1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need urgent advice please...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by steeve, Jan 16, 2004.

1. steeve

steeve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    About to buy a new TV, price isnt a real big problem, but I am confused with all the models out there. I was wondering if you "experts" would at least point me in the right direction.
    Need a TV really no bigger than 36, was interested in the Toshiba but have seen a number of complaints, plus a local dealer tells me to steer clear of such big CRT units and he tells me that he has a workshop full of Toshiba's needing repair!
    Thought about the 37" Panasonic plasma screen, is this any good? I like the new HDMI Pioneer but this is just too big for our room.
    Have read a number of the magazines but am completely confused, so any advice would really be helpfull....
    Many thanks STEVE.............:eek: :eek:

2. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    My personal feeling is that the 37" screens aren't that much cheaper than the 42" - its almost like you are being charged a premium for a smaller screen. Can you really not fit in a 42"?

If you really need a screen no bigger than a 36" CRT, that doesn't necessarily mean a 36/37" plasma.

The viewable area of your 36" CRT was probably around 86cm, which is only 34inches, so you might be able to get away with a 30/32" plasma/LCD.

It'd at least give you a little more choice.

3. funkin

funkin

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd like to agree with richard. We sit about 10 feet from the front of our 43" plasma screen and it doesn't look too big or make the room seem at all "odd" in the slightest. Paying the extra for a decent 43" screen is one of the best things we've ever done, and I thank my wife for convincing me that a 32" would have been too small (what was I thinking at the time!).

You're going to be spending 2.5-4k or more on a screen so really have a think about the size and get the tape measure out. I'll probably post a diagram later on with how we set up our room in the end. Good old Microsoft Visio helped us plan the layout of our living room just to make sure everything would fit before we took the plasma plunge.

4. steeve

steeve
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys, I appreciate your input. The corner where the TV sits really is too small for a huge screen. A 36" CRT TV would sit there ok, but I dont think anything any bigger would look right. I dont think you gents would recommend a CRT over a Plasma?
    Thanks for your help......

5. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    I'm actually going for the 30" philips (same viewable size as my 32" CRT)

this is mainly to free up space (and my TV is dying anyway).

I measured the chimney breast, and I don't think I could fit a plasma with speakers (and I would need speakers)

CRTs should have a better picture, and modern high spec ones have very good connections too (component, progressive scan etc)

If you're going to leave it in the corner anyway, and saving space isn't really an issue, then I'd save the money.

Having said that, I'd better get my coat before anyone else sees this post....:p

6. deman77

deman77
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    42" is a compromise.

if money is not a problem go for 50". It's fairly proof and you won't have PC connection problems like you get with 42". And the size of pixels on 50" is about the same as on 37".

If you think it's too big. Think again. You get extra 3ft of viewing distance compared to 36" CRT. You can always watch TV using PIP, and for DVD there is no plasma that's too big.