbish model. Wheres the cheapest I can get a panny 42pw4 in silver with tuner (The Denon DVD-A1 will have to wait a few more months). I'm pleading for some assistance, so thanks in advance.

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    Tim,

I have seen Fujitsu's look good and bad...even the same model, installed in two seperate rooms in an install I visited, were different (by miles!). I also believe that it's not so easy to get in to service menu's to fix innaccurate greyscale, but I have not been able to confirm this yet.

£2500 is alot of money to spend on the thing if it turns out to be crap. Can you get a money back guarantee if you are buying unseen?

I know you say you want a TV Tuner but why don't you just buy a cheapy Video and use it as the tuner for the thing? Save a few quid that way. Plug prog DVD in to BNC (component socket). Get one of John Sims RGBtoVGA convertors to feed RGB to Plasma through PC input for SkyPlus and then send video 1 and VIDEO TUNER through your amp as composite......That's how I'd do the Panny and I'd expect Fujitsu would be similar too.

Gordon

3. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks Gordon, I was hoping to grab your attention with the post. I've been out about this afternoon talking to my local dealer. I'm awaiting a phone call at about 5.00 to confirm the model (now 100% its a Fujitsu). Have been giving some thought to the tuner and probably don't need it. I have a Denon A1SE and was going to upgrade it, but my friendly dealer has kindly said he will do me an excellent part-ex on the A1SR when it arrives (my A1SE will probably be bought cheap my him or his staff. He bought my A1D). You probably know that the A1SR includes video upsampling, so I could just run Component cables to the plasma and put everything through the amp. I can get a money back guarantee as its my cousins work colleague. But I have to work quick as my cousin got first refusal. I wouldn't just buy this because its cheap (although £2500 is a lot of money in my books) so if its crap do you know where I can buy a Panasonic (silver bezel) for a good price. I understand it can be had for around £4000-£4500 so I may just bite the bullet. I'll post the model as soon as I find out so hopefully I can get some more info. Is the Panny compatible with PAL progressive and this may seem like a stupid question but if I didn't buy the tuner with it but bought the optional speakers would they still work for say Sky and DVD. Gordon if you couldn't get the Panasonic what plasma would you buy. Greatful for your help mate.

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,255
    Tim

Calm down here - you could pick up a second hand ex Home Cinema Panasonic TH-42PWD4EX for near £2500; and you would know its not been used commercially - I hate to think how many 'only used on one event' screens I have come across over the years.

It must have been a great event if the production company can afford to loose £1 - £1.5K on the plasma display.

Fujitsu produce a vast array of screens so no way of telling if it's suitable for Home Cinema or not unless you have that model number.

Add on slim line speakers - save your cash for a real sound system.

Add on Tuner - Gordon's set you right on that one; use the money on better source kit and a converter and cables.

Take your time - if the ex hire Fujitsu seller had a long cue of buyers they would have sold it by now - also bear in mind a new Panasonic TH-42PWD4EX is only just over £4k with a warranty.

Regards

Joe

PS Are you sure the Fujitsu price includes VAT.

5. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,059
    Tim,

If I was buying a 42" plasma it would be a Panasonic D3 or D4. They are grey though......in colour that is.

The Denon amp has the ability to change composite or s-video to component, I know. However, this becomes RGB at some point in the plasma. You may well find that the electronics in the plasma is better at doing this transcoding than that in the amplifier. I'd always try and send highest quality out the sources in the first place so don't down convert Sky to s-video or composite for the amp to tryand get it back to component so that plasma can then make it RGB..........

Good luck in your endevour. I think that Joe may well be one of the cheapest suppliers to end users of the D4. Our trade suppliers won't sell to end users. We won't get close to Joe's price I wouldn't think.

Gordon

6. johnson

johnson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    You said you were getting sky plus.Did you know it outputs s-vid as well?
    Regards

7. Tim Ashdown

Tim Ashdown

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Thanks simon, I am aware and I think that would be the easiest method (although not to sure if it would give the best results). I've just got off the phone and am a bit frustrated because I've been told I need to wait until Friday for anymore info. He doesn't seem too enthusiastic. Thats screwed my tv sale! Am seriously considering just waiting a little longer and getting the Panasonic. Joe, the price does include VAT. I do have what I would consider a real sound system, but I would like the slim line speakers for late night/casual viewing as its not in a dedicated viewing room. You guys are talking sense its just it seems a good deal and the money is a big issue. Joe, could you sell directly to me. If so, what price could you do me a 42pw4 in silver with pedestal stand for. I could add the speakers and tuner later if I decided I wanted them. How long do you normally take for delivery. Sorry to go on but I was pretty excited about getting my first plasma. I'm afraid I have to ask again if the pw4 will handle Pal/Ntsc progressive scan. Now I just need to sell my tv again! Thanks for all your help and advice gents.