1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Urgent Advice

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Selayan, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Selayan

Selayan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys I'm new to this video editing thing, Well I have a project to do for my english class and we have to make a video parady of a play called The Crucible and my group and I want to make it look like Saturday Night Live and take the part out where at the begining of the show the actor comes out infront of the band on stage and announces wat is gona be on tonight's SNL, but instead of the guy we want to use ourselves in the picture. But first of all I need to know what kind of camcorder I need and what program I need to edit the vidoe we will shoot and then add the logo and some other stuff like colors and maybe like other print on the bottom of the screen. I have no clue what to do and I was hoping you guys could help me out. The project is due in like 2 weeks and I havent even goten a camera cuz I duno which kind, we need, but we need one that is able to be connected to the pc, and able to edit the video wit what I want and then play the video on a VCR.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    OK well the easy bit is the camcorder as any DV cam will be able to transfer the footage to a PC.

As for the PC, well you will need a firewire port (aka iLink, ieee1394 or DV port). You then need a 4 pin to 6 pin firewire cable to connect the cam to the port. If the PC does not have firewire then you can add the port for about £10 and this should include the cable. If you already have the port but not a cable then that will cost almost as much as both above.
    Software is wide open with options. you can do all you need with the free Movie Maker that is part of the Windows XP install, but make sure you have the free upgrade to MM2 that is part of the XP SP2. If the PC is not running XP then there are loads of software packages from Pinnacle, Ulead, Sony etc that will also do all you want and should cost under £50. Ulead & Pinnacle have free 30 day downloadable trials of the software on their web sites.

You say you need to put the final edit back on to a VHS tape. To do this you will need to have either a TV output on the PC or the camcorder will need to have DV-in enabled so you can save the footage back to DV tape and then connect the camcorder to a VCR to copy it to a VHS tape.

Good luck with the project and let us know how you get on.

Mark.

3. Selayan

Selayan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, thanks for the info, but dont the digital cameras that have those really small tapes, that you can put into some thing else like a VHS-C tape and then they go into an adapter and then into the VCR? Cuz it needs to be on a VCR, I duno if the tv at school have the out put so I can connect the camera to it. And even after editing the vidoe and adding music and all that, will it still play it directly from te camera to the tv? The outputs should be red, yellow, and white right? I have 2 sets of them on my pc, so how would that hel p me transfer the video to a VHS that goe into a VCR? Oh yeh u said that any Digital camcorder will work right? And I have tons of USB ports too, so no problems there.

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,389
    OK, the tapes that go into a converter and then get put in a VCR are VHSC tapes. These are analogue and the lowest quality of all camcorders, so IMHO best avoided. No other tape formats can be put directly into a standard VCR.
    USB is no good for getting the video onto the PC. You have to use firewire or a lot of quality will be lost. USB will only give the equivelent of webcam quality which is very low compared to what a DV camcorder is capable of.
    To get the footage off the PC and onto a VHS cassette you will need to have the yellow, red & white phono outputs (or stereo jack on soundcard to replace r&w phonos). These are analogue outputs that are needed to get anything recorded on a VCR, the standard VGA or whatever connections a standard PC has are no good for this. If there are none on the PC then you can copy the edited footage back to the camcorder as long as it has the DV-in port enabled (most cams in Europe don't, and I'm guessing you are in the USA and therefore this should not be a problem). Otherwise you can get a USB adaptor that will give the analogue phono outputs, but this will be lower quality.

Mark.

5. Selayan

Selayan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, i just noticed that next to my USB ports there is an iLink S400 slot. I'm guessing thats the firewire slot right? And there is another one in the back but its larger. Also, in the front are the red, yellow, white video 2 input and in the back there are the video 1 inputs. I dont think thats them that you said you could transfer it to VHS. Oh yeh, I'm looking for a camera but I cant find which one I need, I dont want a verv expensive one, just good enough to shoot video and then just edit it on pc and maybe like copy it back to the camera. There are alot of types, Mini Dv, Hi8, 8mm, anolog ones are no good cuz u cant edit. So I duno which one to get, I might just rent one for this project cuz it dont seem like I will need it later, but you never know. Oh yeh I also have a DVI port back there but duno what that will do.