need urgent help setting up toshx32, I've bugggered it all up now

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by stolt, Sep 23, 2004.

1. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    might be too late to get an answer now might be too late in the evening but I got my toshx32 today and Ive tried to set it up (yes I know I should have waited til the weekend) but I didnt I'm starting to wish I had but I've messed it all up now and can get sound but no picture.

I have a fujitsu plasma (bout 3 yrs old)
    sky digi box
    sharp vcr
    pionner dvd player
    sony stbr 940 amp/receiver
    & my tosh x32

I've got the plasma with phono leads leading out to a conector which on the other end has a scart lead this is plugged into avi 1.
    a scart lead from sky to the av2 socket,

as long as I get a pic and sound via sky I can connect all the rest up to the amp against the other connectors.

Unless someone can advise the right way to connect it all up together with which leads, I got optical leads and coxial leads, not sure what they do,
    tbh a mate (whos on holiday) set it all up 3 yrs ago and I havent had to touch it since. any help would be greatly appreciated.

rob

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    What connectors does your Plasma have? If you can't tell us that what model is it? ;)

Phono leads carry the audio. Does the lead in question have a third 'phono' connector for the Video picture? If not that is where your initial problem is! (initial because you don't want to connect up like that!) I am assuming your Plasma doesn't have a Scart input - in which case can you check to see if it has component (if your not sure what that is have a look on the back of your RDXS32 - do you have the same connectors on your Plasma?). Where you can pick up a component connectors at 1045pm on a Thursday evening is beyond me though!

3. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    rasczak i was hoping you would be around! ok the plasma has a svideo lead coming out of and a single phono lead coming out of it, the svideo lead is plugged as it originally was into the amp (svideo out socket) the plasma has no scart socket on it..

i bought loads of different leads got them sitting all next to me
    Ive just used the yellow red and white phons that came with the tosh and plugged them into the video 1 phonos on the amp and got sound its the picture that I still cant seem to get...

is that any help, probably confusing :laugh:

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    Okay - have a look at the back panel of your RDXS32. You should have a S-Video out socket. Connect this directly to the S-Video input on your Plasma and you should get a picture (but no sound).

You need a wire that looks like this.

5. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    yes i have a picture

6. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    :thumbsup:

If you can let me know what model of Plasma you have then I should be able to suggest methods of getting your other kit connected back. Although not tonight as I have been travelling all day!

7. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    ok thanks very much just found the manual its a fujitsu mdoel pds4208e-b
    from the manual it has video input connection, svideo input, and component video input

also have the following connections on each device

sharp video
    2 scart sockets
    and 2 audio outs

sky box
    svideo socket
    tv scart
    vcr scart

sony str db940 amp
    has loads of connectiosn phonos and coxial/optical connections

can I just check does an optical cable just carry the picture?

tired myself :boring: at least I'm not going worry about trying to connect it all up tonight. thanks once again :thumbsup:

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    No - an optical cable carries the sound only.

A rough solution to your setup issues will be:

Sky TV Out >>> AV2 on the RDXS32 and then Component Out >>> Component Input on your Plasma
    Component Cables look like this

Sky VCR Out >>> VCR Input

S-Video Output on your Amp >>> S-Video Input on your Plasma

You can then hook your Sky S-Video out, VCR TV out and DVD player (if you still want it) to your Amp by S-Video or Video connections (with phono connections). Connect the RDXS32 to the Amp by an optical lead and that will be the sound sorted as well.

9. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    sorry just come back to this thread been messing around before I went to bed, I've had a play around and suprised myself by getting it working although not sure its the best way, please let me know

Ive got the svideo lead from tv connected to svideo out on amp

from the sky Ive got tv scart connect to av2 on the tosh recorder, the sky vcr scart is one which has phono leads on the end, two on these ive connected to the tv in on the amp and the yellow is connected to the phono plug on the tv.

dvd player is connected via svideo to svideo in on amp and also have coxial from the dvd palyer connected to the dvd coxial socket on the amp

video is connected to the amp (video 2) by phono leads - oBviously only gives me sound
    The second scart I've now connected to the AV1 slot on the tosh recorder

ok my questions are, what do you think of that, is it the best way, secondly I want to be able to record from the video and dvd player ( I have wedding videos on disc and tape that I want to transfer to dvd to give to family etc)

I have a spare scart and svideo on the dvd player
    I have a spare svideo plus component on the tosh recorder

apologies for all the questions, just hope you can understand it all, confused the hell out me tonight not sure I'm going to be able to sleep got all these connection running through my mind.

thanks

rob

10. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    rascak - appreciate its too late tonight but would love some advice about getting the picture from the video to the tv.

ta

rob

11. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you are really only getting a second rate picture using s-video as your video signal. I strongly advise you buy some decent component leads this way you will also be able to take advantage of prog scan.

The only problem ONLY using component as your output to the plasma is that the quite useful SAT Moni function only works the scart output.

One solution would be to buy an RGB scart to S-VHS lead and to connect this from AV1 of your dvdr to your amp.

Do you want to be able to transfer VHS to dvd?

12. stolt

stolt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    hi bobbles thanks for the reply I've tried reading up on all this prog scan etc dont understand it fully. Yes I do want to be able to transfer my old tapes to dvd I cant get a picture on the tv from the video at the moment, I dont undertstand this looping of signal thing so not sure if I can connect the recorder to the video via the spare av2 scart which would give a picture on tv, or maybe from the dvd player to the recorder and the signal will loop vis the dvd player..

13. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    I would suggest just hooking the DVD player upto the Toshiba RDXS32 on an ad hoc basis, i.e. copy stuff you want in batches, unless you want to copy loads of disks.

You can however do as you suggest and buy a Scart block, for example a 2into1 adaptor (example). You could then connect the DVD player and Sky to the inputs and the output to AV2 on your DVD recorder.

Glad to have been of help.

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,572
    Rasczak

You have a PM!

Best regards

Joe