1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need urgent advise about DVD player !!! Please.

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Xtrips, Mar 29, 2003.

1. Xtrips

Xtrips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What do you think about a TAG DVD32FLR equipped with the PSM192 card for 3700 Euro (2540 GBP)?
    Although I think it is a good deal ( is it ? ) I am wondering if I need that much for my needs ?

Here are some details to elaborate:

- I don't care about the stereo audio. I am already equipped with Electrocompaniet's CD player and PreAmp.

- I do care about progressive scan. I use a Sony LCD proj.

- The PSM192 card, although installed on the DVD, will treat all incoming video signals coming from a TAG AV32 ( satellite, VCR, etc...)

- My AV preamp is a TAG Av32rEX Dual Processor THX Ultra2 7.1 blah blah blah.... : I think I will gain some other functionalities from the combination with an DVD32FLR.

Reasons for my hesitation:

- It is still expensive for a second-hand model.

- AlthoughI don't really care, it doesn't support DVDA and/or SACD. ( My stereo sound beats them all )

- Maybe I should go for a Lexicon or Meridian, but what about the PSM192 functionalities ?

- Where goes the technologie nowadays ? Isn't the DVD32FLR 'passe' ?

Thanks

2. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Xtrips.

I am afraid i am not really anything like the best qualified person to speak on DVD players/transports, (The Beekeeper is your man)
    But here are my thoughts/opiniions/second hand opinions:

Whilst the FLR is not quite on a par with 32R in absolute technical perfrormance this will be wholly dependant on what you are using it with.
    What are you using for display?
    Are far as i am concerned the Tag dvd transprt is still the one to beat.
    There are those that would say (very recently in fact) that the 32r is not really any better in real world performance terms (regardless of bench test results) than an Arcam 88+ at a quarter of the price and sync link regardless.
    I have read many negative reports on the PSM192 module with several people not at all convinced of it's financial worth, i cannot really offer an opinion of my own on this as i have only seen the unit running at the local Audio-excellence and frankly anything looks good compared to what i am used too - videophile i am not.
    Any way going on the amount of "unsures" i have observed on this product if it were my market i would not rush into anything.
    That said these unsures may have been relevant to the kit being used and certainly from a functionality point of view it is a very elegant solution
    The lack of high res (sacd) support is IMHO something to take into consideration, as i understand it Tag are developing for end of year release a high bandwidth digital link interface upgrade (a la' Pioneer) for their processsors, i am not aware however of their "plans" for support on current transport platforms.
    I apologise for tha lack of info here but video is something i have really yet to turn my attentions too.
    Is it as much brand loyalty for you as anything else, certainly if video is a big thing why did you not opt for the av192?.
    Is the dvd32 good - yes very.
    Is the psm good - not enough experience to speak of really but "opinion" would seem to be divided.
    Is it a good price - yes very IMHO (why is this?)

Sorry just read you are using a Sony LCD proj.
    Dare i say it but i would expect the Tag to show the Sony it's heels (if it's one of Sony's lower units), What are you currently
    using for source? can you not borrow this for the weekend?

Steve.

3. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hi

I would definitely look at it first

2500 pounds for a DVD player its alot

I have a Limit DVD player thats gives an awesome picture to my projector and it only cost 150 pounds

4. Steve.EX

Steve.EX

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Well ......

What can you say to that reply ;) ;) ;) .

5. gringottsdirect

gringottsdirect

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27

If little difference between 32r and Arcam DiVA 88+ reported by some, little difference between DiVA 88+ and Limit DVD-9900SE reported by others ( both utilise Zoran Vaddis 5 ) , might be a moot point.
    Don't Shoot Me I'm Only The Piano Player ! I haven't seen a Tag McLaren or a Limit :D

6. Spligsey

Spligsey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +137
    z546etc..

Is this the z man who has a BOSE system????.

To utter the TAG DVD32FLR in the same post as the LIMIT is an.......UTTER disgrace.

Adzman

7. z5461313

z5461313

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +167
    Hi Adzman

Yes its the Bose man

Please explain why it is a disgrace?

Adzman, have you seen the Limit? What we are trying to get is the best picture possible into a projector

Well currently using a Limit for me ( after trying many ) this gives me the best picture so far

I only said this a reference, and I haven't seen the TAG

8. CounterWhine

CounterWhine

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    Going back to the original question. I reckon £2540 is a little high. I'd be happier paying £2100. The DVD32FLR/PSM192 costs about the same as a basic DVD32R and I've seen them for £2200.

Try and shave a little off that price and you can use the money you save to buy a Limit. That way you'll have two top of the line DVD players for the price of one!

D.

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,956
    What projector is it exactly you have? I'm thinking the pj may not do the player any justice.

If it has a good internal scaler/deinterlacer, then pro-scan won't benefit you much.

The Limit is actualy a pretty good machine for the money, though when I compared it to a Toshiba SD520e, it looked a little soft in comparison (Tosh appears to have a higher quality DAC 540 lines. Limit 450 lines). Still a very good picture though.

The Pioneere 757i has a higher quality DAC than the Tosh, but only Pro Scan on NTSC. It costs around £600.

You could do worse than try the Limit from Richer Sounds and return it if it doesn't suit.

I'm almost tempted to suggest htpc...

Gary.

10. evans

evans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    if your loaded then its a good deal but still you should look at all your opions right?

11. Miron

Miron

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Xtrips, this question really sounds to me like "please tell me something not to buy it!"
    I was asking myself the same for some time and whatever reason I found against, I dropped it after a while and I ended with DVD32R!

Wish you a lot of fun with your (soon or later) new DVD32(FL)R

p.s. whatever they tell you about front loader, it is "on a par" in performance with toploader

12. Xtrips

Xtrips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am hesitating with a new Lexicon RT-10.
    Reviews and advises Please.
    THX.

13. Xtrips

Xtrips
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well here I am again....
    Considering the facts we know about Tag today, there is no more hesitation about it.
    Now should I get the Lexicon RT-10 or not ? And why ?