1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Lenzz, May 12, 2005.

1. Lenzz

Lenzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys

I want to upgrade from my EIKI LC-7000 that I got on ebay for £250. The low contrast ratio of 100:1 is really getting on my nerves. What would you recommend for around £500? I’m sure questions like this get asked all the time but I’m a total amateur and haven’t got a clue and could really use some advice.

Thanks
    Lenzz

2. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Toshiba ET1
    Epson TW10H
    Benq 5120

I'm presuming you want a 16:9 aspect ratio (ie widescreen to watch DVDs).

100:1 is seriously low contrast, you're in for a treat!...PJ :)

3. Lenzz

Lenzz
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replay. Witch one of those would be the superior or are they all roughly similar.

4. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Not seen any of them in action.

If it were me I'd be auditioning the 5120 first...PJ

5. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,119
    I agree with PJ regarding the Benq, but I saw a Targa DLP 854 x 480 pj from Lidl yesterday (a mate bought one and we had a look at it in my cinema room), and that was pretty good for £500. Not having seen the Benq I can't say what is better but I would think the Benq would have the edge.

Gary.

6. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +563
    Is the Targa the one which has optical lens shift? If so how effective was it?

...PJ

7. Maff et1

Maff et1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ET1 is the cheapest (about 370 or so)
    Epson and Benq are simlar prices (about 550)

Epson and ET1 are both LCD and have simlar picture quality. However the Epson has cheaper replacement lamps, and a zoom lens (but the ET1 is alot cheaper).

The Benq is DLP rather than LCD, is a much more recent design (hasn't been released long I don't think) and should be brighter.

LCDs all suffer from some degree of 'screendoor' (horizontal and vertical lines between pixels) whereas DLP can show rainbows (flickers of different colours). Its best to demo a DLP before buying (well, it's always best to demo). Also, different people are suspectable to rainbow effects by different amounts, so if anyone else is going to spend alot of time watching it then get them to demo it aswell.

For my money I went for the ET1, and am very happy with the it. Excellent value. However the 5120 wasn't arround at the time (or atleast I hadn't heard of it) and it may well be worth the extra, I would certainly look at it if buying now.

8. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,119

That's the one - seemed to work quite well and I didn't notice any obvious chromatic aberation or focusing problems, but I didn't have much time to look at it that closely. The pj had to be within the screen as the shift wouldn't allow the image to be projected above or below the lens, in fact, in may have to be well inside the screen because I got the impression it was more limited than my Optoma.

I think it produces a very watchable picture for the money, but the deinterlacing wasn't as good as something with Faroudja and the black level was a bit high, but those were the only obvious things that I could see. Component seemed to produce the best image, as I didn't have powerstrip on my PC so couldn't get a pixel to pixel image from it so that was a bit fuzzy on the desktop using 800 x 600.

for most first timers it's a great entry level machine - very similar in many respects to my old Davis DLS8 but with the advantage of no light spill and a built in scaler/deinterlacer that was considerably better. Given that my DLS8 cost £2400 nearly 5 years ago, this is around a fifth of the price and a bit better. It has some interesting features such as wall colour correction too, so your wall doesn't have to be white. :)

Gary.