1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need to upgrade from Mission 75 series

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by C227, May 2, 2005.

1. C227

C227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I currently have a set of mission 753's and mission 75C centre.

Im getting bored with the sound now. Not enough bass, too bright, imaging not great. They do go nice and loud though but its too harsh.

What else is out there that looks good, has a better balance, has better imaging and can go farily loud.

I was thinking B&W P series or Kef reference (doesnt have to be brand new).

I have heard of Kef Ref 2's and was well impressed but they didnt go very deep in the bass department. However, probably one of the better sounds Ive heard.

Any suggestions?

2. Timmy C

Timmy C

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +206
    Are they 753's or 753f ? If they are the 753f model then depending on the colour I know someone who may want them!

I don't know what you're running them with but you may want to consider trying an amp upgrade as they sound great with the right kit.

3. C227

C227
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    They are the origional 753's.

I am using a Cyrus Dad7 CD Player, Cyrus 3 amp with PSX-r.

They do sound very good but Ive tried alot of equipment with them and they are just havent got any deep bass.

Ive been looking at B&W CDM7SE's aswell.

4. tom_nieto

tom_nieto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I use a pair of mission 783s and fine them to be excellent with my Cyrus 3. There's loads of bass on tap.

5. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    :thumbsup:
    Your problems the Amp mate :) Theres no way that little Cyrus has enough current to put all those drive units through there paces. A mate of mine had a Cyrus IIIi driving 753Fs and it used to run out of steam big time (it even used to over heat and shut down!), Those Missions are capable of fairly serious amounts of bass on the end of a decent amp :smashin: You need something with a minimum of about 150WPC and 30amps to really put em through there paces. Remember if you had a small car with a 1.2L engine and you weren't pleased with the performance, putting tractor wheels on it wouldn't make it go any faster. You need a bigger engine

6. Mark Grant

Mark Grant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +171
    I agree with Thunder, try another amplifier before changing the speakers.

See if you can borrow something to try at home before buying.

Good luck !

Mark.

7. russraff

russraff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    The original 75 range was very bright, hence the "freedom" revision if memory serves. I heard some 753's on a Arcam Alpha 9 amp, an amp you could never term bright, and the Missions still sounded harsh, to me. Cyrus kit will only make matters worse as their house sound is a dry and forward one. Though I do like Cyrus kit a lot I can see how you are becoming fatigued by the mix you have. The KEF ref range is certainly more relaxed and a much better speaker, but you will have power problems mentioned elsewhere, I reckon. In addition, the KEF ref range of old had their bass delibrately rolled off to keep the speaker as articulate as possible.
    If you want to keep you amplification, but want a more detailed, yet less insistant speaker then I would go for Castle who have a wonderfully enveloping sound that, while warm, is never boring. Mission's own Elagante range would suit well, too. Stear clear of Monitor Audio Silver, Tannoy Sensys and Ruark for the same reasons you want to get rid of your Missions.
    There is some gains to be made from your amplification, but you will never get rid of that brighter Mission 75' character.

Russell

8. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

C227, I used some Mission 752 Freedoms (still own them in fact) for many years and with various gear and various rooms/houses/flats.

Lilke you say, the sound is anaemic and uninteresting. Detailed, precise imaging (contrary to what you found) but within a very narrow soundstage.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, it depends what your budget and musical tastes are, but the other options youre thinking of are more of the same really..

You could 'downgrade' in terms of resolution but upgrade in excitement with B&W DM603s or Rega Juras...or get a combination of both with Kef XQ5s...or go for a sea-change and import the most realistic speakers I've ever heard in my life - Klipsch RF-7s...if you want it to sound like the act is in your living room, this is it for me.

All those are ones I've heard and think are brilliant and completely different in to the Missions...I own the B&W DM603 S2s (as replacement for the Missions - night and day difference, from frowning to smiling)...and they are party animals compared to the upmarket B&W bookworms.

I think a 'non-British' sound might be what you're after -this doesnt necessarily mean non-British - as russraff says, I too find Castle speakers to be warm and rich (though not terribly exciting).