Need to upgrade RAM.

Bald Runner

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have an oldish PC (9 years) that still works OK but It would benefit from more RAM. My MoBo is an ASUS P7H55M which I believe can only hold 16Gb of RAM. I currently have 8Gb of DDR3 RAM in 4 strips of 2Gb. I intend to upgrade to 16Gb but am not sure whether 4x4Gb or 2x8Gb is best.
I have attached a screenshot of my current RAM configuration in case it is of use.

Useful advice welcomed

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-11-16 12.19.16.png
    Screenshot 2019-11-16 12.19.16.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 38
They're the same from a performance perspective on a dual channel platform like that.

2x8GB will allow you future upgrades for less money, but 4GB sticks were more common and are likely to cheaper per gigabyte to get hold of now.

And your motherboard may or may not work with 8GB sticks.

Thank you both for your replies.
I have downloaded the MB manual and it does indeed appear that it must be 4x4Gb

Mark

Thank you both for your replies.
I have downloaded the MB manual and it does indeed appear that it must be 4x4Gb

Unless it explicitly says it won't work with 8GB sticks that may just be because 8GB sticks weren't available at the time so I wouldn't take it as definitive if more than 16GB would be of benefit.

Unless it explicitly says it won't work with 8GB sticks that may just be because 8GB sticks weren't available at the time so I wouldn't take it as definitive if more than 16GB would be of benefit.
The maximum that the board can accommodate according to the MB manual is 16Gb
I've ordered 4x4Gb from Amazon having confirmed the required components on the Crucial site using their scan facility. They themselves didn't have it but it's their branded products on Amazon.
Go figure...

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom