Need urgent Help! Setting up and Questions.

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by Uriel Bathan, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Uriel Bathan

Uriel Bathan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I just upgraded my home cinema and I currently have a Samsung UE37D6000 TV and the Yamaha RX-V377 A/V Receiver.

My question is, how do I know if my receiver is receiving DTS-HD or simply receiving a 5.1 channel signal. It is connected via HDMI Arc from my Samsung TV.

Currently on the receiver screen it's showing that it is on PLII Movie setting. I think PLII is just a 2.1 signal split into 5.1 as I've read in the dolby website "Dolby Pro Logic II transforms traditional stereo audio into 5.1-channel surround sound for a seamless listening experience full of presence and depth."

Please help. Having a 5.1 Surround System and only experiencing FAKE 5.1 while watching DVDs/Blu-Rays that have 5.1 feels like I'm being cheated. Thanks in advance.

2. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    OK - from what you say I guess that you have your Blu Ray connected directly to the TV and are then passing the audio back to the AVR - correct?

It is very unlikely that the TV is able to decode an incoming 5.1 audio stream as it is only set up to play stereo. The likely scenario is that the TV is down mixing the incoming 5.1 to a 2.0 stream and is passing this back to the AVR via ARC which is then using PLII processing to try and create a pseudo surround effect.

The easiest solution would be to connect the blu-ray player directly to the AVR.

The AVR will then be able to do its job and strip out the 5.1 / 7.1 audio information from the incoming feed for it's own use and pass the video forward to the TV.

Ideally all sources (Blu-Ray, SKY, PS4, XBOX, Media Streamers, Apple TV etc.) should connect directly to the AVR which will act as a switch and feed the TV with the appropriate video signal.

3. Uriel Bathan

Uriel Bathan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ohh I tried that today and nothing happened I connected it to my PS3 fed the PS3 with a disc with 5.1 and the AVR still uses the PLII.

Thanks for a fast reply and please help.

And just another question. Does all HDMI cables made the same? I mean, all of them are capable of transmitting 5.1 sound. Cause I had a problem with one of them using arc. One HDMI doesn't support ARC and the other one does.

4. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    You want high speed HDMI leads as these will cover you for all applications.
    ARC will not send HD audio so you will never get DTS-HD by routing the PS3 to the TV and then using ARC to the receiver.
    You probably did not set the PS3 and/or AVR up correctly if you did not get sound by connecting the PS3 direct to the AVR. Which input on the AVR did you use? Had you selected this input on the front? Do you have the amp set up to strip the audio out from the HDMI i.e. you do not have a passthrough function enabled?

5. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,570
    Oh Boy - the sales guys and girls must love you :)

DTS-HD - is available from Blu-ray Disc's encoded with DTS-HD where your Blu-ray Player is connected via HDMI direct to a compatible AVR.

You will know when you are receiving/decoding DTS-MA when the relevant light shows up on your AVR front panel, alternatively your ears may tell you (insert devil smiley here).

HDMI cable - is not the problem here, the problem is the complexity of setting up the system.

With a big investment in hardware would it make sense to consider paying someone to come in to properly configure the system for you?

Joe

6. Uriel Bathan

Uriel Bathan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I followed your suggestions and yes, I think it is now on 5.1 because the display on my Yamaha is showing PCM 3/4/0.1 . Everything is working fine now. Thank you!

Only thing is that now I've discovered that my TV doesn't output to 5.1 :(. I was surely hoping that my TV can do it because usually when I watch movies it's either on AllShare or my PS3. So I guess my only option is to do it via PS3.

7. Uriel Bathan

Uriel Bathan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in Barcelona so most of the sales rep here, know "something" about what my problem is so I didn't bother asking them.

Sorry if I didn't know if my receiver is decoding DTS-MA. I just bought it and configured it yesterday. I think that my ears aren't the problem here. Yeah, I know that for you, that must have had many High-End stuff can hear the difference between PLII and DTS. But for me that only been stuck with Computer Speakers connected via 3.5mm jack from my TV. Well yeah it's pretty hard.

With a big investment like this, yes, it makes sense to consider someone to come in and configure it properly. But I'm not that rich. That's why I tried to configure it properly. And most of all I DON'T WANT SOMEBODY TO CONFIGURE IT FOR ME BECAUSE I WANT TO KNOW HOW IT WORKS TOO!

8. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,570
    TV Audio - the majority of TV's only Output a 5.1 (DD) signal from onboard Tuner or 'smart' Apps and limit you to 2.0 when viewing external Sources connected via HDMI.

Sources - should be connected to your AVR not your TV.

ARC enabled AVR - should be connected to the ARC socket on the TV with the AVR HDMI Output configured to only pass Video to the TV.

TV - you will need to ensure HDMI CEC (Samsung call it Anynet) is enabled plus ARC enabled to ensure you can get the TV Tuner and App audio out to the AVR.

Learning is great but also frustrating as modern AVR's, TV's and Sources are so complex!

I don't buy the 'I'm not rich' bit - you just spent a small fortune on the hardware, to then not contemplate paying to have it configured properly is a very common problem I see almost daily, we see a lot of badly configured kit which is only operating at a fraction of its capabilities.

Joe

9. Uriel Bathan

Uriel Bathan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What I said is "I'm not that rich" so learning how to do it is what all I can do. Buying stuff is my fathers job. Configuring it is mine. I'm only 18 and studying. So you can consider me fortunate but not rich.

I have done all that you said about CEC and the connections to ARC. Connected the Bluray/PS3 directly to the AVR.

Now my problem is with the TV itself. Can the HDMI ARC transfer music or 5.1 to my AVR. I usually use the Samsung Allshare app to stream Movies to my TV.

Thank you very much for your knowledge.

10. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,570
    Do you have a link to the User Manual for the TV?

Joe

11. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    In theory arc can transfer 5.1 sound but not HD audio. This will only be from an internal tuner or smart app/function. So if the file you are streaming has a non HD audio 5.1 soundtrack then this should be able to be played through your system.

12. Uriel Bathan

Uriel Bathan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  13. Uriel Bathan

Uriel Bathan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm playing mkv files thru allshare with DTS. But still getting no surround. PS3 only accepts mp4 and avi so it takes to long to convert files that are 8-10 gb. So I really need to play movies via tv.

14. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,570
    Pg11. confirms 5.1 from Internal DTV only and whilst not specific about ARC I'd expect the 'limitation' as Outlined for the Optical Output applies equally to ARC.

Joe

15. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,570
    PS I Suspect you need to replace the PS3 as your media streamer if you want MKV with DTS-MA support - which is also lacking on the PS4 with its Media Player option.

A budget Samsung BD Player may be a good option for you.

Joe

16. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    So a PS3/PS4 will not stream HD audio but a cheap BD player can stream this?

17. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Yes - the latest PS4 Media player specs for MKV are :
    • Visual: H.264/MPEG-4 AVC High Profile Level 4.2
    • Audio: MP3, AAC LC, AC-3 (Dolby Digital)
    No HD Audio support - although in reality the difference between DD / DTS and their HD equivalents is not that great so you are not giving up that much.

The PS4 is after all really only a games console that has some functionality on it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  18. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    Does the Xbox one have the same limitation?

19. Ghostrider

Ghostrider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    Looks like it does - from everything I can see it doesn't even play DTS in MKV let alone DTS-HD.

Best bet is to buy a proper streamer like the Roku, WDTV or similar.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  20. Uriel Bathan

Uriel Bathan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update. Got my PS3 and TV to output Dolby Digital. But still having some problems outputing that magical DTS-HD MA. I know quality from DD and DTS are just the same but still I just want to know that everything is working allright. :)

21. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    What are you trying to get the hd audio from. If bluray then ps3 should output it but if streaming then it will not.

22. Uriel Bathan

Uriel Bathan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought Pearl Harbor with DTS-HD Master Audio. Put it in the PS3 but the PS3 only outputs the Dolby Digital.

23. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,443
    What have you set the PS3 to do with the audio. Do you have it set to bitstream or PCM?

24. Jim Di Griz

Jim Di Griz
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,299
    Just get a cheap Sony bluray player for the films? And they are cheap, been researching myself.

25. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,570
    Where you have DTS-MA on a Blu-ray Disc you can set the PS3 to LPCM and send that via HDMI to your AVR - you can't send it as Bitstream for the AVR to decode.

HD 101: How to use Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD with your PS3

DVD doesn't support 'HD' audio and as discussed above the PS3 can't support DTS-MA on streamed content.

How old is your PS3 - maybe someone can confirm if all PS3 support HD Audio as LPCM from a BD Disc!

Joe

26. Uriel Bathan

Uriel Bathan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got my TV and PS3 to output DTS to my AVR.